Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Improving Fuel Economy on 2.2 Prelude VTI

Options
  • 23-01-2007 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Greetings!

I've just bought myself a 1998 2.2 Honda Prelude VTi, auto/tip. While I realise that this car is not geared towards getting good mpg I'd like to do a few things to it to improve it and I don't mind incurring a loss in power. Anything that will reduce harmful emissions and improve mpg I'd really like to hear about cause I don't have much of an idea about car mods.

Someone mentioned cold-air induction to me as a start.

Any thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated. I've about €1000 to spend over the next 3-4 weeks, might spend more after that.

Thanks!

:)

Nick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

surely you would only be able to make a few small % in the difference, which won't be worth it???

sounds mad to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

I've had a few cars like that before and I genuinely think your wasting your time, much better off to buy a diesel you could easily get double the fuel economy without too much of a loss of power, although if you like the high revving engine diesel isnt for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Ah well, thanks for the input though. At least I can dream.....

:)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Surely spending €1,000 or more on a modification to increase mpg by a marginal percentage doesn't make economic sense unless it is a diesel engine you are buying? I cannot believe that this modification can give you much of a saving to justify spending upwards of €1,000 for it.

If mpg is that much of a concern maybe the 2.0 litre Prelude would have been a better option!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Change the fuel filter for a start. Replace the spark plugs, and clean the pcv valve. After that if you are still getting below average mileage in comparison to other owners change the o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold.

• Advertisement

cpoh1 wrote:
    Change the fuel filter for a start. Replace the spark plugs, and clean the pcv valve. After that if you are still getting below average mileage in comparison to other owners change the o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold.
    Ah, great. I shall do all of those things (meaning I'll ask someone else to do it for me).

Thank you.

Here's something I was looking at too, it's a fuel additive. http://www.blueskycleanair.com/

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Spending €1000 to save maybe 1 or 2 mpg, thats a lot of money. You'd need a lot of miles (a good few thousand I'd assume) to eventually save that back!
    Do as cpoh1 says anyway, that'll leave it closer to the way it left the factory and will only cost a few bob.

meatproduct... if you do what cpoh1 says you will just be ensuring that you are getting the correct fuel consumption for the car, not improving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Out of interest, why did you buy that car if emmissions and mpg are more important to you than performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

like the looks but not the engine? get a new engine ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

If only it were that simple.

Just try to avoid high revs. Hondas are very good on fuel generally however not so good with a heavy foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Low rolling resistance tyres properly inflated will help and give you a few MPG straight away.
    Eiretyres have some Korean brands quite cheap that have good rolling resistance performance.
    Cold feeds and induction kits will not help much if at all.
    Go for a lighter oil at the next service and new plugs.

Learn how VTEC works and change gears early to avoid sending the engine in to performance mode.

Switch off electrics when not needed and group errands so that you keep your car warm when going from place to place.

Change your driving style and remove rubbish from the boot.

I've got a bit of a gas-guzzler but it doesn't break down and I've adjusted my driving style to help improve economy.
    I figure it is burning maybe 400euro more petrol a year than a more economical car but I can live with it as I like the car.

If the objective is to save money or save the planet then keep the car
    More CO2 will be released through manufacture of another new car than is released by keeping a perfectly good modern car on the road.
    My current car is a guzzler but it doesn't break down. My last one was lighter on fuel but was regularly being fixed.
    Current MPG for me is about 24-25MPG.

Mailman wrote:
    Low rolling resistance tyres properly inflated will help and give you a few MPG straight away.
    Eiretyres have some Korean brands quite cheap that have good rolling resistance performance.
    Cold feeds and induction kits will not help much if at all.
    Go for a lighter oil at the next service and new plugs.

Learn how VTEC works and change gears early to avoid sending the engine in to performance mode.

Switch off electrics when not needed and group errands so that you keep your car warm when going from place to place.

Change your driving style and remove rubbish from the boot.

I've got a bit of a gas-guzzler but it doesn't break down and I've adjusted my driving style to help improve economy.
    I figure it is burning maybe 400euro more petrol a year than a more economical car but I can live with it as I like the car.

More CO2 will be released through manufacture of another new car than is released by keeping a perfectly good modern car on the road.
    My current car is a guzzler but it doesn't break down. My last one was lighter on fuel but was regularly being fixed.

