Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Deterring thieves

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I like the idea of a switch.

As I mentioned previously, I'm in the habit of taking a HT lead and or the Rotor Arm. Now, if they try to start the car, it wont.

But, I have a switch on the dash doing nothing (it was for spot lights) but the wiring is still heading into the loom from the switch. If they try to take the car, it wont start and they'll probably think that the switch is a coil cut off or something!

Just another Idea. why not remove the fuel pump fuse along with a switch. The idea is that the fuse is an easy find, but the real protection (switch) is still not found.

My favourite place for them switches is behind the trim by the handbrake. The only way to find them is with the handbrake up, and put your finger in behind the trim to get at the switch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ianobrien wrote:
    I like the idea of a switch.

As I mentioned previously, I'm in the habit of taking a HT lead and or the Rotor Arm. Now, if they try to start the car, it wont.
    A bit long winded but yes it works. I do it myself or something similar when I leave the car for any length of time
    Just another Idea. why not remove the fuel pump fuse along with a switch. The idea is that the fuse is an easy find, but the real protection (switch) is still not found.
    Good plan again.
    My favourite place for them switches is....
    And it's the first place I'd look, especially now you put it online. Now no offence but FFS scum have computers too and you've just given them the exact location of where you or anyone else may put a switch. Very bad plan. I would edit that pronto. Never give out your location of these things online or to "mates" or when you may sell the car to potential purchasers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I have one of the locks (that covers most of the sterering wheel) linked from the first page on my motor. Are they really any good? Are they the hardest of the steering locks to break?

And how would one go about breaking one (PM me if you know, id like to know so i can asses the quality of it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

prospect wrote:
    One of my top deterrent tips is light.

Install a 500w sensor floodlight pointing down in the area where your car is. Anyone goes near the car at night is not going to want to be so clearly visable.

just make sure you focus the sensor and the light properly, one of my neighbours has one of these, and it lights up half the street if even a cat walks past it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

Not living in a scum infested aread usually works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jocksy wrote:
    Great in theory, but I live nowhere near a scum infested area and I've had a car stolen. Thinking like that and ignoring basic security, sooner or later if you live in a city, you're going to get hit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭maidhc

Jocksy wrote:

:) Have to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I used not to live in a scummer area. I do now, and I haven't moved. They're breeding, lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

At the end of the day, this works the best:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/232777.stm

_232777_car300.jpg

Works in South Africa! :D

overdriver wrote:
    I used not to live in a scummer area. I do now, and I haven't moved. They're breeding, lads.
    That'll be the well known effects of dutch gold on the mating habits of the greater spotted scumbag then.
    Max Damage wrote:
    At the end of the day, this works the best:
    Oh how I wish I could me fry me up a scumburger.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement