Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Tunnel

Options
  • 24-01-2007 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭

Apologies if been asked before, but when is this opened to all road users? I thought it was supposed to be Jan 22. It's not that I want to use it all the time (who could afford that!), but I'd like to have a wee spin...

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭markpb

They said it would be restricted to HGVs for "about" a month until they could evaulate traffic flows. I'd imagine it'll be another while before its fully open.

Slightly off topic, it seems to close quite regularly and not always reported by the press. Both tunnels were closed as was the M1 northbound at about 11pm on Monday night. Other Sundays I've driven past and seen at least the southbound tunnel closed. Is it maintaince or are there just a lot of incidences?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

'twas also closed last night, southbound at least, when I drove past at about 10.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

It seems to close most nights and this is just for essential maintenance and not because of any incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yep, closed for checkups, maintenance, teething problem resolutions, safety training/updating etc. Normal procedure with any large project.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yes folks, can't remember link but they said around the opening date that it would be closed every night for about the first month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya id pay the price just once to see whats its like, i can't imagine anyone using it to beat traffic unless you have a fair bit of money handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

I want to set up a camera in the car and drive through it. That'll be 13 quid, for cars, is it??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I want to set up a camera in the car and drive through it. That'll be 13 quid, for cars, is it??

At the most expensive time, it can be €3 at off-peak times.

Northbound Toll Charges
    Monday to Friday 0600 — 1600 €6
    1600 — 1900 €12
    1900 — 2200 €6
    2200 — 0600 €3
    Saturday, Sunday
    & Bank Holidays 0600 — 2200 €6
    2200 — 0600 €3

Southbound Toll Charges
    Monday to Friday 0600 — 1000 €12
    1000 — 2200 €6
    2200 — 0600 €3
    Saturday, Sunday
    & Bank Holidays 0600 — 2200 €6
    2200 — 0600 €3

Thanks for posting that info. Guess I'd want to hit it either during the brightest time of day or perhaps exit from the south during sunset to get a good overall shot on the video camera.

I still think 3 EURO is too much for off peak cars. It's a bit cheeky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I still think 3 EURO is too much for off peak cars. It's a bit cheeky.
    Its meant for trucks, not cars.

Victor wrote:

Oh right. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Victor wrote:
    Why not ban cars so?

Cos they get 3 euro, silly!

Means that it can be used in an emergency for a fee. Good idea IMO. Keep cars out but allow them to use it if they have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

Port Tunnel opens to all traffic on Sunday 28th January.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Bit boring isn't it? Not worth €3 IMO. Whoever pays 12 euro must have more money than sense.

They could at least have put something on the walls - pictures of dolly birds perhaps. Or adverts which could subsidise the tolls.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Bit boring isn't it? Not worth €3 IMO. Whoever pays 12 euro must have more money than sense.

They could at least have put something on the walls - pictures of dolly birds perhaps. Or adverts which could subsidise the tolls.
    Boring?? It's for avoiding traffic jams, it's not entertainment!

The tolls aren't supposed to be subsidized... they're high so it's a congestion charge.

Edit. Info already posted.

Took a spin through this morning. It's much wider than it appears from the outside and it's also much bendier than I had anticipated making sightlines short. There was a 50kph speed limit also. Here are a few pics - apologies for poor quality.

(Girl in toll booth said I was the 2nd car through - southbound :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

To ask a stupid question - why is there bends in a tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

hmmm wrote:
    Presumably to take the course of least resistance, i.e. avoid very hard rock etc.??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

hmmm wrote:

The DPT is bored mainly through Limestone rock. The tunnel rises and falls , twists and turns to follow this rock.

Its a means of getting from A to B. Not an means of entertainment. Driving on above ground motorways is'nt exactly exciting either.

€12 is well spent if you are in a hurry for a ferry or a point depot concert

Took a spin through this morning. It's much wider than it appears from the outside and it's also much bendier than I had anticipated making sightlines short. There was a 50kph speed limit also. Here are a few pics - apologies for poor quality.

(Girl in toll booth said I was the 2nd car through - southbound :))

Hope that was a handsfree camera :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Presumably to take the course of least resistance, i.e. avoid very hard rock etc.??

Victor

Actually, tunnels are best set through harder rock formations as it stresses the tunnel walls far less than softer rock, water erosion is minimised (Hard rock tends to be less permeable and land creep is greater with soft rocks.

The tunnel will curve underground to go through harder rock, to help improve it's structural strength and to avoid faultlines in rock, underground rivers etc

Hamndegger wrote:
    Victor

Actually, tunnels are best set through harder rock formations as it stresses the tunnel walls far less than softer rock, water erosion is minimised (Hard rock tends to be less permeable and land creep is greater with soft rocks.

The tunnel will curve underground to go through harder rock, to help improve it's structural strength and to avoid faultlines in rock, underground rivers etc
    Thanks for that Ham'nd'egger. I didn't think of that.

PS - Where are you going with the "Victor"? I ain't no Victor. :D

Plus Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) are much more effective in hard rock and clog and stop in soft clay like stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,4613,en.html
    Dublin Port Tunnel Opens to All Traffic on Sunday 28th January 2007
    24th January, 2007

As of Sunday January 28, 2007 at 6 a.m., the Dublin Port Tunnel will be open for use by all cars, buses and motorcycles. Heavy Goods Vehicles HGVs) and coaches over 25 seats are toll free. Tolling charges will apply to all cars, motorcycles, car vans and light commercial vehicles of 3.5 tonnes and under.

Hugh Creegan, Head of Programme Management for the NRA said,

“The bedding-in period for HGVs has worked well and we are happy to be moving toward full opening.”

Approximately 6,000 HGVs a day are using the Dublin Port Tunnel to travel between Dublin Port and the National Roads Network.

Night time closures of the tunnel will continue for the next few weeks between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. This is to allow for the completion of final systems calibarations and testing.

The tolls apply to cars, taxis, motorcycles and car vans/light commercial vehicles of 3.5 tonnes and under.
    Northbound Toll Charges
    Monday to Friday 			0600 — 1600	€6 
    					1600 — 1900	€12
    					1900 — 2200	€6
    					2200 — 0600	€3
    Saturday, Sunday & Bank Holidays 	0600 — 2200	€6
    					2200 — 0600	€3

Southbound Toll Charges
    Monday to Friday 			0600 — 1000	€12
    					1000 — 2200 	€6
    					2200 — 0600 	€3
    Saturday, Sunday & Bank Holidays 	0600 — 2200 	€6
    					2200 — 0600	€3

Additional Information

* Approximately 6,000 HGVs over 17 tonnes are currently using the €751m tunnel per day.
    * This figure is expected to rise with the introduction of the Dublin City Council HGV Strategy banning large trucks from Dublin city streets which will be implemented on 19th February 2007. This means that all HGVs with 5 axles or more, exiting the Port, must use the Tunnel to access the national road network between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.. However, Dublin City Council will put in place an online permit system to facilitate HGVs who must make deliveries in the city between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
    * The Dublin Port Tunnel is being operated be Transroute Tunnel Operations Limited on behalf of the National Roads Authority.
    * Drivers using the Dublin Port Tunnel are advised to switch on dipped headlights and keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front. The maximum speed limit inside the Tunnel is 80 km/h. Further user information regarding safety, access, tolls, etc is available on www.dublinporttunnel.ie in Irish, English, French, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian and Chinese. Or contact Transroute at lo-call telephone number 1890-252435.

For further information please contact Sean O'Neill 01 6658744, 087 823 0600

Advertisement