Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Tunnel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Thanks for that Ham'nd'egger. I didn't think of that.

PS - Where are you going with the "Victor"? I ain't no Victor. :D

Sorry about that..... Victoria :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

I went through it today. Interesting to see it after all of the fuss - didn't spot a single drip or puddle..:D

The rolling speed limit will take a bit to get used to.. I thought it had a 80 limit but it's set at 50kph at the moment. Kind of hard to stay at that speed on an empty 2 lane tunnel.

The Gardaí were catching those speeding coming out at the Port - I have to say I thought that was a bit much - when you go in to the tunnel at first you are trying to take everything in and if you miss the reduction on the 80kph on the approach, apparently the tunnel is lined with speed camera's..

Apart from that it does what it says on the tin. Pity I then had to pay another toll on the East Link to get to where I was really going to (Bray)..

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Its a means of getting from A to B. Not an means of entertainment. Driving on above ground motorways is'nt exactly exciting either.
    You're right. Bad idea about the dolly birds and the adverts - what was I thinking??:o Anyway, GRIFT and his mates will probably decorate the walls anyway.
    €12 is well spent if you are in a hurry for a ferry or a point depot concert
    Yeah. But is it good value for a sightseeing tour? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

I'm sure this has been aswered several times.. is the 747 bus using the tunnel yet? What about aircoach and others?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I'm sure this has been aswered several times.. is the 747 bus using the tunnel yet? What about aircoach and others?

Will it FIt:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Neither were the last time I used them in recent (post tunnel opening) times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What about aircoach and others?
    Somehow, I doubt it as it would make using the Drumcondra stop difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Whats with the €6 Sunday daytime charge - bit steep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the 747 is supposed to be an express City Centre to Airport service - it ought to use the tunnel.

I went through the tunnel last week - got from the IFSC to the airport in about 15 mins, and that was (more or less) sticking to the 50km/h limit. So well worth the €6 if you're in a rush to catch a plane.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Motorcycles should surely be free....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

spockety wrote:

You would think so but no, they are treated the same as cars.

http://www.dublinporttunnel.ie/tolls_and_permitted_vehicles/

The following may use the Tunnel toll-free:

* All commercial vehicles above 3.5 tonnes laden weight
    * Buses wih more than 25 seats
    * Vehicles driven by physically disabled drivers that have been specially adapted for physically disabled drivers

The tolls apply to cars, taxis, motorcycles and car vans/light commercial vehicles, less than 3.5 tonnes.

Northbound Toll Charges

Monday to Friday
    0600 — 1600 €6
    1600 — 1900 €12
    1900 — 2200 €6
    2200 — 0600 €3

Saturday, Sunday & Bank Holidays
    0600 — 2200 €6
    2200 — 0600 €3

Southbound Toll Charges

Monday to Friday
    0600 — 1000 €12
    1000 — 2200 €6
    2200 — 0600 €3

Saturday, Sunday & Bank Holidays

0600 — 2200 €6
    2200 — 0600 €3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

loyatemu wrote:
    the 747 is supposed to be an express City Centre to Airport service - it ought to use the tunnel.

The problem is that it's pick-up stop is on Upper O'Connell Street so it would have to get from there to the tunnel.

The 748 should and AFAIK does use the tunnel as it's last pick-up is in Busaras.

Some Bus Eireann services, in particular the Belfast/Derry/Letterkenny via Dublin Airport routes are also using it now at peak times as it is much quicker than getting out through Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,974 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

spockety wrote:
    Yes on every other toll road, NOT in the Port Tunnel.
    Encouraging bikes to go into a tunnel intended exclusively for HGVs really isn't a good idea, safety wise.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭markpb

ninja900 wrote:
    Yes on every other toll road, NOT in the Port Tunnel.
    Encouraging bikes to go into a tunnel intended exclusively for HGVs really isn't a good idea, safety wise.

Except it isn't (now) intended for HGVs only and, in fact, anyone can drive in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It is indended for HGVs. Cars are allowed use it, but the tolls for cars are high in order to deter them. HGVs use it for free.

markpb wrote:
    anyone can drive in it.
    Provided that they have a full driving licence for the category of vehicle they use. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Stark wrote:
    It is indended for HGVs. Cars are allowed use it, but the tolls for cars are high in order to deter them. HGVs use it for free.

I think the point is that if they do not want cars, just ban them and do away with the toll and the costly operation of the toll booth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

MICKEYG wrote:
    I think the point is that if they do not want cars, just ban them and do away with the toll and the costly operation of the toll booth.

Tax-payers money paid for it so it would be more than a scandal to have the public banned from it.

How costly is it to operate the toll booth? Do you have costings or are you just shooting into the breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Bluetonic wrote:
    Tax-payers money paid for it so it would be more than a scandal to have the public banned from it.

How costly is it to operate the toll booth? Do you have costings or are you just shooting into the breeze.

If tax payers money paid for it why are we being tolled? Tolls (which I strongly disagree with as they are extremely inefficient and inequitable) should only be put on roads built by private operators with private money.

As for the cost, I am sure the building were a few million and there are maybe 6 or 7 operators at any given time (anyone know). They have salaries. Might not be a lot but it could be used by the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MICKEYG wrote:
    If tax payers money paid for it why are we being tolled?
    To get the money back for the tax-payers from the users.
    Tolls (which I strongly disagree with as they are extremely inefficient and inequitable) should only be put on roads built by private operators with private money.
    So how do you discourage people from mis-using the tunnel then. While you could put an absolute ban on cars, it would probably be impractical and unenforceable.

• Advertisement

MICKEYG wrote:
    there are maybe 6 or 7 operators at any given time (anyone know). They have salaries
    Only two toll booth operators when I went through last - one for each direction.

Advertisement