Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GJP Festival of Poker II - May 25th

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭carrigeen

The-Rigger wrote:
    antes aren't needed, the structure is the best in Ireland, actually, just one of the best structures in general.

Totally agree the structure is excellent and I would also say for 1k vital for anyone planning to play bigger buy ins in the coming months.

But I still feel antes are an integral part of a deepstack tourny. The dynamic around the button changes on the introduction of antes and more so as the antes become more relevent. I would also argue it encourages action and obviously makes it more valuable to both attcak and defend the blinds.

I will still be playing as I agree it is a very good structure but I would still strongly recommend the introduction of antes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Bah, according to Holles St scan bay's due on the 26th May.:(

sure you've done you bit, what more does she want, blood....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Bah, according to Holles St scan bay's due on the 26th May.:(

The week before she is due give her a load of curry and sit her down to watch a mad emotional chick flick,this should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The-Rigger wrote:
    antes aren't needed, the structure is the best in Ireland, actually, just one of the best structures in general.

the structure is the same as any other major buy-in 1 hour clock game, (bar the Irish Open) top drawer. the starting stack is in a league of its own but i agree with what Pat said above and think the introduction of antes would be a plus for the tournament. either way its going to be a cracking game which i am looking forward to playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mdwexford wrote:
    the structure is the same as any other major buy-in 1 hour clock game, (bar the Irish Open) top drawer. the starting stack is in a league of its own but i agree with what Pat said above and think the introduction of antes would be a plus for the tournament. either way its going to be a cracking game which i am looking forward to playing.

I haven't done the research..but.. I think there are more levels in this than the IPC (plus no antes, larger starting stack), and from reading other posts, the Irish Open is missing other levels,

Also Mike, Tom and Luke were great, theyrepeated a level on day 2, and one on the final table (day 3), because time allowed it. I've never played at an event where the organisers running the event were willing to do this, all other places will stick exactly to the structure advertised as they want people in the cash games or out the door to save costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

pok3rplaya wrote:
    I just realised this is right in the middle of my exams. Boooo!!!
    Same for me, bang in the middle of my finals. Just about impossible for me to play.
    It's ****ing ridiculous using a pot limit structure for a No Limit event, but I can't complain, I haven't had to play a hand for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

quite possibly in the middle of mine too, meh, I'm here to gambool!

Actually it's on weekend after they are over so you wil be ok. I will have a demo on following week so not sure if I can work it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well, the structure is different than other deepstack events. However, it was an unbelievable experience playing deep into the tournament without antes.

I would like to politely remind the most vociferous supporters of Antes in this thread that none of them went deep in this tournament back in November. I'm not saying this to be smart - I simply mean that they did not experience the lengthy structure without Antes (obviously, all of you guys have extensive deepstack experience from other tourneys).

The argument for antes is that they encourage action; but a drawback is that they reduce the number of hands played per hour (and thus per level), and they put below average stacks Under greater pressure earlier. Anything that can be done to keep stacks comfortable and discourage people getting it all in pre - flop is a good thing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

cooker3 wrote:
    Actually it's on weekend after they are over so you wil be ok. I will have a demo on following week so not sure if I can work it.
    shows how attention I pay to college :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

LuckyLloyd wrote:

I would like to politely remind the most vociferous supporters of Antes in this thread that none of them went deep in this tournament back in November.
    How much deeper in the tournament would I have had to have gone for my opinion to matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Marq wrote:
    How much deeper in the tournament would I have had to have gone for my opinion to matter?
    as deep as lloyd obv. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Marq wrote:

Sorry Marq - didn't pick up that you were for the introduction of Antes.

EDIT: Ah, the Liam Barker quote. I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Lloyd, wanna buy 90% of in this tourny!? maybe?
    (no antes, antes are for americans and players who are better than lloyd!)

Important question to Mike.....

Will there be an oversized novelty cheque for the winner ??????

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

The-Rigger wrote:
    Important question to Mike.....

Will there be an oversized novelty cheque for the winner ??????

:D

No but I may get an A1 size wire transfer form.

Shortstack wrote:
    No but I may get an A1 size wire transfer form.

no dice :p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Mike/Tom (or anyone that knows the answer), What is the parking situation like in Drogheda near this new club? Is there a car park? Is there on street parking, and will there be 'ample' amounts at 3 pm or so on a Friday afternoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

5starpool wrote:
    Mike/Tom (or anyone that knows the answer), What is the parking situation like in Drogheda near this new club? Is there a car park? Is there on street parking, and will there be 'ample' amounts at 3 pm or so on a Friday afternoon?

There is street parking, €1.20 per hour. And a few Multi stories. No fees ater 7pm.

Advertisement