Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 Dual Carriageway to Athlone opening dates?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Drove the new stretch to Kilbeggan today and i have to say I'm impressed. Major stretch of road. Dear god it's a boring drive though.:o
    I'd probably have a different opinion if I was trying to get somewhere asap.
    Came back on the old N6 and it was a pleasure and only a handful of cars. The 80k speed limit is a pain.:(

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Major stretch of road. Dear god it's a boring drive though.:o

Done the journey a few times now, I just don't feel the distance anymore - the section between Kilbeggan & Athlone used to feel like it took forever to drive. So much to watch out for, side roads pedestrian crossings etc.... now nothing at all to distract you from the straight line at all!

I wonder how long before we hear about a crash caused by a driver falling asleep at the wheel!

Is this now the longest non-stop dual carriageway/motorway (M4 toll booths - west Athlone) in the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Is this now the longest non-stop dual carriageway/motorway (M4 toll booths - west Athlone) in the country?

I think you might be right - let's take a look at some approximate distances...

Athlone By-pass: 8km
    Athlone to Kinnegead: 58km
    M4 to Toll Booths: 24km (45km to Lucan)

Athlone to Toll Booths: 90km (111km to Lucan)
    Athlone to Toll Booths: 56 miles (69 miles to Lucan)

The M1 was the longest (including M50 Port Tunnel) outright at approximately 55 miles, but the NorthLink toll plaza is situated roughly midway. That would probably render the M7 plus Naas Road as the previous longest non-stop dual carriageway/motorway in the country. It is approximately 72km (45 miles) from Newlands Cross to West of Portlaoise!

Wonder I anyone else has anything to add?

In any case, I hope the above is helpful!

Regards!

Has anyone else noticed a significant improvement in fuel consumption since the new road opened?

I used to find that after filling uo and doing two round trips (via Moate) the fuel needle was just above empty, now it only drops to just below 1/4 full.

Just goes to show how smooth driving on a good road improves consumption, faster AND better fuel consumption :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Has anyone else noticed a significant improvement in fuel consumption since the new road opened?

I used to find that after filling uo and doing two round trips (via Moate) the fuel needle was just above empty, now it only drops to just below 1/4 full.

Just goes to show how smooth driving on a good road improves consumption, faster AND better fuel consumption :)

It stands to reason - less stopping and starting, less braking, less turning, less gearing.. less beeping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Yesterday evening I drove from Mervue in Galway city to Naas in 2 hours 20 mins, obeying the speed limits. Considering my detour to Naas at Kilcock, I'd put the journey time to Kilmainham around the same figure. Once the last 2 stretches between Galway and Athlone open, it could be closer to 2 hours. That makes Ireland a really small country. The railways are bunched in 2 years time.

A non-stop bus service from Dublin-Galway along the finished motorway at less than half the price of the train is going to have a serious impact on Irish Rail unless they start running faster trains and reduce their fares even further.

AFAIK, their fastest train engines are capable of approx. 200 km/h at top speed but the tracks and signalling aren't up to scratch so the trains can't run this fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grekko

Moanin wrote: »
    +1

No delays in Ballinasloe straight through. I thought it would be very heavy with the Galway Races starting today.Great stretch of road!
    I'm due to visit Aughrim on the 13th of August, does the new N6 reach that far yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

AFAIK, their fastest train engines are capable of approx. 200 km/h at top speed but the tracks and signalling aren't up to scratch so the trains can't run this fast.
    Nowhere near 200. 160 is the max speed of any irish locomotive or multiple unit. Planning for the future, not.

And as you point out, the tracks and signalling don't even allow 160 running for much of the (roundabout) way to Galway. The motorway is almost a straight line compared to the railway and the railways are indeed dead ducks on intercity routes as the motorways open up.

People will take express buses from the southern and western regional cities. The almost continuous buslanes will allow the buses to roll steadily along the arterial routes right into the city centre whereas the train will roll as far as Heuston and then you'll still have to take a bus or tram anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Low fares are available on trains. You also have toilets and catering on board and you can do some work at the table if you want. Things that are less practical on coaches and cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Don't say that too loudly, after all the Greens claim we'd do a lot more for the environment if we didn't bother building these Motorways with the 120 km/h speed limit(OK I know it's 100 until September 24, which I note is in 45 days time at this stage).

You might be bursting a couple of green bubbles there if you keep up your antics:D:rolleyes:(and it would be no harm if we did, between that and promoting filthy dirty diesel engines for cars thanks to the new VRT rules, one wonders just how much they know about the environment)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Green's policy is for bypasses, but not motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

grekko wrote: »
    I'm due to visit Aughrim on the 13th of August, does the new N6 reach that far yet?

No only goes as far as Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

murphaph wrote: »
    Nowhere near 200. 160 is the max speed of any irish locomotive or multiple unit. Planning for the future, not.

And as you point out, the tracks and signalling don't even allow 160 running for much of the (roundabout) way to Galway. The motorway is almost a straight line compared to the railway and the railways are indeed dead ducks on intercity routes as the motorways open up.

People will take express buses from the southern and western regional cities. The almost continuous buslanes will allow the buses to roll steadily along the arterial routes right into the city centre whereas the train will roll as far as Heuston and then you'll still have to take a bus or tram anyway.

At least the Dublin interconnector will mean that trains should terminate at St. Stephen's Green (presumably a future Dublin Central station).

A bit of googling shows that trains on the Cork - Dublin line were built by CAF in Spain especially for that line. They're called CDE (Cork-Dublin Express) trains and are capable of 200km/h.

It would be great to see the main intercity train lines and locomotives improved to allow 200km/h train services.

Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford and Belfast to Dublin (and maybe a Cork-Dublin-Belfast service eventually) trains at 200km/h would nicely complement the new motorway network and give Ireland one of the best inter-urban transport networks in the world.

Who knows? Maybe it'll even happen one day - we never thought we'd see a motorway network being built!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Victor wrote: »
    The Green's policy is for bypasses, but not motorways.
    Maybe it is now that they're licking FF's you know what, but certainly before the last election they made it abundantly clear on numerous occasions that the only thing they wanted bypassed was the money being spent on roads and it all to be spent on public transport instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bazzer06

At least the Dublin interconnector will mean that trains should terminate at St. Stephen's Green (presumably a future Dublin Central station).

IIRC this won't be possible, as the interconnector will be suitable for electrically powered trains only. It would be great though if they could fit the IC services in there, but if anything i think terminating IC trains at SSG would take up too many DART slots. Plus I don't believe the platform arrangement in SSG would be suitable for use as a terminating station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grekko

Moanin wrote: »
    No only goes as far as Athlone
    Thanks for that info , at least it saves a bit on the old fuel:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

bazzer06 wrote: »
    IIRC this won't be possible, as the interconnector will be suitable for electrically powered trains only. It would be great though if they could fit the IC services in there, but if anything i think terminating IC trains at SSG would take up too many DART slots. Plus I don't believe the platform arrangement in SSG would be suitable for use as a terminating station

If it all goes to plan, you'll just be able to hop off the Cork train at Heuston, wander down to the Dart and be in SSG 5 minutes later. No big deal.

It would be great though if this couple of extra stops was included in your IC ticket price, ie pay to any station in central Dublin. Fat chance eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

D.L.R. wrote: »
    It would be great though if this couple of extra stops was included in your IC ticket price, ie pay to any station in central Dublin. Fat chance eh.
    Well you can already get your Luas ticket included onto your IC ticket so I don't see why not.

Advertisement