Good advice, especially about the tires, never thought about that. I do drive quite economically.

To answer a few questions, I bought the car cause I really like the look of it, hardly like the look of any cars at all. Of course I realise the mpg of the car is not great but someone else would be driving it around less consciously than me to I think that helps a the environment a little. The main point, as Mailman said, is that buying a new car has a crappie carbon footprint than a used car.

I've had occasion to drive my brothers honda, vtec, and it's very easy to avoid the vtec range.

It's a hope of mine to get an electric engine in there a few years down the road. Fingers crossed that it will be an option in a few years.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I've an accord 1.8 Vtec auto/tip, I find using the cruise control / tiptronic way more fuel efficient than using the auto box alone.

Good luck with keeping that up though, even in 1.8 form they're v-thirsty, but its addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Mailman wrote:

This is also the theory of my unlce in England who bought a 2.5l Toyota jeep in 1999. He bought it because he wanted a car with a long life in it. Thinks its cleaner than producing a new car every three years. The jeep still feels need as well.

@ OP, keeping the car well serviced and maintained, easy on the foot etc will keep economy, but you bought a performance car, which sadly its purpose is not to be economical.

somebody bought a performance car and wants to keep fuel consumption down and replace it with an electric engine??

this has to be a joke?

3ps wrote:
    somebody bought a performance car and wants to keep fuel consumption down and replace it with an electric engine??

this has to be a joke?
    To be fair, most coupés are bought for looks rather than performance. I would have thought that the Prelude would be the exception to this rule, but I guess different people can like different things about the same car. I have to admit, i've always thought that that model of Prelude was a very handsome car myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 V6 Alfa

this must be a wind up....

but if you are serious dude, you should save your grand, sell you car and but something more economical.

If you LOVE your car (dont know why you would love that particular model but anyway) and you wont sell it for years, and you REALLY want to save a few cents on fuel, and be nice to the wildlife around the phoenix park, then you should consider doing an LPG conversion (liquid petroleum gas)

read all about it here: http://www.lpg-vehicles.co.uk/index.htm

you're mad to spend a grand+ on stupid mods to try and get better mpg and save bunnies. Better of giving the money directly to http://www.wwf.org/ !

V6 Alfa wrote:
    If you LOVE your car (dont know why you would love that particular model but anyway) and you wont sell it for years, and you REALLY want to save a few cents on fuel, and be nice to the wildlife around the phoenix park, then you should consider doing an LPG conversion (liquid petroleum gas)
    CarGas isn't available here any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

Why don't you spend the spare €1000 (or perhaps more) on a lobotomy. Or else find a time in the fuel prices cycle where you can buy some futures on some barrels of crude at an advantageous price. Otherwise spend it on advice from an accountant on why spending €1000 on fuel saving improvements will take 10,000 years to recoup your €1000 investment. Or just give it to me and I will drink it. In all of the above cases you will be a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

I have taken the following measures to increase fuel economy on the uberpanzer,

Visit petrol stations more frequently to avoid the unnecessary burden of hauling an 80l tank of petrol around all week, this can help with emissions, performance and the environment resulting in better handling also. Gain = 3MPG

Remove air filters as these create a resistance on the flow of air and are not strictly necessary unless you live in dusty climates such as Dubai or Morocco, don't listen to garage owners as the mark up on air-filters is quite substantial, Gain = 5mpg and healthy meatier sounding engine.

Use a low viscosity engine oil (or thin out the existing oil with diesel) and drain the engine oil level to its lowest point as excess oil creates an unnecessary resistance on crankshaft rotation and load on internals, the engine will rev more freely with an increase in output and decrease consumption by approx 7 MPG.

Total Savings = 15MPG!! or €451.79 per annum (ie. not to be sniffed at) bear in mind that Japanese reliability & build quality may be up to BMW standards, but you can always delve into that €1,000 reserve for a Nissan patrol diesel engine conversion if things go kaput.

528i wrote:
    I have taken the following measures to increase fuel economy on the uberpanzer,

Visit petrol stations more frequently to avoid the unnecessary burden of hauling an 80l tank of petrol around all week, this can help with emissions, performance and the environment resulting in better handling also. Gain = 3MPG

Remove air filters as these create a resistance on the flow of air and are not strictly necessary unless you live in dusty climates such as Dubai or Morocco, don't listen to garage owners as the mark up on air-filters is quite substantial, Gain = 5mpg and healthy meatier sounding engine.

