Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag Rugby

Options
  • 11-02-2007 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Was looking to form a tag rugby team for the summer?

Interested? - post here!

Age.

Number of years playing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

What about giving us some of your own details first?

What type of leage are you hoping to enter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah, I'd be interested in playing.

It does depend on days/location/times etc, but if it suits, I'd be up for it.

I'm 26. I haven't played in the official tag rugby leagues, but I've played it with mates etc over the years..

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

If you're thinking of registering for the ITRA leagues, you'd need to do it quickly. A lot of the more popular venues are already full.
    The IRFU are also launching their own leagues this year separate from the ITRA. They haven't launched yet so you might be better off waiting for them. It looks like they'll have cheaper fees too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mikie

In answer lads:

I'm 32
    Haven't played in few years. Practiced with Blackrock seconds a few years ago for tiny bit but had to give up as I broke my finger.

League - that's up for discussion?

Cheers,

Mikie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

Hi, I'm interested.

28, played tag for 4 years, both A and B leagues in St.Mary's.

Preference is St.Mary's again as it's a good spot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

The official IRFU Tag Rugby season will be announced week after next.
    News will appear here: http://www.irfutag.ie.

From a reliable source ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Our office tag mentor has left to return to NZ this week, I fear we will not get off the ground.

Any one want little old me?....28, very fit, fast. Of the same blood as a Leinster 21 winger.......some of the genetics from my lil bro must have rubbed off in me too:D

Any grounds really suit from Snadyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

20 played rugby since the ripe old age of six, both at school and now in Clontarf, playing at J3 level.
    Scrum half, very fit not as fast as one would expect.

Northside or not to far south would suit me best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I treid to find northide game last year and failed ...are there any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

Suttonians RFC will be one of the Leinster IRFU Tag venues.

This should be handy for you. Next week, registration for teams in 2007 will go live at www.irfutag.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

Hi,

Anyone need a tag player for summer league in Mary's or Templeogue on a Thursday night?

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

Why the IRFU tag rugby? I thought ITRA was sort of under the IRFU umbrella. Will there be any tweaking of the rules? Will there be many locations?

... so many questions !!!

I wonder if this explains why in Waterford the ITRA tag rugby moved away from Waterpark for the first time in the last 5 years? Will Waterpark now host the IRFU flavour, maybe it's just a coincidence but this seems really messy to me, do any of you know anything about the politics behind it? I presume it's down to money, at about €550 a team one of my friends estimated that the ITRA tag was generating about €600,000 during it's summer run .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

aoa321 wrote:
    Why the IRFU tag rugby? I thought ITRA was sort of under the IRFU umbrella. Will there be any tweaking of the rules? Will there be many locations?

... so many questions !!!

I wonder if this explains why in Waterford the ITRA tag rugby moved away from Waterpark for the first time in the last 5 years? Will Waterpark now host the IRFU flavour, maybe it's just a coincidence but this seems really messy to me, do any of you know anything about the politics behind it? I presume it's down to money, at about €550 a team one of my friends estimated that the ITRA tag was generating about €600,000 during it's summer run .

The new IRFU Tag setup is a brand new independent Tag Rugby organisation. This will be the first year of an ever growing setup.

Waterpark is indeed one of the new IRFU Tag venues.
    Venues as follows for season 2007
    Connacht - Galway Corinthians RFC
    Leinster - Greystones RFC / Old Belvedere RFC / Suttonians RFC
    Munster - Garryowen FC / Musgrave Park (run by Sundays Well RFC & Dolphin RFC) / Waterpark RFC
    Ulster - Newforge Country Club

Registration will go live at the beginning of next week. Keep an eye on http://www.irfutag.ie. All you need to know about IRFU Tag Rugby will be there for you to peruse.

I shall post any announcements or other news in this section as they happen just to keep you all in with a heads up.

Cheers.
    Worrytahs

Worrytahs,

great info, thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ralphh

astro.ie is starting up a tag rugby league on the 14th of March and is looking for teams if you don't want to wait till May. It's great cause even if its raining, the astro pitch is perfect. This will be my 3rd season playing and it's a laugh.

Just so you know.

What's the cost to enter a team?

