Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Improving Fuel Economy on 2.2 Prelude VTI

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Very funny, 528i :)
    Locutus wrote:
    You and Ronoc (and now Biro also) are just as much in need of a lobotomy, and perhaps you are the two pennies missing from our special needs enquirer's shilling

No need for personal insults. First and final warning, next time you're banned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

And I find it very difficult to believe that 528i could achieve a 15mpg benefit using those methods! :eek: That's a massive increase in efficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

528i wrote:
    While unorthodoxed, the above advice remains technically correct for improving fuel economy
    Not this bit:
    528i wrote:
    and drain the engine oil level to its lowest point as excess oil creates an unnecessary resistance on crankshaft rotation and load on internals, the engine will rev more freely with an increase in output and decrease consumption by approx 7 MPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

unkel wrote:
    Very funny, 528i :)

No need for personal insults. First and final warning, next time you're banned

We have a fairly implausible question, an amusing but utterly implausible reply and several people who against all the odds take it seriously. I think my remarks tend towards fair comment in the circumstances rather than personal insult. Anyway, its the internet, we don't know each other so becoming exorcised about anonymous comments about anonymous people is a bit too self indulgent in my view.

So will you ban me for disagreeing with you?

Locutus wrote:
    Anyway, its the internet, we don't know each other so becoming exorcised about anonymous comments about anonymous people is a bit too self indulgent in my view.
    Exorcised? Are you sure you don't mean excited?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

If theres less oil to pump and circulate around the engine then you have less resistance and load on the engine, and if the oil level remains low you also have a weight saving, therefore a marginal improvement (every little counts ;) ) in fuel economy.

Justin, apologise to the man for that outburst :D

Locutus wrote:
    We have a fairly implausible question, an amusing but utterly implausible reply and several people who against all the odds take it seriously. I think my remarks tend towards fair comment in the circumstances rather than personal insult. Anyway, its the internet, we don't know each other so becoming exorcised about anonymous comments about anonymous people is a bit too self indulgent in my view.

So will you ban me for disagreeing with you?

You type like you have swallowed a dictionary.

Seriously.

528i wrote:
    If theres less oil to pump and circulate around the engine then you have less resistance and load on the engine,
    Provided there is enough oil to feed the oil pump, the oil level has no bearing on oil pressure or "resistance and load on the engine"
    528i wrote:
    and if the oil level remains low you also have a weight saving, therefore a marginal improvement (every little counts ;) ) in fuel economy.
    You could make similar savings by using the bathroom before each journey.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Thank you all for your input, negative as well as positive (excluding the insults).

I expected to get advice but not the amount of negativity displayed here. I can certainly understand why it might be challenging for some people to accept that I want to improve the mpg on a sports car but that's my personal issue and I wasn't asking for a response on the reasoning behind it. We all have our own baggage and don't need to start swinging it at each other.

There are a few things I will do to my car based on the comments here and there's some things I won't do. I'm not very comfortable doing things with the oil as you suggested 528i as I'm not very competent with the workings of cars. But thanks!

:)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

Thank you all for your input, negative as well as positive (excluding the insults).

I expected to get advice but not the amount of negativity displayed here. I can certainly understand why it might be challenging for some people to accept that I want to improve the mpg on a sports car but that's my personal issue and I wasn't asking for a response on the reasoning behind it. We all have our own baggage and don't need to start swinging it at each other.

There are a few things I will do to my car based on the comments here and there's some things I won't do. I'm not very comfortable doing things with the oil as you suggested 528i as I'm not very competent with the workings of cars. But thanks!

:)

Nick

I wouldn't be very comfortable with doing anything that Brendan suggests (ever) on the basis that he probably wants to see a plume of flame or something in the distance just out of badness, that or because he is priming you for an entry in www.darwinawards.com :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 eob

I must say that 528i's advice is spot on for any discerning motorist who wishes to save a few quid on his motoring budget. Impressive stuff, and the sort of thing car companies just don't want you to know.

MeatBox, as you drive a Honda, I presume performance is also of the upmost importance? If so, there are several ways you can improve performance and fuel consumption at the same time.

There are two major things to think about when it comes to fuel consumption, one is weight, the other is air-resistance.

First we'll talk about weight. To make your car as light as possible, remove anything from it you don't use on a daily basis. This would include keeping any spare change out of the ashtray, remove the cigarrette lighter, but for major savings, quickly move onto bigger things like bits of the dashboard that aren't in use. Have a look at the roof lining. Do you need it?

Another weighty item of note is the seats. As you are a Honda driver, I'm sure you're accustomed to looking around the interior of your car and seeing a lot of empty chairs, right? Then why not aim for maximum fuel saving and unbolt any unnecessary seats that aren't in use. You can always bolt them back in later, or, use them as rudimentary furniture in your council house. They will make an interesting talking point amongst your friends.

In the unlikely event you have a girlfriend, explain your excess fuel consumption dillemma, and suggest she loses as much weight as possible. If she's unwilling, or unable, to lay off the choclate and shed a few pounds, suggest items she may find essential are left at home, like giant hoopy earrings, fags, and stolen tracksuits. This will reduce the weight of your car and increase your performance.

Now, we've talked a lot about weight already, but what about air-resistance? This is something 528i forgot to mention as crucial to fuel consumption. Remove anything from the car that juts out, causing drag, and friction with the air, like, the radio aerial, wing mirrors, that sort of thing. Have a good walk around the car. Ask yourself, do I need half this stuff? And start unbolting the stuff you don't.

One simple fix is to employ a roll of sticky tape to effectively seal up any panel gaps, shutlines, etc, turning your car into a plastic bullet Honda always meant it to be.

Even things you wouldn't think could affect your fuel consumption, like big giant Spenzo-R stickers, Japanese graphics, 'Mission Aborted: Gone For A Spliff' written across the back window, etc, can add both weight and drag.

Combining many of the suggestions above could save you, easily, 10-20MPG in fuel consumption.

Happy Motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Enough already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement