Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTTERS in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

I've seen one at the weir in lucan while kayaking ..... also seen one walking across mud flats at bannow bay in wexford......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ruana

lucky enough to get a picture of this little beauty this morning!
    ReturntoSallysBridge-3.jpg
    That is simply an absolutely beautiful picture! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I saw one two weeks ago in the Dodder Valley Linear Park just above the weir behind Morton's Pub on the Firhouse Road. A stone's throw from the M50, lovely park, brilliant for off lead dog walking. It came up and had a look at me and dived before I could react, brilliant to see. Lots of Kingfishers at that same spot too. In fact, it's a great spot for birdwatching, Blackcaps, Goldfinches, Siskins, Herons, Grey Wagtails, Long Tailed Tits, Greenfinches, Great Tits and Blue Tits amongst the beauties I have seen lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Great picture , thanks a million for sharing that wit us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Tarzan007

Seen loads of Otters as a young fellow fishing, they must be common throughout Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Plenty of otters in north west Donegal, I have spent manys an evening watching otters feed in the mouth of the Crana river, the first few pools on the river are tidal and as the tide runs off leaving some fresh run white trout stranded in rock pools, the otters can be seen reaping the harvest.

I have also encountered them whilst duck hunting on the shores of lough swilly, and was fortunate enough to see one otter coming out of the water and searching for food amongst the shoreline while myself and my dog watched him from about five yards away, this happened on two successive nights and the otter seemed not a bit bothered by the dog which watched him intently but didnt break the sit command.

The rocks at the bottom of Dunree fort are another worthwhile spot for otter watchers to keep an eye out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Followed an otter along the Canal that runs up to NUIG in Galway a few days ago. He'd swim down for about 20sec and swim about 8m further... then come up and have a look around. I could see the bubbles when he was under so was waiting for him when he came up! Came back with the camera, found him again, but had forgot the memory card! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 IrlCasey

Great pic Rainbowsend - bravo to you and your willing model!!:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I was watching this fella swimming and diving for a good while this morning, I wish I had a better camera.At first I thought it was a female with a pup, but it turned out to be a large male with a fine tail on him.
    otter017.jpgotter024.jpgotter029.jpgotter032.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Got some pics of these guys down at Hook head Co wexford a couple of years back.
    Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Pretty sure I spotted an otter the other morning while driving to Dublin, where the M4 crosses the Liffey around Leixlip/Lucan.

There was certainly something moving across the surface of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

whyulittle wrote: »
    Pretty sure I spotted an otter the other morning while driving to Dublin, where the M4 crosses the Liffey around Leixlip/Lucan.

There was certainly something moving across the surface of the water.
    Could be a mink also.......

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cob1

Walking by the grand canal this evening my girlfriend Sadie's dog (Margarito) spotted something walking on the ice. It was an otter that stayed on the ice for a minute or two before diving back under the water. This was at Herbert Place well into the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

My OH and I watched an Otter swim around and fish for about 5 minutes on a lay-by along the Bandon River betwee bandon and Inishshannon on Sunday.

Was the first time to see one for both of us, was brilliant. Of course we hadnt our camera with us! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Could have sworn I saw two on the River Barrow near Monasterevin about a month ago. Was surprised at how big they were! They definitely seemed more Otter-like than Mink-like. I wish I had some pictures to add to the great ones here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Sadly, I stumbled across one as fresh Roadkill on the Mespil Road (Dublin 2), a few years back. Baggot Street end. Just knocked down, steam coming off of it. Amazing fur\pelt.

Under the Ha'Penny bridge as well, the animal was 'messing' with a Cormorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Family of them under fenit pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I've seen them a couple of times in Swords along the Ward river. Saw one walk along the bank one night and it was HUGE!!! Much bigger than I thought they could grow. I thought it was a badger at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Diggles

On Thursday at 4.15 in the afternoon I spotted an otter drinking from a pool of water in the gateway of the Civil Defense compound at the start of the north quays in Dublin City Center. I was driving by so could not stop to take a picture.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Saw this guy a little over a week ago on the Dodder in Dublin. Required a 4.30am start to get a look at him, but worth it! :D

8D9FE883A1344DD9A2C31883380759BE-0000342048-0002342491-00800L-51C24B2CC7A94B44AEB5FD599C735B1F.jpg

C7D4C64342894ECD897B3AF67390D2B0-0000342048-0002342490-00800L-4430EE1C157344488619FD17C9C3B016.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 merrywanderer

saw one in the river at Westport house last friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

What I hope was an otter crossed the road in front of me this morning at Oldbridge Wicklow. It appeared black rather than brown though. Its body was about the length of an adult cat and its tail approx the same length again. Quite low on the ground too, looked only about 6 inches tall.
    I thought otter but my wife says mink. Opinions very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I saw two in the river at St. Catherine's Park Leixlip/Lucan near enough to the sewage plant a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Eggle

There was an otter swimming in the Dodder at Lansdowne Road yesterday Weds 3rd August at 4.30 in the afternoon. He swam around catching small fish and eating them, despite several people on both the bridge and the Dart platform watching him, and even the train coming in didnt disturb him! Marvellous creature, he seemed totally unafraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I've seen one twice now off below Patricks bridge in Cork city in the last few weeks so worth keeping an eye out. Watched him yesterday for 5 mins before he went into a hole in the quay wall with a catch. He's not shy at all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kryten2x4p

Spotted an otter swimming in the Tolka River at the bottom of the Tolka Valley Park immediately adjacent to the Finglas Road (N2) where it crosses the river. First time I have seen an otter in the wild. Was between 1930 at 2000 hrs on Monday 29th of August 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cooley wildlife photography

can be seen feeding at the shore all along the Louth coastline but can be quite elusive

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Boomshakalak

Spotted one a month or so back on the River Foyle in Derry near the Foyle Bridge, great to see them making a comeback on the river over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

there are a lot in the river moy in mayo!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 canaridmr

hello I am naturalist from France
    and try to see otters
    I visit clew bay some years ago with a great succes
    what is the situation now
    and have you some news about moy river

Advertisement