Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dundalk to Galway via motorways - toll charges

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭maidhc

Stark wrote:
    Bypasses definitely shouldn't be tolled. They're there for the benefit of people living in the bypassed towns and villages, not just the motorists who use the road.

When they opened the Fermoy bypass they effectively diverted hundreds of trucks past the national school in Watergrasshill. They ensured that people not paying the toll would also be diverted through a village already bypassed using taxpayers money.

It shows that despite all the talk about road safety, speeding and RBT, the people who decide these matters have no scruples about weighing life against toll income.

There is now a roadblock stopping cars going up past the school, but the trucks (including those owned by An Post, who don't do tolls) still go through part of the village.

It really really sickens me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

endplate wrote:
    As for Mukki inflation is a terrible thing but your pay rises will cover it:p

it will be harder for me to get "employe of the month!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I dont mind paying tolls. I believe that once the development costs have been recoup then the tolls should be removed.

Realistic terms of tolls should be inforced by the department of transport ie the lenght of time toll bridge are to remain open, ie five years etc.

I agree with the points highlighted above.

Why do we pay;

Road Tax.
    *VRT.
    Excise on Petrol.

If we are going to be provide proper roads from private developers and then be charged by them as well, why pay for the above.

* Illegal taxation by our government IMO.

I will be buying my next car in the North and it will be registered to a Northern Address, feck this government.

Advertisement