Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US] Heroes - 1x14 - Distractions [*Spoilers*]

Options
  • 06-02-2007 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭

Just got sent the latest episode by my cousins.

From Tv.com
    Hiro deals with explaining his new heroic path in life to his ambitious sister and tycoon father. Niki has the chance to reunite with D.L and Micah. Claude's mentoring of Peter leads Peter to question those closest to him. Claire goes to a trailer park looking for her birth mother. Sylar wears a disguise and makes a move against HRG.

In usual heros style poses more questions than it answers, but had a few nice touches.
    watch out for the license plate on Hiros fathers car, very knowing and a nice touch

Also, is anyone else noticing that Eccelstons characters is a little too much like he played the Doctor, personally thats not a bad thing, i prefer Eccelstons doctor over tennants, but i keep half expecting cybermen or daleks to turn up.

This weeks episode was 42 votes

Amazing!
    0% 0 votes
    Great
    47% 20 votes
    Okay
    40% 17 votes
    Crap
    11% 5 votes
    I'd rather have Sylar eat my brain
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just finished watching it, liked the car bit alright...simple but nice :)

Its progressing very nicely I have to say, and as always it leaves lots of new questions for us...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Excellent stuff. Peter is able to control his powers (or is at least learning) and that cliffhanger at the end just makes me wish that next Tuesday would hurry up and get here already :)

The license plate is cool when you realize who is dad used play :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I get who that actor is, however that licence plate reference goes over my haed... someone wanna explain in spoiler tags?

I thought it was a great episode. Clare's dad - what a charachter. I still cant tell if he's good or bad... things are never that simple though eh. And all these super babys... wtf. Crazy. They should have two powers tbh. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Enjoyed it as ever. I wanna see Sylar go apesh*t in the next few episodes :)
    Jesjes wrote:
    I get who that actor is, however that licence plate reference goes over my haed... someone wanna explain in spoiler tags?
    For shame! You should be more nerdy :)

'NCC 1701' is the registration on George Takei's car. In Star Trek, where he played Sulu, 'NCC 1701' is the registration of the USS Enterprise...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

ixoy wrote:
    Enjoyed it as ever. I wanna see Sylar go apesh*t in the next few episodes :)

For shame! You should be more nerdy :)

'NCC 1701' is the registration on George Takei's car. In Star Trek, where he played Sulu, 'NCC 1701' is the registration of the USS Enterprise...

my sweet jesus.........:rolleyes:

Another fantastic episode, nice twist at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i didnt spot the reg which is a pity i wasent looking for it tho, anyway great episode and such a twist with who clares dad is what i don't get is how young was he when he slept with clares mother

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Great twist at the end. Had a feeling her dad was going to be one of the heroes introduced already. Was there something said in an earlier episode about Nathan cheating on his wife? Was that before or after her accident I wonder.

Not fully sure of how Sylar's powers are being "interupted". I thought that room he was in was dampening his powers. Then he smashed through the glass to Eden, who then killed herself. Why didn't he escape then? Next time we see him he's all drugged up again. I understand the Haitian suppresses his powers but he wasn't at the paper factory all the time (out and about with Bennet, meeting Claire etc) so what was keeping Sylar under control?

Didn't really like the whole father story that much with Hiro. There were some funny moments but it was all dealt with within the episode and Hiro is back where he was in the last episode. Maybe this is setting up something for future episodes but it just seemed like filler to me when I watched it.

One last thing. Loving Peter's training. The Invisible Man is a great character, very to the point. It's cool that he can remember the powers now. Should make for a great (hopefully) showdown between him and Sylar.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I really liked the painting of Peter slumped next to the taxi and half invisible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

I really liked the painting of Peter slumped next to the taxi and half invisible.

Yeah I thought that was excellent too. All the artwork in it is awesome though!

On the ep: I wonder why Isaac is trying to help Mr Bennett find Peter? Could it have been that Eden used her power of persuasion on him before she was killed or does he have his own motives ie. Simone? I thought I had Bennett sussed as a good guy but the way he said about an "old friend not being as dead as we thought he was" when he was referring to Claude made me think again. But is Bennett or Claude the bad guy - if either of them? So many questions...!

BTW, did anyone else think Nikki's psychiatrist looked a lot like Oprah? :D

Fwaggle wrote:
    BTW, did anyone else think Nikki's psychiatrist looked a lot like Oprah? :D
    Oh yes. That actress always plays very unappealing characters too... She was in Little Miss Sunshine as well as the bereavement officer. It was great to see her beaten to a pulp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've always thought of Bennett as the bad guy. Thought that was pretty obvious, though I suppose it isn't totally black-and-white. Remains to be seen what his motives are.

