Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Leaked Album !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

SO disappointed with this album. Its not a bad album but it never reaches any of the many highs of Funerals. Just an average album.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i'd give this album a 7/10, and the title of best new album this year...i mean, what can top it? mm didn't, kings of leon didn't, radiohead MIGHT, and perhaps smashing pumpkins.
    either way, why is it released on a saturday? i thought it was friday that albums were released in ireland.

Best album of the year at 7/10??? Clueless. It's an ok album, 6/10 at best and the new kings of leon wipes the floor with it. It's nowhere in the same league as funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭pig on the wing

yes, and because of the times is not in the same league as aha shake heartbreak. still, i was more dissapointed with the k.o.l. album than neon bible.
    i'm getting MY neon bible tmoro !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

glad to see a few other agree with me! it's very forgettable, eny time i play window sill i cringe at the mtv/ww3 lyrics. i can't stand antichrist blues at all. ocean of noise is definitely good though. it's just not in the same league as funeral, neon bible is very average, very pedestrian and nothing new. i also think theyve runied one of their best tracks; no cars go. before i heard the new album i was gutted i missed out on olympia tix, now im actually glad i saved myself 50 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

eny time i play window sill i cringe at the mtv/ww3 lyrics.

I cringe when other bands try to do the whole woah-the-world-sucks-right-
    now-and-I'm-the-only-one-to-notice thing too, but actually think that Windowsill works really well. The lyrics are just subtle enough to avoid being preachy and the swell of music about 2/3 of the way in is awesome.
    i can't stand antichrist blues at all.

Wasn't crazy about it til I read the lyrics; then suddenly it kicked in and it became this excellent and really dark song about a so-called Christian dad trying to persuade himself that it's ok for him to put his kid up on stage to make money for him. Getting a bit bored of all the comparisons to Springsteen just because of the mention of 'working downtown on the minimum wage' though.

Interesting fact du jour: Apparently the song is meant to be about Joe Simpson (Jessica and Ashlee's dad) who was a preacher before he got into the business of sexing up his daughters for public consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭acidhappy

I love Neon Bible. I loved funeral. i didn't have any preconceieved expectations of this album and i haven't tried to compare it with funeral. If there wasn't funeral to compare it with i think some people would find it easier to access (cough electrichoney cough ;) ) I love the lyrics and themes that recurr throughout the album. I think they definitely embraced more mainstreme influences on this album and its hard to ignore the whole Bruce Springsteen vibe that everyone and their mother seems to have picked up on. The only tracks that are boring for me are Windowsill and probably No cars go (but no cars go has its moments). For me all the other tracks made an impression.

I think the problem for me (problem is possibly too strong a word) is that i didn't get the same feeling, i got from so many songs on funeral, from any of the songs here. It's just a bit of a let down, but if there was no funeral there would be even less fuss about this album. Artists are always going to be comparable to their best works until they equal or surpass them, so i think it's perfectly reasonable to have high expectations for this album. And also perfectly reasonable to be a little let down by it. But thats what i get for believing the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i really like a lot of the ep, so im not just a fan of funeral (there were evn a couple of tracks on funeral that i didnt think much of tbh!) im not looking for tunnels # 2 ;) i meant more that (like lordgoat said) none of the tracks have that same emotional whack/intensity/whatever it is that made funeral so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Last 4 songs are pure gems and the rest of the album is starting to grow on me the more I listen to it. I can only imagine how good some of the songs are going to sound live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ILikeHobgoblin

I would agree with Heebusgeebus that the first 3 songs are pretty poor
    Jesus the song "Neon bible" is just annoying
    I was preparing myself for bitter dissappointment but thankfully from the 4th song on its fantastic. Ive been listening to it for the last week and it gets better every time. I dont think its a as good as funeral but its still brilliant.
    Going to see them tomorrow night , cant wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

tracks 1, 5 and 11 are very average. not enuff classics on it. i give it 6/10. only about 2 songs on this would be good enuff to be on funeral.

Ok i've given this album a good listen and i saw AF on sat night in Brixton and it doesn't come close to funeral. The new songs are weak and instantly forgettable. The live versions make them midly more bearable but intervention was just annoying. I feel the first album has alot more of an edge to it, and the difference in the crowd between the two sets of songs was very big. Even taking into account it isn't as well known i don't think it will ever come close.

I also feel there's a **** load of people liking this album based on the fact that it's the arcade fire, while not actually listening to it with a balanced outlook.

Advertisement