Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'what ever happened to...' thread

Options
  • 14-02-2007 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

a thread on personalities from tv that just dropped off the face of the planet, what happened - Irish examples

Joe Maxi, Thelma Mansfield, yer man Andy with the long hair from the Fanta Roadshow and Electric Eddie, the ugly knack kevo who got the gig in RTE cos gaybo was his uncle, that tosser tony-wilson-wannabe from the early days of tv3 who did the music show and said ' go forth and preach' or sumtin at the end of each show,bibi baskin, bianca lynx?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Aonghus McAnally

television legend. what is he doing these days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Anyone know where BiBi (Sp?) Baskin went??

Didn't she have a chat show on RTE in the early 90's?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Yer man Andy (Ruane) has a television production company - i think it's called "like it love it productions"...I think Bianca Lukys is a music journalist....Bibi has a hotel/spa in India...

what ever happened to ciara off the den?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Thelma wears wastecoats and works in art. Doesn't like being talked to and hangs around wit young artist hippies.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Two words: "Mad Mary"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I remember Kevo doing some kids game reviews thing on Saturday mornings and the game reviews in the Sunday World.
    Ah just found this also. :)

Is Arthur Murphy (Mailbag) still about? What a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Ruu wrote:
    Is Arthur Murphy (Mailbag) still about? What a guy.
    he was on podge and rodge the other night...it's repeated on friday if you missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Shared a stage with Aonghus McAnally two year sago at the Clarinbridge Oyster Festival. He even played some drums with us. He can still wig out on the guitar pretty well.
    For this year he was relpaced nearly at the last minute as he had fallen ill. Never heard what happened after that.
    Sound Bloke
    Seventh son of a seventh son of a seventh son of a postman!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I have them all locked up in a room.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bibi runs a posh B&B in Kerala, India.
    I kid you not.
    http://www.raheemresidency.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

seabee wrote:
    Yer man Andy (Ruane) has a television production company - i thinl it's called "like it love it productions"

Yep, Andy Ruane was the guy's name alright and he did indeed set up the "like it love it" production company. Last I heard, the company was responsible for "inflicting", shall we say, on us the original version of 'The Lyrics Board' (with the aforementioned Aonghus McAnally as presenter, coincidentally enough. Remember that?) which Ruane then sold the rights to all over the world and apparantly made the guy a fortune. Haven't heard of him since then. Maybe he just retired after that with all his new found wealth or something, who knows.
    seabee wrote:
    I think Bianca Lukys is a music journalist

Well, she was doing the whole music journo-type gig on '2TV' (was that the name of it? :confused: I can't remember exactly. You know that music show that used to be on Network 2 of a Sunday morning that replaced 'The Beat Box'?). But I haven't heard of her since then so I don't know if she's still doing the music journo thing these days or not.
    seabee wrote:
    what ever happened to ciara off the den?

Was she the good-looking blonde who used to be on 'The Den' back when Ray D'Arcy was presenting it? And who Zig and Zag and Dustin used to make fun of and say that her and Ray were going out together and were going to get married someday and all that stuff? :D Yeah, whatever happened to her alright? She was a hot bit of stuff alright, wasn't she? ;):D Haven't heard of her since back then though, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

Anyone remember Teresa Lo? Woman who presented 'Where in the world?'

That was a cool show, on at 8:00 on Sunday night before Glenroe:cool:

And then bed and dreading primary school the next morning! :(

*rubs eyes* Is this her? Can't be! :)

Ruu wrote:

Crikey you're right! OMG i remember her now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Ruu wrote:

Ah I remember her being hotter than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Joe Maxi
    Could be rather difficult to locate Joe Maxi these days considering that's not actually a person but a TV show from the late 80s. You may be confusing the name with Maxi who was a person, a show band singer from the 70s I think. She sang in a band called Maxi, Dick and Twink.

And speaking of Thelma Mansfield, where's Derek Davis these days? Other than the odd appearance on Gift Grub I haven't heard of him in ages, not really a bad thing though. Also, Ronan Collins and Simon Young spring to mind for some reason.
    basquille wrote:
    Two words: "Mad Mary"
    I presume you're referring to Mary Kingston, <shudder>. That one would wreck your head and is probably best forgotten.

jor el wrote:
    I presume you're referring to Mary Kingston, <shudder>

a grade A pain in the hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

jor el wrote:
    Simon Young .

jaysus there's a blast from the past - any idea what he's doing now?

There's a barber in swords called Kevs and the bloke who owns it is the spit of that guy Kev from RTE 2 - must be just a coincidence, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

ah yes, my memories are hazy of joe maxi- who was yer one in it then with the short lesbien style haircut with a penchant for purple doc martins and skipance? used to do all the features stuff out on the street an all?

