Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Teens injured on M50 last night..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

LundiMardi wrote:
    An elephant isn't hard to describe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Young people today are far safer drivers than their parents were-
    in the early 70s, 600 people a year were dying on the republics roads yet there were far fewer vehicles.- too many grumpy old men methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Traumadoc wrote:
    in the early 70s, 600 people a year were dying on the republics roads yet there were far fewer vehicles.- too many grumpy old men methinks.

Just as a matter of interest, how old are you???? no criticisms or applauding, a question that will satisfy my view on who thinks what (if you get me:confused::confused: )

Was talking to a man in his 60's this evening who was lauging at the boy racers and how he left them struggling to catch up in his rearview in his Mondeo while they were driving "modified" 206s Civics.

I'm not of the opinion that modified="boy racer" anymore. Bob Dylan said it best- "the times they are a changin"

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Traumadoc wrote:

Might have something to do with safety features and crash survivability of modern cars. A lot of older cars were literally death traps, seat belts weren't even mandatory until the mid 70's. And of course theres the improvement in medicine, communications and roads.

Just saying, thats all.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

maidhc wrote:
    Theres always one:D
    ninty9er wrote:
    Was talking to a man in his 60's this evening who was lauging at the boy racers and how he left them struggling to catch up in his rearview in his Mondeo while they were driving "modified" 206s Civics.

I'm not of the opinion that modified="boy racer" anymore. Bob Dylan said it best- "the times they are a changin"

exactly Glad some people are getting it boy racers are the kind that wear peaked hats and drive around little **** boxes,
    Modified car owners are not boy racers (well one or two maybe)
    If they were why would the plough €1,000's and you have no idea how many €1000's into their cars.Then go out on the road drive at speed and crash.How many modified cars have you seen in crashes eg skylines integras,mr2's,ftos .
    There classed as boy racer cars right? Remember people modified car owners arnt boy racers.

For those of you that dont know a boy racer is
    ''A boy racer is a person, usually a male in his late teens or early twenties, who drives his car over the speed limit for fun. Their cars are most often regular models customised with spoilers, wide tires, flared fenders and similar things. Cars driven by boy racers are often small, and it's not uncommon that they are "all show and no go''

Not a MODIFIED CAR owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

ninty9er wrote:
    Just as a matter of interest, how old are you???? no criticisms or applauding, a question that will satisfy my view on who thinks what (if you get me:confused::confused: )
    ninty9er wrote:

Im 38

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Traumadoc wrote:
    Im 38

I would have thought much younger from the comment, just goes to show that all people aren't gullible eejits who think all young drivers are out to kill themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

16 year old boy, who was a passenger in the stolen car & who was cut out of the crumpled pile is now dead..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

RIP Darragh ;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

ciarsd wrote:
    16 year old boy, who was a passenger in the stolen car & who was cut out of the crumpled pile is now dead..

I presume he was one of the 4 that robbed the car to begin with then? Delighted for him.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote:
    I presume he was one of the 4 that robbed the car to begin with then? Delighted for him.

I was expecting replies like this. And wasnt sure whether to respond to them or not because of my personal situaton.

But I will just say 1 thing, death is not suitable punishment for stealing a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I was expecting replies like this. And wasnt sure whether to respond to them or not because of my personal situaton.

But I will just say 1 thing, death is not suitable punishment for stealing a car.
    No, but stealing a car, driving recklessly and endangering other peoples lives is an awfully low thing to do, and the culprits deserve all they get. If thats death then so be it. There'll be no RIP's from me.

OK.
    This is an internet message board. Would love to see u saying that to his friends or familys face. If u couldnt bring yourself to say it then you dont mean it or else u are a coward hiding behind a keyboard and monitor. Anyway I am not getting involved with this because of my personal situation so I wont be reading any more replies on here. Sorry its an upsetting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

OK.
    This is an internet message board. Would love to see u saying that to his friends or familys face. If u couldnt bring yourself to say it then you dont mean it or else u are a coward hiding behind a keyboard and monitor. Anyway I am not getting involved with this because of my personal situation so I wont be reading any more replies on here. Sorry its an upsetting time.
    I can deal with being a coward, but I don't steal cars. It makes no difference if I'd say it to their faces or not, it's what I think.

I don't think you'd be taking the same approach to this subject if you didn't know the person(s) involved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Obviously a difficult situation for you and the families involved.
    No it's not, but as was pointed out(beyond the whole stealing of somebody's hard worked for property)"joyriding" around at high speed, which they were clearly doing could have gotten others killed. I would have far far more sympathy reserved for those innocents they might have killed. While your friend may have been misguided he most certainly not innocent. He knowingly got into a stolen car, probably thinking it was a great buzz. Sad but tough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think the sentiment was that if someone was going to die because of reckless driving then maybe it is better that one involved bites the bullet rather than an innocent road user.
    However, as you say death is not an apt punishment for joyriding.

Anyhow, unless there is anything beneficial to say maybe its best if this thread is locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

kbannon wrote:
    Anyhow, unless there is anything beneficial to say maybe its best if this thread is locked?

Definitely.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ciarsd wrote:
    Definitely.
    Thats good enough for me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement