Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a Car from UK

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sinbadfury

whippet wrote:
    Tax evasion is tax evasion regardless of the format, just like people who sponge off the system by not paying income tax etc, so I don't have to 'relax' and tolerate the likes of you who sponge off the majority of drivers who pay their share. If I am aware of someone evading tax I might at my discretion as a citizen of ireland report them.

I suggest that you apply for a job in the revenue, as I believe it is their responsibility to investigate such incidents, not yours 'as a citizen'.

it's begrudgery, plain and simple. Whether it be jealously of the car, the fact that they actually do something that you are not prepared to do or whatever, you reporting them doesn't improve or affect your life?

Do you buy goods off the internet from outside the state? I am assuming that you don't because if you did then the word 'hypocrite' comes to mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

sinbadfury wrote:
    I suggest that you apply for a job in the revenue, as I believe it is their responsibility to investigate such incidents, not yours 'as a citizen'.

QUOTE]

it is the implied duty of every citizen of every country to abide by the laws of the land. If you see a crime being committed would you report it? Or do you personally decide which laws you feel should be adhered to?

The OP is taking something from me, he is not paying Irish Motor tax.

This irish culture of 'its only wrong if you get caught' is for the birds and you might be happy with it, but I for sure am not.

Why should I have to pay VRT and others decide not to ? In the case of the Porsche is is more than a few quid that the revenue is at a loss to .. it is over €6K. This is the very same as someone on the average industrial not bothering to pay tax for a year.

For the record any time I have purchased items from outside the EU over the web I have been charged and have paid the customs charge via the delivery company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Gerry

rowanh wrote:
    Speak for yourself Gerry.. Im not happy to pay my taxes

Grand yeah, I presume you don't avail of anything that was paid for with taxpayers money? Its grand like, I don't mind paying your taxes for you.

sinbadfury - is it ok to just skip d'aul road tax then also?

I've had experience in this area also, have imported 3 cars. With one of them, had a long drawn out battle to get documentation from the seller and dmv. I was driving around, expecting to get the documentation "any day now", for a month.
    Doesn't do your nerves any good. Did get stopped by the guards a few times, luckily the first time I had a note from the vrt office, the second time, I had a reg but no tax disc, I had photocopies of the forms which I had sent off to tax the car.

Gerry wrote:
    sinbadfury - is it ok to just skip d'aul road tax then also?

No, I would not agree with avoiding paying road tax. Road tax and insurance should always be paid and I would not agree with people doing this. VRT is about purchasing the car and why should the govt get tax on a purchase that was not made in the state, especially seeing as we are all in the EU. As I stated before I personally would not try and skip VRT either. If I buy a car outside the state it is for discount and better spec level reasons.

The main point I am making is that if someone decides to try and avoid VRT, and take the consequences if caught then I do not judge them on it. It is their decision an I don't see that I have the right to report them. It is of no benefit to me.

Yes I would report a crime, unless it endangered my life or the lives of my family, but that is because I would not treat all breaches of the law as equal.

Laws will always be challenged and it is our right to challenge the way we are governed. You cannot say that you would act the same in regard to every law, as they are not equal, cannot be compared, vary in seriousness etc.

I guess I just have a problem with people who have all these high standards for 'society', but very rarely you'll find actually stick to those same standards/ideals or EVERY aspect of their own life.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Gerry

I wouldn't be mad about reporting them either, and I don't agree with VRT, it is a double tax. I don't have massively high standards for society, just don't feel that people should be above paying taxes. It just seems a little unfair to pay 800 euros of VRT and then see people skipping 7-8k of VRT.

• Advertisement

I can see where you are coming from alright. I dont think that people are above paying taxes either. It's just with the issue of VRT a working together in society could change things, instead of going around getting aggravated about what other people are doing.

Dodging VRT is very risky, time consuming and does incur additional cost and worry and if someone is willing to take all that on well then let them, but as another poster did mention, if they do get caught, there will be no sympathetic ears.

I tend to look at arguments without emotion and take things logically, 'real' cause and 'real' effect etc and I despise over-reaction and bitterness, and VRT is definitely one of group of situations that bring the worst of these traits out in people here in this country, but the anger is often misguided and unnecessary I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Jizzer

Dagon wrote:
    By the way, I'm insured in Ireland and I don't pay anything else for now (no UK tax, or MOT - they mean nothing here anyway). I also drive safely, which is much more important than paying these dumb taxes imo.

