Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LEARNER DRIVERS - Wear the plate?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

The reason I do it is I find drivers very intolerant of learners with their L plates up, doing dangerous overtaking manoeuvres, beeping at every little thing, etc. At least cutting them out they aren't so visible to the arseholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

kbannon wrote:
    Gardai may not mind them until they want/need to use it as an excuse. Otherwise its just more work for them!

Never in my life have I heard of someone being up in court for having L plates cut out, or for not displaying L plates at all for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Never in my life have I heard of someone being up in court for having L plates cut out, or for not displaying L plates at all for that matter.

Sorry but I have.

Where I'm from (Dungarvan) we had someone being prosecuted for that AND (believe it or not) being unaccompanied on a first provisional licence!

Although he wasn't much of a well-to-do, a 19 year old full time employee in Dunnes who drives around the town non stop. He was pulled at 4:46am one morning, and was brought to court by the same Garda and prosecuted for no full licence driver AND having his L plates altered.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If you go to take your test with a cutout "L sign" they have grounds to fail you there and then. It clearly states that "L plates must be displayed both back and front of the vehicle. This sign MUST consist of a Red L on a white background with at least a border of 2cm surrounding. It cannot contain any other markings"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

antodeco wrote:
    If you go to take your test with a cutout "L sign" they have grounds to fail you there and then. It clearly states that "L plates must be displayed both back and front of the vehicle. This sign MUST consist of a Red L on a white background with at least a border of 2cm surrounding. It cannot contain any other markings"

Most people who have cut L's aren't quite thick enough not to call into the shop, spend €2 on a new pair of plates and stick them up for the test..

It's true, what you said, but I THINK it's an easy one to get around.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 markirish22

i think its brilliant when learners drive by themselves and dont have L plates as when was in a car with a mate he smacked into the back of a car with a learner by himself even though was my mates fault the other guy had too pay out as was not legal on the road by himself and did not have the L plates up and if are stupid enough too be breaking the rules is there own fault that have too pay, if i ever crashed into someone thats the first thing would be asking too see there license and what one there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

When I was a learner driver I had the full plates up. Then I started work and it became a pain in the ass to change plates from one vehicle to another, so I stopped using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

was in a car with a mate he smacked into the back of a car with a learner by himself even though was my mates fault the other guy had too pay

Did your mate use scaring / bullying tactics to get the learner to cough up and not go through the insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

md99 wrote:
    Most people who have cut L's aren't quite thick enough not to call into the shop, spend €2 on a new pair of plates and stick them up for the test..

Most ;) I do know of people who've failed their tests for not having the proper plates.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You have no right to request another drivers licence- only a Garda can do that.
    If you are in an accident, regardless of to whom blame is attributal, all that you have the right to is contact details for the other driver and their insurance details (as per on their insurance disk- presuming they are insured). Feel free to call the Gardai, but only they have the right to request the licence of either driver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 markirish22

no both insurance companies and police dealt with each other too sort it out and my mate is a not an aggressive driver obeys speed limit etc as do i.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I regularly read about cases in my local District Court concerning provisional drivers not displaying L plates. It's usually in conjunction with other road traffic infringements.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

when i was learning i had full proper plates up.

once i passed i cut the red L out and stuck up the white bit to "mock" my mate who cuts out the L and sticks that up.

twas quite humourous i might add.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

lmfao Cremo thats a legend idea , would say you got some strange looks from other drivers as well :)

Advertisement