Top marks for this episode anyway. So much going on.

oh, and the Oprah character -- she also looks a bit like Siscos girlfriend from DS9. Is it the same actress? She's put on a few pounds if it is.
    //edit - nope, she's not. Here's the one from DS9 I was thinking of -> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425982/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

ah he must be a bad guy, think of the ratio of looking-into-the-distance-evilly moments per episode!
    i really enjoyed that one, i wonder how significant they'll make the identity of claire's dad? i'd say it'll just get mr bennett pretty darn riled up against him..
    so if peter knows he'll blow up new york in new york, why stay in new york? i know that would kinda stop the storyline, but he could at least try, and be brought back by something terribly urgent or something..
    peter well has the best power...

Goodshape wrote:
    oh, and the Oprah character -- she also looks a bit like Siscos girlfriend from DS9. Is it the same actress? She's put on a few pounds if it is.
    //edit - nope, she's not. Here's the one from DS9 I was thinking of -> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425982/
    This is her here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0628420/

If they ever make an Oprah biopic then she's a shoe in to play the lead.

doonothing wrote:
    peter well has the best power...
    It's certainly looking more appealing now than before, but I think I'll wait and see does it cause him to fly apart at the seams (literally) before I start wishing for it.

Loved the scenes between Eccelstons and Peter in this episode. Nice to see Peter's not just a useless whiney git after all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Two stunned seconds after the episode and all I could think was;
    EEEUUUUUUWWWWW!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Poor Claire, crushing on her uncle. I guess this is why they made Zach not be gay.;) Having to deal with to deal with superpowers, rapists, murder attempts and mind-erasing fathers is bad enough, but to have her two first crushes turn out to be gay and closely related is just cruel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Spectacular episode and I'm not just saying that for the cliff-hanger ending...

Nor being thrown off the roof, nor the half-invisilbe Peter in the painting.

Just wow. Right up there as one of the best yet.

However, a few things of note.

I think Clare's dad isnt evil. All of the misdirections to lead the audience to believe he is, is one of the main reasons why I believe he isnt.

Lets face it, he is a super top secret agent, working either for the government or for some super rich company.

They clearly have the ability to get to any of the super powered people, either to kill them or to wipe their memories and use them for whatever dastardly plan they wish. They didnt.

Wiping peoples memories, while borderline horrific, isnt all that bad considering the circumstances. Mrs. Clares dad (I suck at names :p) latest incident involved inviting a sociopath into her home while all the time he alluded at wanting to do nasty things to her daughter. The he used some kind of telekinetic power to de-phone her (teeheehee) and bash her against a wall. That has to be terrifying. But if you combine it with all of the other things, that she has probably witnessed I would imagine it would be enough to drive a non-super secret agent, crazy!

As for wiping his son's and zach's memories, thats clearly to protect his daughters secret. Wiping clare's memory, that is some mis-guided attempt to protect her from herself, to relieve her of the burden of watching her friend having her head cut open and knowing it was Clare's fault.

Catching Sylar and keeping him in a glass prison. Aside from the crappy staff he hires, who can fault Clare's dad for that?

Then there are a few minor things, such as being arrogant to Matt when he got away with it. Staring off camera for a few moments, while some sinister music plays.

So really, has someone wiped my memory or has he not done anything evil-esque or even evil like?

As for the episode, I think its all been said. That inivisible peter in the paintings was quite clever. Peter's newfound ability to control his powers is quite cool as was Claudes solution to Peter being overwhelmed. Indeed, Eccelstons did seem to be reproducing similar doctor who manerisms. But then that may be down to typecasting or the fact the guy may only have one act :p

The bomb that was Clare's real dad, was quite unexpected by me and quite entertaining.

One thing stands out as a negative though. Despite Nikki being proven "innocent" of killing DL's old crew, what about the guards she mangled, her multiple personality disorder that she displays combined with the superhuman physical strength. Oh yeah, and the half beaten body of the psychiatrist in the locked room with her?!

Shouldnt she at the very least, have been instatutionalised and at worst been sent to the home for the criminally insane? I mean, at the very least throw her in jail or something for grevious bodily harm.

Still, quality episode and a great show overall :D

And I definitely agree that the Hiro story was kind of boring tonight (not a spoiler as such, but it's sort of speculation with cheating)
    I imdb'd George Takai and he is listed for at least another 2 episodes. So I think there is more to this story than we are being led to believe. Perhaps he was testing Hiro's resolve. They did keep offering him things to get him to give up his quest.

