Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did Germany bomb Dublin in 1941?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

i thought it was meant to be liverpool.

It could have been I'm not sure.

I was reading up and Hitler actualy had plans to invade Ireland but only by invitation.Since the British planned on Invading us again during the war Hitler planned to send us weaponry and such to fight them so I don't think they would have Bombed us on Purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ballsofire23

There was no need to have the Irish part of the plan. The irish were meaningless to the Germans. Absolutely no use. At all. I
    I would have assuemd if he invaded Ireland, he would have gased you. Because the Irish would not have been classed as anything to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mick86 wrote:
    All English cities were blacked out, Irish cities weren't. The fact that he could see Dublin should have indicated he wasn't over his intended target. The Irish government treated as an accident because to do otherwise would mean having to take action.

As posted above, I was always lead to believe that all Irish cities were blacked out as well, to avoid giving either side an idea of their whereabouts. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

There was no need to have the Irish part of the plan. The irish were meaningless to the Germans. Absolutely no use. At all. I
    I would have assuemd if he invaded Ireland, he would have gased you. Because the Irish would not have been classed as anything to continue.

Post of the year anyone? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

You should real check things up before posting.

Read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Green_(Ireland)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They found the Guerilla campaign the Irish had 'defeated' the British with quite fascinating. Although the British may have been bad during the War of Independance, I doubt warfare would have lasted long in Ireland, even of the guerilla type, given the unpreceedented brutalness of the Germans in retaliating to such attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Oh really! Dont know where your from Ballsofire23, just keep up the xenophobic comments, and see how far it gets you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I doubt the germans bombed dublin over a Few Fire Engines

Chances are it was a mistake, there would be no way of estabilishing for certain.

Nice to know the Ireland can be Bombed and a apology will suffice. Personnally I think even if De-Valera was informed off every aspect of Hitlers war he would not have joined in the war effort.

As for the return of the 6 counties for joining the war I could not see it happening but it would have at least given two sides of the island a shared enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,258 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh really! Dont know where your from Ballsofire23, just keep up the xenophobic comments, and see how far it gets you :rolleyes:
    Um, the Nazis considered the Irish untermenschen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Smushbush

we helped the british in northern ireland when the bombed it....maybe thats why?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote:
    Um, the Nazis considered the Irish untermenschen.
    do tell..

Advertisement