Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTTERS in Ireland

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

canaridmr wrote: »
    hello I am naturalist from France
    and try to see otters
    I visit clew bay some years ago with a great succes
    what is the situation now
    and have you some news about moy river

Should still be plenty of Otters in those parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I get the occasional one or 2 passing through. I often go a year or more without seeing one.
    Don't think I saw one in garden in 2012, but sure saw one today, feasting on my stash of frogs!
    Check out my post in video thread

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Has that river begun to recover yet? Did they find the source of the fishkill?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I regularly walk a dog along the Owenass IN Mountmellick town centre and we regularly spot an otter fishing. Directly under the N80 bridge! The river is full of trout and is a very fast mountain river, coming off the Slieve Blooms.

But with the amount of trash that the local trash throw into the poor river, its a wonder that an urban otter hangs around. Situation not helped by populist councillors placing a kids' park on the site of the old library; with a lethal river (when in flood) running alongside it and gated onto it! Its also an amenity area. So it ends up being a drinking spot in a Gardai-less town at night.

The funniest part is, I'm walking a male Westie! An otter hunter :D Most of the time he's oblivious to the otter but sometimes he picks up the scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Had a glimpse of an Otter today in the ENCR Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Saw one in the Liffey this morning at Wood Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Adrianno28

I saw one about 20 years ago here in NW kildare, there was crows attacking it as it walked through bogland, but from what I can remember it was 3 or 4 times bigger than normal. When I saw them on tv I thought they looked smaller... this one was about 4-5 feet long and fairly big bodied too. I remember thinking it was bigger than me ( at the time). Weird or not?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tahahadid

2 otters spotted today in cork city the walk along mardyke park. Mother and pup both with white stripe on back.

Advertisement