Ivan wrote:
    So really, has someone wiped my memory or has he not done anything evil-esque or even evil like?
    He's kidnapped, or tried to kidnap, pretty much everyone on the show and implanted them with something 'mysterious'.

Hiro's sister was pretty hot though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ivan wrote:
    Lets face it, he is a super top secret agent, working either for the government or for some super rich company.

My guess is that he works for Linderman, or he is Linderman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Awesome episode. And awesome forum - first time I realised it was here.

Can someone remind me of Linderman's connection to Nicky? As far as I remember he hired her to sleep with Nathan so he could blackmail him with pictures. Was there anything else?

Also - didn't Peter say he was leaving New York to go to Nevada? I guess meeting Claude interrupted him. Nuclear guy is in the Nevada desert and I'm sure this will play a large part in the exploding man incident.

I was about to say that I thought the "Hiro's father" storyline was a distraction from their main storyline - but then I guess given the episode title that was the point. I just miss seeing Hiro's powers!

monomaniac wrote:
    Can someone remind me of Linderman's connection to Nicky? As far as I remember he hired her to sleep with Nathan so he could blackmail him with pictures. Was there anything else?
    The money that she stole was from Linderman. She also borrowed money off Linderman too, that's how Linderman was able to force her into doing sleeping with Nathan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nightfox

This show is getting better and better each episode.
    Can't wait for the next one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Peter and Sylar will have some kind of showdown now that Peter is realising he is capable of the same powers without needing to steal brains to get them!

Claire's father was rumoured in the offical thread at NBC and sure enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i loved this episode. Sylar should be getting more entertaining as the episodes roll on and a showdown with peter must be inevitable. wasnt too fussed about Claires father being revealed but please god someone kill Simone. what is her purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mossy Monk wrote:
    wasnt too fussed about Claires father being revealed but please god someone kill Simone. what is her purpose?

eye candy/possible surprise regarding powers. she will probably turn out to have powers, or fund claires dad or something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Nikki also confessed to killing lindermans men, which would meant he could find out that she was the one that stole the money. Which was also part of her confession.

This, combined with the incident in the elevator where she threw the henchman to the floor and threatened to stick her high heels through his brain might of set off some kind of alarm bells for a reknowned privateer ;)

As for Clare's dad. At this point in time it is speculative as to what he did or did not do when he captured both the radioactive man and Matt.

They had Sylar for quite a while and aside from sedating him they didnt actually do anything to him. Also, they could easily have wiped Eden's memories and made up false ones of her having amnesia and actually working for them. But he just convinced her instead. That to me says something.

I'm sorry guys, I'm still unconvinced of his evil nature. I want to see some skeletons in the closet or something.

Oh, another thing that occured to me about Clare and her mothers reunion.

Clare claimed she thought the reason she survived the fire was because of her healing abilities. However, we are lead to believe in episode 11, I think, that she only discovered that she had the powers after she was accepted as a Cheerleader.

However, this tends to lead us to believe otherwise.

This raises 2 important things. The first is that powers do not necessarily manifest during puberty or at a specific point in life as shows like X-men and other have trained us to believe.

The second is.. the father would probably have know since he found claire that she had this power, so all the sinister looks he gave when he saw her video of her jumping off the building was for what...?

Ivan wrote:
    Clare claimed she thought the reason she survived the fire was because of her healing abilities. However, we are lead to believe in episode 11, I think, that she only discovered that she had the powers after she was accepted as a Cheerleader.

However, this tends to lead us to believe otherwise.

This raises 2 important things. The first is that powers do not necessarily manifest during puberty or at a specific point in life as shows like X-men and other have trained us to believe.

The second is.. the father would probably have know since he found claire that she had this power, so all the sinister looks he gave when he saw her video of her jumping off the building was for what...?

1. It's possible Bennet had her mind wiped before so she forgot she had the powers. And his sinister looks when he saw the video was his upset at having to do it again.

2. The powers may have manifested themselves under extreme stress when she was a baby, but only became powerful enough to heal smaller injuries as she grew older.

3. Plenty of powered individuals, especially 2nd generation ones, developed their powers as children and even infants in the Marvel universe, such as Nathan Summers in X-Factor, Scotty Summers in Mutant X and Franklin Richards in the Fantastic Four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Goodshape wrote:
    He's kidnapped, or tried to kidnap, pretty much everyone on the show and implanted them with something 'mysterious'.
    It's a tracking device, it was mentiond in the comics

• Advertisement

Has Linderman's gender ever been stated with certainty?

Could the name Linderman be just to throw us off their real identity.

Could Simone be Linderman?

(Probably not...)

Advertisement