Are there mixed teams and if so how many women to be on the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 karlitos

The Rip Rugby season costs 600 euros for 10 games and 100 euros for the referees. (cheaper than Tag)

There are 3 standards - High, Medium and social.
    Games are played at Newpark - Blackrock or St. Andrews in Booterstown, depending on the division you choose.

There is also a free-agents section, where you can post your availability as a player or if you are a team and looking for players.

Each team consists of 6 players (3 men, 3 women). There is no limit to the size of a squad and no player registration required.

I have been involved in Rip Rugby from the start, the craic is great, there are loads of prizes - Rugby shirts for the winners, cups, medals and trophies for top-scorer.

Check out http://astro.ie

Amz wrote:
    What's the cost to enter a team?

Are there mixed teams and if so how many women to be on the team?

In which? The IRFU Tag programme?
    If so, yes there are mixed teams as well as the men's teams. The bulk of the makeup of the leagues will be mixed actually. A minimum of 3 women onfield at all time through the game.
    Costs vary from €450.00 to €495.00 per venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jazzy_jeff

So anyone set up a team for this yet? What are your teams names venues and nights?

I'm playing with a friend's company, no idea of name, but I reckon playing around Dublin 4 area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Playing the summer league this year, think in St. Marys in Templeogue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've managed to find myself signed up to play tag rugby this summer. Never having played rugby in my life I have a certain amount of trepidation, particularly considering my age.
    I made a promise to myself to get myself fit again this year, and that I'd join a team. I had soccer in mind, but the rugby gang nabbed me first.
    Does it get very physical out there? I know the tags are supposed to replace physical tackles, but are tackles made anyway/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

No tackles made at all....if there are you'll get a penalty either for against you.

IRFU Tag venues are filling up. There are still places available in various venues round the country so if you wish to register a team, go to www.irfutag.ie for more information.
    News articles and the Tag Webshop for the obligatory Tag Shorts (which Canterbury are manufacturing) will be launched in the next week or so.

Worrytahs wrote:
    go to www.irfutag.ie for more information.

I don't seem to be able to get much info there - I realise it's the IRFU's first year of rolling out it's version of tag but I think a bit more on-line information might be helpful. I wonder how many teams are registered in Waterford and whether it will be a big league or not? I cannot find out on-line, not much fun if just the Waterpark first team and one or two beginners sides are the only ones competing !!!

Have you any idea if there will be league tables and results available on the website, and when do the league games actually start?

ITRA seem to have made a few small rule changes that might make the league a bit more interesting this year, but I have to say I think charging a fiver to register on thier site as a player looking for a team is a bit miserly !!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

aoa321 wrote:
    ITRA seem to have made a few small rule changes that might make the league a bit more interesting this year, but I have to say I think charging a fiver to register on thier site as a player looking for a team is a bit miserly !!

The ITRA would sell their grannies if they thought they could make a few quid

The ITRA would sell their grannies if they thought they could make a few quid

That's why I hope the IRFU version takes off and is successful, but they need to be organised and put some proper effort into getting it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Junior

Anyone from Waterford interested in playing or where would I find some info on what teams are playing ... I can't really form a team on me own ..

aoa321 wrote:
    I don't seem to be able to get much info there - I realise it's the IRFU's first year of rolling out it's version of tag but I think a bit more on-line information might be helpful. I wonder how many teams are registered in Waterford and whether it will be a big league or not? I cannot find out on-line, not much fun if just the Waterpark first team and one or two beginners sides are the only ones competing !!!

Have you any idea if there will be league tables and results available on the website, and when do the league games actually start?

Yep, the site and the programme is brand new hence the delay in certain info going up. From next monday onwards, there will be regular news posted on the site.
    There is also an email address you can write to regarding any additional queries. It is tag@irishrugby.ie.
    League results, tables etc will be visible soon after that. More in the run-up to the season start (which is basically just around the corner) when each league is finalised registration-wise.
    A 'grading day' is also a distinct possibility at the season start to see the levels players are playing at matches the level they have entered into. So there is an effort to make sure everyone has a playing experience that they will enjoy.
    Waterpark already has teams in all the grades.

The website will also have a webshop for buying the Tag Shorts which will be made by Canterbury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jazzy_jeff

any dublin teams out there interested in a pre season warm up match?

Advertisement