Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Cover

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

zabbo wrote:
    I'd be surprised if we don't create one, someone like Fitzgerald has the attributes to play FB/Wing/Centre

I hope he does too....I notice himself and quite a few other Leinster boys are in the elite academy as earmarked for extra "grooming" towards the Full team.

Leinster: Luke Fitzgerald, Jamie Heaslip, Trevor Hogan, Robert Kearney, Kieran Lewis, Ronnie McCormack
    Connacht: Daniel Riordan
    Munster: Barry Murphy
    Ulster: Tommy Bowe, Stephen Ferris, Roger Wilson, Bryan Young

Good to see 2 props 4 or 5 potential centres but no OHs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

shmaido wrote:
    how is he supposed to get the experiance if isn't given the chance, he's certainly got the talent, its not like i'm expectiing him to take over the fulback position but just merely as cover and gradually get the experiance over time, i'm not sure what you mean about not deserving it though, look at mick o'driscoll, how much game time has he had, HEC level or international level (or even magners level), does he desreve it?

Let him play some magners/HEC rugby, then throw him give him international games. I cant think of many second rows that would challenge for a subs spot. Maybe Mal again, but i'd prefer to give Leo cullen a chance if before Mal.

has Kearney not lost his place at FB to fitzgerald?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

has Kearney not lost his place at FB to fitzgerald?

There swapped back and forth at leinster.

Doubt we'll be seeing fitzgerald at centre he played there for a while during the sct last year without accomplishing much but as soon as he changed to fullback he looked very threatening.I believe he's much more at home at full back.

Id still pick kearney ahead of his due his his kicking, and slight bit more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Kearney has been on great form of late. Although LB has been injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭redmca

We all are agreed on the areas lacking cover, OH, Props, Centres.

What EOS has to do after the Scottish game (where defeat is unthinkable) is to forget the 6-nations and blood some of the possible alternatives in the Italy game, in particular Paddy Wallace, Trimble in the centre alternating with BOD and GD on the bench. Maybe rest at least 1 of the front line props.
    In fact, if the game in Murrayfield goes well, some of these changes should start well before the 60th minute

I think Mick O'Driscoll isn't World Cup material. Leo Cullen deserves a chance, and a fit Mal O'Kelly must make the WC squad either way.

Even more so on the half-mad trip to Argentina, EOS must protect our irreplaceable assets from the ultra-physical Pumas.

Who would pick the back row for the WC squad, what a fantastic wealth of talent. Pick 6 (probably) from:
    Wallace, Leamy, Easterby, Best, Gleeson, Quinlan, Heaslip, Ferris, Jennings, probably missed 1 or 2 ..........

• Advertisement
Advertisement