Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prime Time Tonight - Boy Racers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

i knew a few of them on the show, im from up round near dundalk.

and they were talking through their arses, saying they dont speed and the likes, its just for the show. I know one of them has had 3 car crashes, all with just him involved and all because of speeding.

Christ the accents are rough though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

kbannon wrote:
    @ bravestarr082 - its not up to Prime Time to make changes - they are just reporting the situation.

I dont recall saying they must pioneer the changes, The way they conveyed the message was the problem last night. Splicing Joyriding with Crusing, both are unwanted on the public roads but one of the two is more idiotic and dangerous.

You cant catagorise *ALL* Cruisers as Joyriders but last night they did exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

layke wrote:
    While agreeing with you on the joyrider bit...

I'm 25 with clean license and all that, please don't call me a boy-racer or try to class me as one. I'm neither a boy, nor a racer, yet I mod cars. Being labled under that catagory really gets on my man jubblies. I know you said from the little you know about boy racers, just clarifying.

To class a boy racer in my mind would be a young male 17-19 who drives like a lunatic.

Ok, I have just re-read my post. My appologies, Oldman go Slow ;) in you fancy car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

There are "boy racers" who are young, drive like lunatics... and have no imagination so all their cars have the same modifications.

Then there are "casual modders" who are into looking after the their car.

Then there are "serious modders" who spend big bucks on modifying their car.

The casual modders are going to have to realise that boy racers are going to mod their cars to more or less the same extent as them. So, outwardly, there is no difference between the two except for the way they drive.

So, life's tough!!! but you will be branded as a boy racer!!!

The only way out of it is to spend wadloads of cash in professional modding or to develop a serious interest in the cars themselves rather than just having them look nice and stick a K&N filter in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I thought the stats they pulled were a bit strange, they were only up until 2003 & the age group started at 15 (driver stats) is the minimum age not 16 to hold a licence? or did this stat include joyriders who were underage?? I think the percentage was 30% of all road deaths, did they include motorbike deaths in these stats or was it purely cars??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

does anyone know what was conor faughnan was saying on last nite's show regarding driver and ipods etc etc.
    cant really remember but do recall thinking this guy is a little chicken oriental with his opinions..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

It was something along the lines of every single boyracer (or male under 25) saw pulp fiction when they were 12, played grandtheft auto when they were 14 (or 16 cant remember), something about ipods & they never heard of Gay Byrne or the AA.
    What a tosser

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I played GTA when was 14. I got bored of it after 5 minutes but the effects of it have obviously lasted me a lifetime. Oh and iPods encourage music piracy which funds terrorism which funds the druglords who supply the boy racers with E which makes them love the daycinth toons which they pirate and play through iPods hooked up to their car radios.
    Keith C wrote:
    & they never heard of Gay Byrne

Well at least there's hope for them ;)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Keith C wrote:
    It was something along the lines of every single boyracer (or male under 25) saw pulp fiction when they were 12, played grandtheft auto when they were 14 (or 16 cant remember), something about ipods & they never heard of Gay Byrne or the AA.
    What a tosser

That fella was away with the fairys....

What does iPods and Pulp Fiction have to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

Keith C wrote:
    What a tosser

thats it. he should go back to reading the traffic report on the radio.

remember kids, the first step in failure in life is trying, like trying to give an opinion on boy-racers and,i wouldnt say blaming but associating, pulp fiction and ipods with that. most ppl from 7years of age has an ipod. why does he just say that the cause of all of this is because all boyracers breathe air and dont go to church.!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

kbannon wrote:
    There is supposed to be a zero tolerance policy on the roads anyhow!
    Its not the gardai's role to organise events. Its up to the event organisers to get permission from the gardai and whatever other bodies. The gardai may attend the event to ensure safety and other laws are adhered to. IIRC this requires payment.
    I agree. I was visualising many of those being discussed laughing at the tv.

Ive organised events before and had the gardai in attendance (by events i mean static meets where everyone has a natter,not a cruise) but its been a mixed reaction.

I was given the run around for a long time trying to find someone who was actually intrested in coming to have a chat with us.It annoyed me to hear the garda commisioner saying they (gardai) should engage with the youth ect on the issue when i first hand have seen how hard it is to get them to come onboard.

The problem being with meets in dublin is that regardless of where you go some muppet will drive by and see the cars,10 minutes later you have a gang there that noone knows and all it takes is 1 wheelspin and its turmoil.The gardai then come along and crack down on everyone thats there even though we werent involved with the muppets on the other end of the car park.

Ive contacted local Td's but was told that the councill wouldnt be able to provide anywhere even once a month for a meet so its like banging your head against a wall when theres a fairly big enough group of us trying to do the right thing but no representatives are willing to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Saw some modified cars driving around the local town last year when a car rally was on. They had removed the bonnet to display the engine underneath. The Gardai did not stop them. If they hit a pedestrian they could have knocked them into the engine and the fan belts etc... The bonet provides protection for pedestrians in the event of an accident, they don't hit the engine block as hard with their head.

Modified cars may not be driven recklessly but some of the modifications are dangerous, if not inconsiderate to others, exhaust pipe mods etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

dingding wrote:
    Saw some modified cars driving around the local town last year when a car rally was on. They had removed the bonnet to display the engine underneath. The Gardai did not stop them. If they hit a pedestrian they could have knocked them into the engine and the fan belts etc... The bonet provides protection for pedestrians in the event of an accident, they don't hit the engine block as hard with their head.

Modified cars may not be driven recklessly but some of the modifications are dangerous, if not inconsiderate to others, exhaust pipe mods etc....

What a daft post. All cars are dangerous even driven at 10mph.

