Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag Rugby

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

worrytahs,

again, thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Goblin_insane

hey anyone know of a team looking for players? I would love to get back to playing some tag rugby (used to play alot in school). Thanks for any help [pre-emptive strike] :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

Goblin, if you email tag@irishrugby.ie saying you're looking for a team you'll get some help there.
    Otherwise if you've enough for a team, go to www.irfutag.ie, check out the venues and if you find a venue near you, register your team there.
    Have to warn you that some venues are full, so if you still wish to play there, use the above email address and ask to be put on a waiting list. You never know.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Goblin_insane

hey thanks that all worked out. Tonight there was an event held to create teams so now I have group of us all willing and eager to learn and play. So I have a question - Out of the 10 people I am the only one who has played rugby (but have no experience really with tag) so we have 3 weeks to learn how to play. Now I'm currently reading the rule book but at this moment I would like to get together some info on a training regime for beginers. Currently in my head I have the following concept-

1. Fitness and stretching
    2. Skills training (passing, and tagging)
    3. mini - game (learn through experience)

now I would like to figure out some drills for this stuff rather then having it all hap hazard like :) So any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

adios
    goblin

hey thanks that all worked out. Tonight there was an event held to create teams so now I have group of us all willing and eager to learn and play. So I have a question - Out of the 10 people I am the only one who has played rugby (but have no experience really with tag) so we have 3 weeks to learn how to play. Now I'm currently reading the rule book but at this moment I would like to get together some info on a training regime for beginers. Currently in my head I have the following concept-

1. Fitness and stretching
    2. Skills training (passing, and tagging)
    3. mini - game (learn through experience)

now I would like to figure out some drills for this stuff rather then having it all hap hazard like :) So any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

adios
    goblin

1. Well, running fitness would be a help for sure. Stretching before a game and 'warming down' after a game are vitally important when striving to avoid injury. I'm not really qualified to advise on this area however. If I see any worthy links, I'll post 'em for sure.

2. Skills can be the difference in making a game all the more worthwhile. Getting in line and passing end to end in an advance up the field is a starting point. Never mind the spin passing or the glory stuff. The real skill in good backline moving (in my view, at least) is in being at the right place at the right time. Knowing where the ball is going and the passer/receiver knowing where to give it/receive it. In my playing of both codes through the years (at no great level, mind), a game like Tag Rugby would be all about the spaces. Finding them and creating them.
    Tagging is a lot easier than tackling. Thats for sure :D When a player 'tags' an attacker, the attacker stops at that spot, the player drops the tag on the spot and the tagged player rolls the ball back for a team-mate to start the next play (of which you have six). This may take a little getting used to but not to worry. Enjoy it. Its not that steep a learning curve and you'll be well used to it after a game or two, I reckon.

3. A mini-game? Quite possibly there might be an open night or two before the season starts. If you're registered as an IRFU Tag player or captain, you'll receive an email notifying you of any such likes happening at your local venue (which is it, by the way?)

If it is IRFU Tag you're playing, email tag@irishrugby.ie and I'm sure you'll get some worthy help ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Well I'd say fitness would be a big part of Tag rugby.. obviously you dont want to be stuck doing sprints and suicide runs and all that when you are only playing for a bit of fun so I'd say you should combine the skills and fitness part of your training, even something ridiculously simple as forming a circle, first person passes and runs around the outside of the circle while the people in the circle pass the ball from one to another and the goal is to beat the player running around the circle, obviously all dropped balls/bad passes will equal push ups/sit ups for the culprit.
    It is very Under 12s but it is effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Hey Goblin - is it still possible to jump on a team? I played Tag with work for a few years when it started up but for the last couple of years we havent been able to get a team together.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Dilogoat

In answer to people wondering about the IRFU and their role this year, it's quite simple. Having viewed the new rules and read them through I feel that they have made some great changes for the better. The venues above mentioned have all got their own event managers and if you have any queries about it contact them and they'll help you out no problem.

The IRFU's new laws for their tag make it a much more rugby Union like game. The kick from ground is replaced with a drop off etc. The rules have been reworked and rejigged over and over to suit this. It'll definitely be a great league and I hope that the rest of you fine folk will come along and join the IRFU Tag league this summer.

EDIT: Complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

Dilogoat wrote:
    The IRFU's new laws for their tag make it a much more rugby Union like game.
    Dilogoat,
    Do you have a link to a full set of IRFU tag rules, I can only find the very basics on the irfutag.ie site.

I'm interested by what you say about making it a more Union like game because I always thought it was a quirk that under the ITRA umbrella the IRFU were promoting a game that it basically non-contact rugby league - I'm not criticising them for it but I do think that it's interesting if they are moving to make tag more like Union.

aoa321 wrote:
    Dilogoat,
    Do you have a link to a full set of IRFU tag rules, I can only find the very basics on the irfutag.ie site.

I'm interested by what you say about making it a more Union like game because I always thought it was a quirk that under the ITRA umbrella the IRFU were promoting a game that it basically non-contact rugby league - I'm not criticising them for it but I do think that it's interesting if they are moving to make tag more like Union.

An overview of the IRFU Tag Laws will be posted on www.irfutag.ie tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Basically the new addition and changes make it more Union based than League based. As I mentioned above, the kick off is now a drop kick. The roll ball, now called the "Rook Ball" (In keeping with Union terms) has changed so that the scrum half can run without passing, the marker must be a full meter back etc. You'll be able to read for yourself the similarities and changes on the site soon.

The usual no contact is still completely emphasised in the game with a few more definite rules about certain situations that have arisen over the past few years.

Diving is also allowed, but only if you are nowhere near a defending player. For example, if you are running for a try and the nearest defender is 10 meters behind you in no position to tag, then by all means dive on the ground, however, I can't see too many people diving with the way the weather is holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 summerwine

Hi there, I would really like to start tag rugby but I have no team. Is there any team out there that needs a player?

27 y/o
    male
    played rugby for 3 yrs
    I'm pretty athletic so intermediate level would be the preferred level but would play advanced.

cheers

alan

The best thing to do is head down to which ever club is nearest to you and see if any team needs a player. It often happens that players from a team can't turn up for whatever reason and need someone like yourself to sub in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 karlitos

Summerwine,

If you go to www.astro.ie you'll see they have a free-agents section. Input your details and if any teams are looking for players, they'll see your info.

Unlike the ITRA site - finding a player is free!!!

I know from last year - that they also run autumn leagues to cater for all those tag teams that want to carry on after the summer season.

Advertisement