So you have it insured but not taxed or MOT'ed in the UK.

Do the Gardai not say anything to you with no tax at all?

Or do they just not bother cos it has a UK Reg?

What insurance company has insured you on UK plates?

Eventhough it has UK plates can you still change ownership here with the DOE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Hi to all

Here is some useful information about VRT do it right and legally and may be exempt.
    See Link http://www.drivinginfo.ie/importing-a-vehicle-into-ireland.php

Exemptions from paying Vehicle Registration Tax

There are different reliefs and exemptions from VRT. Even if you are not required to pay VRT, you must still register your vehicle when you come to Ireland (see Rules below). The following groups are exempt from paying VRT:
    • Certain disabled drivers
    • Visitors to Ireland who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who will be resident here temporarily
    • People who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who are moving permanently to Ireland
    • People posted to Ireland as part of the diplomatic corps
    NOTE: If you are moving to Ireland and are among those exempt from paying VRT you cannot sell your vehicle for more than 12 months after the vehicle is registered.
    If you are required to pay VRT, then you can sell your vehicle here in Ireland when you wish, once it has been registered. Further information is available from your local VRO.

I hope you don't mind me posting the link

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hi to all

Here is some useful information about VRT do it right and legally and may be exempt.
    See Link http://www.drivinginfo.ie/importing-a-vehicle-into-ireland.php

Exemptions from paying Vehicle Registration Tax

People who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who are moving permanently to Ireland

That site should also state that you must have lived abroad (there are conditions e.g. as a student doesn't count) for at least one year, and have to be able to produce varied documentation to prove this.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Jizzer wrote:
    Eventhough it has UK plates can you still change ownership here with the DOE?

Yes - dunno about "DOE", but basically you deal with UK DVLA by post (about paperwork), no difference.
    Dagon wrote:
    By the way, I'm insured in Ireland and I don't pay anything else for now (no UK tax, or MOT - they mean nothing here anyway). I also drive safely, which is much more important than paying these dumb taxes imo.

Pal, your UK insurance is worth sweet f*ck all without a valid MOT, and if you crash (here or in the UK), your car will be deemed not roadworthy. UK insurers treat UK MOTs differently than IE insurers with the IE NCT, as in: it actually matters and not having it is a standard get-out clause for the insurer :mad:

I have €10 here that says your cover is invalid in absence of valid MOT (even though you may have paid your premium and whatnot) - check you policy fine print :mad:

If you're 'going to do it, FFS do your homework and do it right. :mad:

As for availing of the VRT exemption, the onus of proof is not that heavy (we're not talking boxes/reams of paper), but your evidence has to be convincing (e.g. a bit more than ferry tickets and fuel receipts, which only prove trips to/from the UK, not residence as such).

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Ambro, read my post again mate. I have 100% Irish insurance, with an Irish insurance company, and it's 100% valid as the MOT is not up until May. I will also be VRT'd in the near future (before the MOT runs out) and all will be above board!

Why can't people relax in this place? :cool:

I'll say it again - Gardai are there to guard the peace primarily. If you drive safely and are honest and respectful with them, you won't have major problems regarding having a non taxed UK car *temporarily*. If they know you are a decent lad who will VRT + Tax when you get the chance, then you'll be alright. Now take 2 chill pills...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Dagon wrote:
    Ambro, read my post again mate. I have 100% Irish insurance, with an Irish insurance company, and it's 100% valid as the MOT is not up until May. I will also be VRT'd in the near future (before the MOT runs out) and all will be above board!

Where in your posts did you state before that your insurer for Ireland is Irish? 'I'm insured in Ireland' doesn't equate with 'my insurer is Irish' - it just as well equates with 'my insurer in English'.
    Why can't people relax in this place?

I'll relax all you want when you can demonstrate that *irrespective of taxation issues* you are fully accountable for anything that might happen, through your fault or someone else's. That means validly insured, because you just never, ever know (especially in Ireland :D). Then you can brag in here all you want about how long you can keep your car on yellows, and see if I care or even post (not in the least).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Law enforcement is a Garda task. Paying VRT (for right or for wrong) is the law.

Going to the UK this week to buy my motor.

I intend on paying the VRT but not straight away.:)

Will report back exactly how I get on.

Advertisement