Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 Dual Carriageway to Athlone opening dates?

Options
  • 22-01-2007 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Does anyone know the real expected completion dates for Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the scheme to Athlone....?

I know Phase 1(which partially opened before Christmas to just short of Tyrellspass) is down for a Q4 2007 completion and Phase 2 as far as Athlone is officially down for Q4 2008.

I was wondering if anyone knew when they might realistically open, as these dates usually build in delay times....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

They seem to be making great progress as seen from the Athlone bypass. There must be financial incentives for Ascom to do it before the deadline. Would be great to see it co-incide with the new town centre development, but that's a push!

Best guess would be Q4 2007, at the earliest! they haven't even started the bridges yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Last I heard was the Kilbeggan stretch by summer and a possible opening to Athlone by Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AM

The bridge work at Farnagh is reported on aaroadwatch.ie to be finished by October 07, although they claimed August 07 last month.

If the other interchanges can be completed by then, I suppose it might be possible to complete the road by the end of the year. After recently moving to Moate, I'd gladly welcome the new DC.

Realistically, I'd guess this time next year before it's completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

The remainder of phase one (to Kilbeggan) is scheduled for opening in May of this year, though may be slightly ahead. Phase 2, from Kilbeggan to Athlone is programmed for completion in late July 2008, though there is an expectation of a slight delay with this section.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

It seems Improv's info is right on the mark. The local press is touting its opening for end of next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

drove by the moate/athlone bit today, looks ready to open all signs up, finishing touches been done, maybe it'll lie ready to open like the carlow one for ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 de breeze

I was told by NRA the plan is to have it open in time for for Galway races. Seriously.

27th July it then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Good idea actually, those races generate an absurd amount of traffic. I've seen 5 mile jamups on the N18 (and not caused by town bottlenecks either) during race week.

• Advertisement

Good long thread in infrasture on guessing the opening day http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055146978

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

de breeze wrote: »
    I was told by NRA the plan is to have it open in time for for Galway races. Seriously.

like the naas lane carriageway for the ryder cup so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Athlone - Kilbeggan Opening Tomorrow 16th at lunchtime

Bye Bye Moate :D !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Athlone - Kilbeggan Opening Tomorrow 16th at lunchtime

Bye Bye Moate :D !!!!

I see a few adverts in the Irish Times today, for hotels etc in the Athlone area mention that they get 45 minutes closer to Dublin after tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

This is absurd. Even if you did an average of 100KMPH to Dublin (allowing for the stop at the toll in an otherwise 120KMPH journey), youd still only be around Lucan area in the space of an hour.

I think that, at a stretch, it might save 20 minutes on a Friday. Still better to have those 20 minutes doing fun things than being in Moate :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This is absurd. Even if you did an average of 100KMPH to Dublin (allowing for the stop at the toll in an otherwise 120KMPH journey), youd still only be around Lucan area in the space of an hour.

I think that, at a stretch, it might save 20 minutes on a Friday. Still better to have those 20 minutes doing fun things than being in Moate :pac:

Well, the AA site and RTÉ both mention the 45 minutes of time saved ("at peak times")...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Anyone can say anything without it necessarily being true.

Does anyone who does the Athlone to Kilbeggan journey actually think it could conceivably save that much time? Coupled in with the existing bypasses from Kilbeggan to Kilcock, yes. But not on its own.

The writer of that AA section is an idiot, im sorry to say

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I'm a jammy beggar, all the same.

Put the daughter on the Galway train this morning, for her 3-week stint in Irish college, and I'll be travelling down to visit in 10 days time.

So I'm very pleased with the timely opening of this stretch of road.

Thanks be to God!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Anyone can say anything without it necessarily being true.

Does anyone who does the Athlone to Kilbeggan journey actually think it could conceivably save that much time? Coupled in with the existing bypasses from Kilbeggan to Kilcock, yes. But not on its own.

I don't travel this road often but the last few occasions that I did, it has taken me about 15-20 minutes just to get through Moate; this would be not the peak 4-6PM or Friday crunch times that I would travel. It also cuts out Kilbeggan and some of the crawling towards the Athlone by pass roundabout which are both snarls at the best of times so I'd well believe the 45 minute cull in journey times stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Bit early to get excited about saving time on the Dublin to Galway run.
    Ballinasloe wil soon replace Moate as the bottleneck I'm sorry to say.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

kaizersoze wrote: »

Makes no difference to me, I'll be turning off for Tuam at Athlone ;). Or at least I will be until the M17 is completed sometime around 2036. You're right though, Ballinasloe is going to be the only major bottleneck on the Dublin Galway road from now on so expect mile long tailbacks there almost all the time until the rest of this route is complete.

Anyone using the new road today let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

It sounds like a press release from the NRA (although it's not on their website). (EDIT: It is on their website now). Remember, Kinnegad-Athlone was originally considered as one scheme with two phases and I think this is what it's referring to. Even still, 45 minutes does seem a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i do this journey every week or so, and bypassing kilbeggan and moate will save at least 40 mins. especially on fridays and sunday's when traffic is alot heavier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So whats the completion times for the rest of the M/N6?

jank wrote: »
    So whats the completion times for the rest of the M/N6?

Athlone - Ballinasloe due for completion in 2009 and Ballinasloe - Galway is 2010.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Is that so? Hmmm.... I remember a poll we had last year prediciting what inter urban would finish first. The N6 won but the N8 is making HUGE progess and could be all open at the end of next year.

It will be interesting what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

kaizersoze wrote: »

how can you think that? will there be more cars per hour passing througn Ballinasloe for some reason?

Surely the bottleneck at Ballinasloe would have to be smaller than that that was at Moate as some vehicles will have turned off between the two....(westbound) and it wont make any difference at all at Balinasloe (eastbound)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

45 mins would be a realisitc saving at peak time over the new 30 kms. the bottleneck will not be as bad in ballinasloe as it was in moate, as im sure quite a bit of traffic wont want to go as far as ballinasloe as mentioned above...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

I don't care if it saves me 5 mins or 55 mins, as long as I can keep moving I'll be smiling:)

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    how can you think that? will there be more cars per hour passing througn Ballinasloe for some reason?

Surely the bottleneck at Ballinasloe would have to be smaller than that that was at Moate as some vehicles will have turned off between the two....(westbound) and it wont make any difference at all at Balinasloe (eastbound)

Westbound is going to be the problem. It's not that there will be more cars, it's the fact that they will now be arriving at the town faster and all together. The bottleneck in Moate helped Ballinasloe because it held up the traffic and released it slowly. This meant that it was more spread out as it got to Ballinasloe.
    It has been discussed at local and Co.Council level and they realise that it's going to be a problem. They even approached the contractor doing the Ballinasloe to Galway leg. They wanted him to prioritise the section from the east of the town to the west of it, but it's not going to happen.
    It'll really get bad when the Athlone to Ballinasloe leg is finished a year before the rest of it.

Advertisement