Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents complaining about results?

Options
  • 21-01-2007 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Well right now I've just had a fight with my mother so I'm quite p*ssed off right now!!!

K, well my mum is annoyed about my JC results (and blames my bf but that's another story!) and wont let it go. I got 12 honours, it's not like I did sh*t.

She keeps saying how much catching up to do I have next year. I keep telling her that I'll focus on next year, next year. This year I just want to enjoy myself and not be focused on studying. This year is not all about academics! She's not making me study or anything but keeps threatening me.

My friend got grounded for a few months because he failed loadsa subjects at his Christmas report. His parents are outting the foot down and telling him to study.

We didn't even get Christmas reports in my school. Every other year did so we've just concluded that everyone did so poorly they didn't bother sending them out!

No-one I know in 4th year cares how they do because it's 4th year!!! Means NADA! We get very little homework, sometimes it's done, sometimes it's not. I could count the number of Spanish classes I've had this year on my hand. There's no work to grade us on so I don't know where some teachers get their grades from.

Any homework I get in business is graded. If you're out you automatically get zero. What's the deal with that?! You wern't given the work in the first place!

I'm the youngest in my family, so older siblings are brought in, 'they've set a great example for you, follow them.'
    I'm not my siblings!! I'm a very different person! Stop comparing me to them!

Anyone else's parents giving out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

JC results? wasnt that like.. a LONG time ago now?

i often get the usual "wtf no homework again.. what the hell is going on :/"

but so far, no threats..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

My parents never give out... there's the occasional ''maybe you should do some study'' but that never happpens and there's no fuss. My Christmas report was fine so they were pleased.

And if you haven't started LC courses then you'll have no catching up to do next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Jello wrote:
    My parents never give out... there's the occasional ''maybe you should do some study'' but that never happpens and there's no fuss. My Christmas report was fine so they were pleased.

That's basically the same for me as well. Although I've hardly had any homework in TY at all so far. I had a free last Monday which resulted in me scribbling out thousands of 'I am Bored' onto a blank page over a big 'Spin the Black Circle'. Fun times.

I get my report on Monday, I'm expecting to get nothing more than ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Yeah, I know how you feel, my parents were the same after my mocks last year.

My mam works in my school, so she knows that we've been forgotten about pretty much- I haven't had a class since god knows when!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Results came out in September. No matter what your results were, the parents SHOULD be over it by now.
    You're in TY. Its not meant to be all that educational of a year, its about nurturing your other intelligences not studying. They shouldn't be coming down that hard this year, because we get very little work to be graded on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My parents are very much the opposite. Now that most of the shows I was doing have ended I'm bored to tears, my mum laughed at me when I did an hour of study tonight.

Maybe try to look like you're doing a bit of work in the Subjects you're keeping up next year (English, Irish, Maths and whatever else you're doing) and explain to them that there's no point in putting too much effort into subjects you're gonna be dropping in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm in 5th year now didnt do TY, parents couldnt really say anything about the JC results even though they knew i was unhappy with english because they know there was nothing that could be done about it, but now there on my case the whole time about results

enjoy TY while you got it 5th year is hard...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Piste wrote:
    My parents are very much the opposite. Now that most of the shows I was doing have ended I'm bored to tears, my mum laughed at me when I did an hour of study tonight.

Maybe try to look like you're doing a bit of work in the Subjects you're keeping up next year (English, Irish, Maths and whatever else you're doing) and explain to them that there's no point in putting too much effort into subjects you're gonna be dropping in 5th year.

why did you study in ty?
    moron..........

Who the hell are you calling a moron? I'm doing 5th year Japanese, have just taken it up and missed a week last week so I was catching up on what I missed.

Also now that I've finished watching season 1 of prison break I have nothing else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Piste wrote:
    Who the hell are you calling a moron? I'm doing 5th year Japanese, have just taken it up and missed a week last week so I was catching up on what I missed.

Also now that I've finished watching season 1 of prison break I have nothing else to do.
    now thats what ty is about!!!

• Advertisement

what, Prison Break? I discovered Lost just before the JC, that was a bad Idea, though come summer I stopped watching it about halfwa through season 2. But now I don't feel guilty watchin 3/4 eps of prison break a night!

dude watch some Veronica Mars,Buffy and Firefly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

The Sopranos too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

lol :D

oh,24 is back as well now............

There are only 14 Firefly eps, I've seen them all by now sure. Yeah I have season 1 of Veronica Mars, might start watching that after I'm finished with Season 2 of PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Piste wrote:

How did you get yourself learning japanese? Is it a ty subject?