Use a low viscosity engine oil (or thin out the existing oil with diesel) and drain the engine oil level to its lowest point as excess oil creates an unnecessary resistance on crankshaft rotation and load on internals, the engine will rev more freely with an increase in output and decrease consumption by approx 7 MPG.

Total Savings = 15MPG!! or €451.79 per annum (ie. not to be sniffed at) bear in mind that Japanese reliability & build quality may be up to BMW standards, but you can always delve into that €1,000 reserve for a Nissan patrol diesel engine conversion if things go kaput.

Do you want him to blow up his engine?

I'm using thin fully synth oil but wouldn't risk any of the other things you suggest.
    deliberately running engine low on oil when you are using thin oil which slips past piston rings is a dangerous hobby.

Removing air filter will only help air flow at high revs and if he is looking to save fuel he won't be reving the car high.

cost/benefit of running on half tank of petrol and more frequent petrol stops doesn't save money for most. Better to visit cheapest station in area less frequently.
    Make sure you have a proper petrol cap on your car to eliminate evaporation.

528i wrote:

That is terrible advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Dilute your engine oil with diesel and run it at the min point? Remove the air filter? There's a 528 that I don't want to buy!!
    Wouldn't more ariflow in the engine at higher revs increase the fuel consumption? Granted the air filters restrict airflow, but a certain type of performance airfilter (or induction kit) would do that while still protecting the engine from foreign particles going into the cylinders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

Mailman wrote:
    Do you want him to blow up his engine?

I'm using thin fully synth oil but wouldn't risk any of the other things you suggest.
    deliberately running engine low on oil when you are using thin oil which slips past piston rings is a dangerous hobby.

Removing air filter will only help air flow at high revs and if he is looking to save fuel he won't be reving the car high.

cost/benefit of running on half tank of petrol and more frequent petrol stops doesn't save money for most. Better to visit cheapest station in area less frequently.
    Make sure you have a proper petrol cap on your car to eliminate evaporation.

You and Ronoc (and now Biro also) are just as much in need of a lobotomy, and perhaps you are the two pennies missing from our special needs enquirer's shilling, if you can't recognise that 528i is procuring the urine.

This is indeed a talented forum. Must ask for advice on how I can use wind power to help propel my Ferrari while idling the engine. Are you all lumpenproletariat or is it just these three wonderful specimens? Bet your day job is running around in a little wheel in a glass box.

One would have to assume that 528i's advice is a wind up, no?

I assumed that 528 is pulling the proverbial but you have to remember he is answering a ridiculous question and there is a chance the OP might follow advice as no smilies were included in 528's response.

Locutus you are very rude!

Locutus wrote:
    You and Ronoc (and now Biro also) are just as much in need of a lobotomy, and perhaps you are the two pennies missing from our special needs enquirer's shilling, if you can't recognise that 528i is procuring the urine.

Ive had a full frontal labotomy you insensitive clod. :mad:

Locutus wrote:

This is indeed a talented forum. Must ask for advice on how I can use wind power to help propel my Ferrari while idling the engine. Are you all lumpenproletariat or is it just these three wonderful specimens? Bet your day job is running around in a little wheel in a glass box.
    Bad day in the office? ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

While unorthodoxed, the above advice remains technically correct for improving fuel economy, and it was stated for the original posters benefit that reliability (particularly with cheap and nasty economy marques) may be affected.

However, big end bearings and conrods are remarkable resilient these days with seized engines being a rare occurrence (ok peugeots are notorious irregardless of the oil mixture) but possibly our biggest hurdle may be the air-filter (yes, more air improves economy Biro), or more specifically the MAF meters becoming dirty with dust and grime over time, nothing a good powerhose wouldn't sort out and Aldi have some 1800Psi Karcher models coming out next week at €89.

Obviously any dust or debris, particularly small stones and hard shelled insects (or maybe even rodents and nesting birds) should not enter the combustion chamber so installing some net or nylon stocking (with a 'do not enter' warning sign) in place of the filter would be advisable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement