Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair staightners for men

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dudess wrote: »
    It's not the appearance, it's the act of doing it in the first place.

:D Exactly. Ridiculously girly thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :D Exactly. Ridiculously girly thing to do.

i disagree, its ok like, shows the guy is a tad obsessed with his looks but mehh if he is it probably means he is good looking and slightly cocky...awwwwh love it haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It's not the appearance, it's the act of doing it in the first place.

Sooo.... are you saying caring about appearance and taking steps to improve it is girly?

Does shaving, washing and making the effort to pick nice clothes also constitute "girliness"?

EDIT: To the post above, a tad obssesed? I've timed myself, into and out of the shower, fully dressed to fully dressed in <5mins. Certainly <10mins to dry and straighten hair. Ready to go out in <15 minutes.

Hardly "obssesive"? (and I do realise the act of timing myself would seem obsessive, but I'm lazy and I like to stay in bed as late as possible before college, and wait til the last minute before getting ready to go out!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

yes, you big girls blouse. clearly you enjoy anal sex with men.

Hanley wrote: »
    Sooo.... are you saying caring about appearance and taking steps to improve it is girly?

Does shaving, washing and making the effort to pick nice clothes also constitute "girliness"?

There's a big difference bewteen general cleanliness and being girly. Moisturising and hair straightening crosses the line.

• Advertisement

There's a big difference bewteen general cleanliness and being girly. Moisturising and hair straightening crosses the line.
    but then they'd have good smooth skin like thats always good

Why?

If it's because it's traditionally a female thing, then surely a girl shaving her legs is "manly" since it's traditionally a male thing....?

aliqueenb wrote: »
    but then they'd have good smooth skin like thats always good

If you're a girl.
    Why?

If it's because it's traditionally a female thing, then surely a girl shaving her legs is "manly" since it's traditionally a male thing....?

Well in my lifetime I don't know any bloke who shaves their legs (save for the odd swimmer) and all the women I know do so for me it's traditionally a female thing, same as hair straightening.

mehh, i wouldn't like a lad with really straightened hair tho, messy bed head look is sooo good on guys like!...paired with some calvin klein boxers, ralphie polo, hollister jumper, and some nice jeans of course, yes i do have a very small range of likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

To be fair, if a guy puts on a bit of moisturiser to prevent his skin getting flaky, that's just practical.

• Advertisement

To be fair, if a guy puts on a bit of moisturiser to prevent his skin getting flaky, that's just practical.

Yeah can I agree on that. I use it when I get sunburnt to stop peeling however to use it to make your skin soft is a whole different ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I personally think it's a shockingly shallow point of view to judge someones masculinity on using a hair straightener.

I find it somewhat ironic that some of the people who admit to using hair straighteners here are, from what I've gathered through other forums, probably some of the least "girly" guys out there. Kinda of makes the whole idea that using a hair straightener somehow makes the user more feminine laughable really.

mloc wrote: »
    I personally think it's a shockingly shallow point of view to judge someones masculinity on using a hair straightener.

I find it somewhat ironic that some of the people who admit to using hair straighteners here are, from what I've gathered through other forums, probably some of the least "girly" guys out there. Kinda of makes the whole idea that using a hair straightener somehow makes the user more feminine laughable really.

It doesn't make them more feminine. It's just a girly thing to do.

Xavi,

My point was guys were the first to shave anywhere, then girls copied.
    mloc wrote: »

So true. Since they cast the first stone tho, I'm gonna go right ahead and judge them too!! (not really)

To be honest, I don't really care what anyone thinks of my choice to use a hair straightener. If it somehow calls my masculinity into question then so be it. I doubt anyone who actually knew me would make such a statement.

The over-riding feeling that I'm getting here is that a guy caring about his appearance is girly? (and lets be real, alot of guys only care about their appearance to get girls. So that alone should make the whole argument irrelevant!)

The over-riding feeling that I'm getting here is that a guy caring about his appearance is girly? (and lets be real, alot of guys only care about their appearance to get girls. So that alone should make the whole argument irrelevant!)

Yep I would agree with you on that, and as I said cleanliness is important but again, there is a line. After all, what girl wants to go out with a guy who she'll have to fight for the bathroom/mirror with?

No problems with you doing it, personal choice and all that but it is a girly thing to do no matter what spin you put on it.

Yep I would agree with you on that, and as I said cleanliness is important but again, there is a line. After all, what girl wants to go out with a guy who she'll have to fight for the bathroom/mirror with?

Like I said... 15 mins!! ;)

I know guys who spend longer than that on the throne.

Like I said... 15 mins!! ;)

I know guys who spend longer than that on the throne.

Damn right they do! Now THAT is a manly activity! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

There was a time in this country when men used to bath once a week. There was a time when using gel, mousse or anything other than Old Spice was deemed girly or gay.

Using straighteners is neither gay nor girly, its only the fcukwits who like to project an air of masculism who have a problem with, but let them shave with broken glass as they are the uber men.

For the record, I dont use them, my hair isnt long enough.

I think "Nivea for Men" is a laugh, it taps into the "Duh, it must be alright, it wont turn me gay" mentality.

If I started seeing a guy and I discovered he used a hair straightener, it would turn me off him hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Personally I think some women are threatened by blokes who look after themselves, and think theyre "fake" or feminine or whatever. But fact is, the more effort you put in (without crossing a certain line, my hair is straight but I style it messy for example), the better your chances on the pull, simple right?

The amount of things a girl can "fake" to get a bloke better looking than she deserves is staggering - longer eyelashes, fake tan, push up bra, tummy tucking underwear, lip gloss, heels to look taller, hair extensions etc etc etc. If a bloke wants to improve their appearance to get a better looking girl than hes used to, fair dues to him. And again, an indie style with a straightener is different to a metrosexual style and is ten times better

Indie - straight but styled to be messy, looks cool
    Metrosexual - probably dyed blonde or red or some crap, a mullet

• Advertisement

Well "indie" has lost its original meaning so. Because back when the term was coined, messy hair wasn't something that was "created" as part of it. They just happened to have messy hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Perhaps, but all generations mix and match different styles, genres from the past. Also whilst indie bands in the 90s werent too concerned with their appearance, a lot of indie hair today takes inspiration from early 70s looks, for example Rod Stewarts hair back when he fronted The Faces. And Rod takes a LOT of time on his mane

If I started seeing a guy and I discovered he used a hair straightener, it would turn me off him hugely.

Is that not extraordinarily shallow?
    Indie - straight but styled to be messy, looks cool
    Metrosexual - probably dyed blonde or red or some crap, a mullet

Surely you mean "skobie"?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its also extraordinarily shallow to be hugely turned off my someone you find very ugly.

People are shallow.

Advertisement