I'm watching Ugly Betty alot. Is buffy still on?:D

unfortunatly not...............if you like buffy,watch firefly!

Buffy anf Firefly are nothing alike, the only thing they have in Common is that Josh Whedon created the two of them, they're two very different shows.
    BlueSpiral wrote:
    How did you get yourself learning japanese? Is it a ty subject?

Modern Languages Initiative run Leaving Cert Japanese classes for fifth and sixth years in St. Michael's in Ballsbidge, though TYs are welcome for the fifth year classes. The class I'm in is mainly 5th years but there are three or four TY students.

Piste wrote:
    Buffy anf Firefly are nothing alike, the only thing they have in Common is that Josh Whedon created the two of them, they're two very different shows

Modern Languages Initiative run Leaving Cert Japanese classes for fifth and sixth years in St. Michael's in Ballsbidge, though TYs are welcome for the fifth year classes. The class I'm in is mainly 5th years but there are three or four TY students.

we do japanese and i hate it!

i like all other languages i study but......:mad:

its compulsary for ty's as well:mad: :mad:

• Advertisement

Yeah it's pretty different from all the other languages commonly taught in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

We do it for 1/3 of the year, it shares tuesday afternoons with communtiy care and technology. Basically we learned how to say "my name is", a few other thigs we've since forgotten, and watched "the Last Samurai" and "Lost in Translation". Not the most challenging class I've ever been in.

where you watching any japenese movies?
    imagine getting battle royale shown.............

We do it for 1/3 of the year, it shares tuesday afternoons with communtiy care and technology. Basically we learned how to say "my name is", a few other thigs we've since forgotten, and watched "the Last Samurai" and "Lost in Translation". Not the most challenging class I've ever been in.

if i hear.. 'watashi wa christoph des' one more time..

plus the teacher cant say my name:rolleyes:

still tries to translate it to japanese though:rolleyes:

we also ate some of the most revolting food known to man..:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Piste wrote:
    Yeah it's pretty different from all the other languages commonly taught in schools.
    And that's why I'd like to learn it, I'm getting pretty sick of french, may join that class in ballsbridge when i get into fifth year , seems interesting enough.

Lmao, Sligo what did you eat? You should always start by eating noodles/ramen or california rolls when you wanna get into japanese food. I'd kill for some wagamama chicken ramen right now..

BlueSpiral wrote:
    And that's why I'd like to learn it, I'm getting pretty sick of french, may join that class in ballsbridge when i get into fifth year , seems interesting enough.

Lmao, Sligo what did you eat? You should always start by eating noodles/ramen or california rolls when you wanna get into japanese food. I'd kill for some wagamama chicken ramen right now..

horseradish peas..
    these green tea flavored rice cakes..
    green tea..
    some really really salty soup as well:eek:

all manky..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

@OP:

The TYP in your school sounds sh1te....we at least watched amú le Hector in Irish and got a headstart in LC German (anyone who did TY and tried got a min B1 in LC Honours while te rest lagged a bit)

Homework isn't hectic in TY and I spent most of it roaming the corridors with someone else from the environmental committee

We did
    • Judo
    • Sailing
    • Kayaking
    • Philosophy
    • Try all the sciences
    • IT
    • Do a bit of LC maths
    • A bit of LC German
    • Charity fundraise
    • Englis poetry(bit of a snore)
    • Mini Company (got to the national final)
    • Watch "Amú le Hector"
    • Get the school a Green Flag
    • Record a CD
    • Market a product (on paper only...not like mini company)
    • Communication/People/Speech skills
    • Local history- took a different trip every week
    • Do a 40 page project on a topic of your own choosing as an End of Year project

I'm sure there was more and we were probably one of the more active years and were spurred on because we buried a classmate (RIP) the first week and it was kind of seen as "we have to do good for him" type thing

It's more a life learning curve than academic but there were projects for most subjects, but we had freedom in picking them for the most part. It was kind of college oriented

It was brilliant and we did Gaisce too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

BlueSpiral wrote:
    I'd kill for some wagamama chicken ramen right now..

Mmmmm...... :)

But back on topic.
    I got 9 hons, and 2 d's (irish + maths)
    Did all higher level.

Got shouted at, grounded, and made feel inadiquate because i didnt get all ****ing a's.
    I did my best, but i guess it wasnt good enough.

Bastards.

Yeah that's Harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I got my report in the end and it was pretty good so parents were grand after that!

We're getting so much actual work these days though.. not fun! Lotsa projects!

Advertisement