How the hell do i know that name Simon young?did he have red hair and give away 'goodypacks' on whatever he was on?wasnt he a dj aswell?
    Shay healy? yer one suzanne duffy from megazone?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

I think Ciara Carroll was working in PR (or something similar) for Dublin Airport.

http://www.dublinairport.com/about-us/media-centre/media-contacts.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ah yes, my memories are hazy of joe maxi- who was yer one in it then with the short lesbien style haircut with a penchant for purple doc martins and skipance? used to do all the features stuff out on the street an all?
    I know who you're talking about and can picture her now, but can't for the life of me remember her name.
    How the hell do i know that name Simon young?did he have red hair and give away 'goodypacks' on whatever he was on?wasnt he a dj aswell?
    He hasn't DJd in a good few years now (at least not on 2FM anyway), I think he has been fairly seriously sick or something. Who remembers Pop-a-rama? Pop-a-rama pop pop, pop pop-a-rama, pop-a-rama pop pop, pop pop-a-rama, etc (I shouldn't remember that :eek: ), he was on that. He also was the voice of "Jimmy" that used to ring Ian Dempsey in the mornings and tell jokes (back when Dempsey was on 2FM's breakfast show). I think he might have been one of the presenters to do the Beatbox, 2FM & Network 2 simulcast show on Sunday morning-afternoons. Peter Collins also did that and I think Ian Dempsey had a time on it too.

I'm not too sure about this bit, but I'd be pretty sure Simon did the voice on a radio ad over the Christmas period for Santa Bears for some charity or other. "Buy a bear, show you care, hurrah for Santa Bear" the jingle went. Sounded a lot like him.

Hey Soimon, yeah, wha' toime is eh? Ring any bells?

And so ends the Simon Young bibliography.
    Shay healy? yer one suzanne duffy from megazone?
    Did Shay Healy do that RTE music quiz with what's his name from Def Leppard and had Dave Fanning presenting?
    Mossy Monk wrote:
    a grade A pain in the hole
    :D and LOL spring to mind. Made me laugh anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

jor el wrote:
    I'm not too sure about this bit, but I'd be pretty sure Simon did the voice on a radio ad over the Christmas period for Santa Bears for some charity or other. "Buy a bear, show you care, hurrah for Santa Bear" the jingle went. Sounded a lot like him.

Did Shay Healy do that RTE music quiz with what's his name from Def Leppard and had Dave Fanning presenting?

I think the santa bear voiceover was Ronan Collins.

That music quiz was called Number 1, my memory's a bit hazy but i remember it being hosted at the beginning by David Heffernan with Dave fanning as one of the team captains and when Dave Fanning took over as host Gerry ryan was drafted as team captain against Joe Elliott. Shay Healy could have been a guest on it at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Anyone know what ever happened to that guy Simon Young??

I think young was his surname. AFAIK he used to talk about music etc. on the Den in the early 90's, but I never heard from him again.

I think he had red hair and some sort of moustache, although I could be open to correction. :confused:

you are correct. what he does now though i dont know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Anybody remember... Pugwall!!!

That dude was just the coolest. He was on TV around 1995/96. I don't think I ever understood what he was saying, and looking back now the acting was pretty dire, but what a guy... what a show!

As for what's become of him... I looked him up on google (Jason Torrens) and he seems to have fallen into oblivion. Junior Manager in a Melbourne McDonalds or something these days, no doubt.

I wonder if he ever got his amplifier...

InFront wrote:
    Anybody remember... Pugwall!!!

That dude was just the coolest. He was on TV around 1995/96. I don't think I ever understood what he was saying, and looking back now the acting was pretty dire, but what a guy... what a show!

As for what's become of him... I looked him up on google (Jason Torrens) and he seems to have fallen into oblivion. Junior Manager in a Melbourne McDonalds or something these days, no doubt.

I wonder if he ever got his amplifier...

OMG how gay was he?? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Nah I don't think so, what about Jenny?

Kojak wrote:
    Anyone know what ever happened to that guy Simon Young??

I think young was his surname. AFAIK he used to talk about music etc. on the Den in the early 90's, but I never heard from him again.

I think he had red hair and some sort of moustache, although I could be open to correction. :confused:

I think he is a DJ (used to be on 2FM not sure if he is anymore), might have given that up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

jor el wrote:
    Could be rather difficult to locate Joe Maxi these days considering that's not actually a person but a TV show from the late 80s. You may be confusing the name with Maxi who was a person, a show band singer from the 70s I think. She sang in a band called Maxi, Dick and Twink.

Was that the Maxi that presented Rapid Roulette.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

What about Forty Coats??

Advertisement