Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai Equipment

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Trojan911 wrote:
    I've not heard of these plastic ASP's. Would they be the T-Bar retractable batons by any chance? They are the only ones I've seen. Issued to the BTP (British Transport Police).

It was a straight 21" friction lock baton, make unknown. I'm not sure it was on wide-scale issue though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Trojan911 wrote:
    Tazer is there to be used by the above units not the normal beat/foot patrol. It is a non lethal tool to be used in extreme cases to avoid lethal confrontation.

My imput here on this forum is, in Ireland, is that if local/beat officers were to be issued with Tazer it would not work because of the aftermath i.e. the paperwork, waiting around hospitals etc a serious drain of resourses. CS spray would benefit them more.

TJ911...

CS spray is a less lethal device and would come under the same guidelines as all such devices. ie. after use medical attention would be provided to the injured party, in a subsequent investigation or court case the provision of kleenex would not be considered adequate medical attention, this is standard procedure across Europe, and our Military and Gardai are "Benchmarking themselves against best practices throughout Europe" and complying with human rights legislation.
    You are correct in saying the local beat officers will not be issued with taser in Ireland. For the reasons we have both given they won't be getting their hands on cs or pepper spray in the near future either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

CLADA wrote:
    the provision of kleenex would not be considered adequate medical attention

The above comment was meant as a bit of lighthearted banter comparing the difference between being shot with a barb and liquid, I know what I would prefer given the choice, Kleenex. However, the correct proceedure after the discharge of CS is plenty of eye wash and fresh air. Tissues would also be a very big plus as the amount of snot & tears that is discharged from a person is huge and I mean huge.

The person should also not be confined to the rear of the Paddy Wagon or enclosed in a confined space for at least fifteen minutes after and must be encouraged to avoid rubbing their eyes. Hospital treatment is not normally required however the custody Sgt may request the services of the police doctor.

I would still be in favour of CS going to the Gardaí. It is an effective weapon against thugs that carry knives and who grace our streets not giving a toss about anyones human rights. Law enforcers also have the right to life and carry out sometimes dangerous and life threatening work so why shouldn't they be properly protected?

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 btowner

Trojan911 wrote:
    It is an effective weapon against thugs that carry knives and who grace our streets not giving a toss about anyones human rights. Law enforcers also have the right to life and carry out sometimes dangerous and life threatening work so why shouldn't they be properly protected?

TJ911...

This is a good point I hate the way the criminals are now becoming pretty much more powerful in terms of weapons than the gardai. I also hate that ireland is one of the richest countries in europe but we still are backwards when it comes to our police service.

I know people are going to tell me the good things about the gards but im realistically comparing the gardai to other police services around europe.

Im not blaming the gardai either im blaming that f**k**g ejit of a justice minister.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

btowner wrote:
    This is a good point I hate the way the criminals are now becoming pretty much more powerful in terms of weapons than the gardai. I also hate that ireland is one of the richest countries in europe but we still are backwards when it comes to our police service.

I know people are going to tell me the good things about the gards but im realistically comparing the gardai to other police services around europe.

Im not blaming the gardai either im blaming that f**k**g ejit of a justice minister.
    /Steps in.

Ahem, what proof have you that Mick Mack is a "f**k**g ejit (sic)"?

If you're going to defame people, you shouldn't do it on a recorded medium where you could be liable for it. I can never understand why people come in here to rant about things. This forum isn't a soap box. If you want one, get a blog. We're not interested.

Adieu.

• Advertisement

Ask any gard what they think of "Mick Mack" and you'll understand why i called him an ejit.

Anyway i was only saying that at the end to throw it in. If i wanted to give out about him i'd start a new thread so stop being such a b***h about it.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Keep going on like that and you'll get a site ban.

Aside from the fact that you've been talking out of your ass for each of your 25 posts, most people here don't take too kindly to being called "a b***h". I'm no exception.

Ok sorry i hope i didn't make you cry. Why have you been stalking me anyway by checking all my posts. Your a weirdo:)

You don't know the half of it.

Anyway, you're certainly banned from this forum permanently, and I'm not sure how long you'll last on this site. I'll put you down as 4/5F on to be banned within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 s-t-e-p-h-e-n

cushtac wrote:
    ASP is a brand of baton & they don't make plastic ones.
    Sorry bout that, I usually refer to any extendable baton as an ASP!
    Let's face it though, The gardai are well behind the rest of the world when it comes to policing, although we're catching up its at an alarmingly slow speed!
    It seems at the moment that they're getting safer cars (replacing the mondeo's with Volvo's and subarus)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Trojan911 wrote:
    I agree. Law enforcement officers should be protected. It is a H&S issue also.

My opinion would be:

1. A choice of the extendable baton or the PR 24 solid (with a further choice of having a heavy or light one). Refresher training every six months.

I believe these are issue to the current phase in templemore at the moment, they are a plastic variety

2. Kwick Kuffs or speed cuffs (same as normal hand cuffs but the chain is replaced with a solid bar). A perp can be controlled very easily with even one of these cuffs on. Refresher training every six months.

Have these already, we use them in the Public Order Unit, as well as the above expandable batons(plastic) and an extra long plastic type baton worn visibly

3. CS spray. A fab perp stopper, however in the UK stats show 1 in 10 humans are immune to this & all dogs.

have heard nothing about this, although personally i believe it would be useful

4. Stab & bulletproof body armour which can be worn covertly or overtly. Preferably tailored to the officers size for comfort and maximum cover.

On trial in Tallaght at the moment, i have seen and worn the vests , the are like the london met ones, worn visibly and have the Garda insignia on them

I don't agree that Tazers should be issued to normal beat officers but refined to the likes of detectives or the E.R.U. I wouldn't trust some beat officers to be responsible enough to hold the Tazer. 50,000 volts is very painful.

I think the ERU now use non lethal weapons as a result of abbeylara, i agree with the sentiment with regard to regular issue to everyone
    TJ911...

Personally i think the vests should have priority
    sorry i messed up the quoting thing

Advertisement