A question for all the people horrified by fellas doing donuts and drifting in industrial estates. How many people are dying from this kind of behaviour every year? I dont condone this type of behaviour but at the same time there are bigger issues and more pressing issues out there.

What percentage of young people aged between 17-25 are dying on the roads every year (although the highest casualty bracket, less than a quarter I would imagine)? Now what percentage of them again are modified car owners( Well under a half again but I dont have evidence to back this up)? What about all the other people needlessly killing themselves on the roads every year? Why is all the media coverage on these "boy racers" when we have drink drivers at large, speedsters of every age and poor standards of driving by ALL generations not fit to grace a farmers field?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Lets face it, if you drive a sporty, modified car with a loud exhaust you are going to be called a boy racer by some people.

It is worring though when TV shows lump so called boy racers in with joyriders and and Idiots who break the law on public roads. The vast majority of the guys at those cruises just want to show off their car. I dont know anybody who would be happy to distroy his wheels drifting into a path like the guys on the clip. We will never stop joyriders and Idiots from driving cars.

BTW was it only me or did anyone think it was anything other than a piss poor show. Thats your tax money folks, I dont mind them making me look bad with it, but they should really try to do it better.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Splicing Joyriding with Crusing, both are unwanted on the public roads but one of the two is more idiotic and dangerous.

You cant catagorise *ALL* Cruisers as Joyriders but last night they did exactly that.
    Joyriding (to me) is driving a stolen car for the buzz. I don't recall any of that mentioned last night.
    Keith C wrote:
    I thought the stats they pulled were a bit strange, they were only up until 2003 & the age group started at 15 (driver stats) is the minimum age not 16 to hold a licence? or did this stat include joyriders who were underage?? I think the percentage was 30% of all road deaths, did they include motorbike deaths in these stats or was it purely cars??
    The stats were for driver deaths. Obviously a 15 year old was driving a car that crashed.
    Max_Damage wrote:
    That fella was away with the fairys....

What does iPods and Pulp Fiction have to do with anything?
    I think he was trying to emphasise to parents that their kids ideas of road safety are not quite the same as theirs. Gaybo's criticisms of dangerous driving has no effect over them. He is just an old man waffling on the telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exactly, Mr AA was emphisising the culture/generation gap, the fact that the average 18 year old is an amoral cyborg! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

kbannon wrote:
    . Gaybo's criticisms of dangerous driving has no effect over them. He is just an old man waffling on the telly.

Did anyone think a finger wagging by Gaybo was doing to do anything other than promote derision? Even my father considers him a bit of an eejit, to put it mildly.

What harm are these guys doing anyway:
    • If they like driving around in a Golf with a loud exhausts and suffer the indignity of being overtaken by a stream of Mondeos and Avensi, let them off.
    • If they kill each other in an industrial estate, then it is merely further proof of Darwinism.
    • If they are a danger on the road, we have laws already to deal with this. Just enforce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

JHMEG wrote:
    If you don't mind installing Real Player bloatware on your PC you can watch Prime Time in poor quality on RTE's website.

Just google real alternative, quick easy and bloat free playback, quality is not all that bad.

In fairness to the 'enthusiasts / genuine modders' I get your point but it is easy to see how must people see spending thousands upgrading your car = wanting to drive faster and show off. Modding is all about show and showing off and so is boy racing. I think there is signifcant crossover.

Many modders may be safe and respect the rules of the road but many do not. Their high visibilty make them an obvious target. (I'm not a modder or a boy racer by the way (although my mondeo does have a factory fitted spoiler ;))

Also: How funny is that Dundalk accent! lol. Prime Time always comes accross as such a parochial show, you can picture John and Mary at home learning all about the 'boy racers' saying things like 'Jesus thats shockin'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

[/QUOTE]Also: How funny is that Dundalk accent! lol. Prime Time always comes accross as such a parochial show, you can picture John and Mary at home learning all about the 'boy racers' saying things like 'Jesus thats shockin'[/QUOTE]

Sounds nothin like a Dundalk accent mate, those 2 at the start sounded like farmers from the wilds of Cavan..not you're usual scummer accent ya get round ere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

layke wrote:
    To class a boy racer in my mind would be a young male 17-19 who drives like a lunatic.

easy to spot in my area - 92/3 corolla/starlet/micra/fiesta (cars not even fit for throwing around a field) 2 alloys and 2 steel wheels on the car, cb ariel sticking out of the roof and a big sticker across the windscreen with "dohc 16v"; drivers genuinenly convinced their car will out maneuver anything on the road.
    There's even some gobsh*te driving around in a 96 vectra with "Ferrari" on the front and rear windscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

round here their daddys rich and so are they, 1 reason the cops aint interested, they take off every nite at the same time each trying to outnoise each other, none of the cars they drive are the same cars that passed the n.c.t, wheels engines etc changed,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

old boy wrote:
    round here their daddys rich and so are they, 1 reason the cops aint interested, they take off every nite at the same time each trying to outnoise each other, none of the cars they drive are the same cars that passed the n.c.t, wheels engines etc changed,

oh so its illegal to change wheels now:eek: as for the engines what are they going to do put it back in,in two years time for the next nct:D (hard work that is:cool: )Id also like to see a bigger engine going into a starlet fiesta or micra:rolleyes: (sure it can be done but there rich daddys arnt going to be able to fit an engine now are they:rolleyes: )
    Ok they might make noise but in all honesty there going to have the foot to the floor to even do 100km/h.
    God people talk some crap:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Wow! Haven't checked this thread since I posted a few days ago.

Well one thing's for sure: RTE achieved the desired effect!

Advertisement