Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God Save the Queen & Croke Park

Options

Comments

Well they played it without incident (inside the ground) and Ireland won the match, which is what it was all about.

Another event consigned to history!

THE END

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

In reply to Post #90, Michael Collins was no Saint either . . . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

GSTQ sung well I thought, no hassle at all. Well maybe a few tv screens kicked in somewhere in BallyGobBackwards and South Armagh.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

great day. thank god this topic will never be spoken bout again. great reception for the english (team taking their time coming out of the dressing room)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

ArthurF wrote:

But he was a democratically elected T.D. and Minister for Finance at the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The sky didn't fall then.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

smashey wrote:
    The sky didn't fall then.:rolleyes:

No the sky fell* two weeks ago when we lost to France.:rolleyes:

*not literally of course

Was driven mad every 30 mins yesterday by Newstalk whittering-on about the Union Jack that would be flown over Croke Park at 5:30, so I rang them to explain that the 'St George Cross' would be flown and not not the Union Jack ............

Well I might as well have spoken to the wall, as they insisted that the Union Jack would fly, hence the reason for RSF demonstrating! I even rang them again later in the day to confirm that the 'Union Flag' would not be flown over Croke Park, but all I got from their News Room was the "Fact that it would be flown" ...............

Frightening! when even a reputable News Station like Newstalk cant see the significance or reason between the Union Jack & the St George Cross!

Looks like they were wrong anyway:D

RSF demonstrating about the british flag!

It's amazing how many people don't know the difference between the English flag and the British (UK) flag. :rolleyes: they must Never watch Rugby :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

ArthurF wrote:

micheal collins should replace st.pat as the patron saint of ireland. there should be a micheal collins day.

plus, a responce to post 81.
    any solder from a foreign land, should aspect to die when he/she leaves thier country and picks up a gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ArthurF wrote:
    Frightening! when even a reputable News Station like Newstalk cant see the significance or reason between the Union Jack & the St George Cross!
    Newstalk went down the toilet since they went culchie, sorry, nationwide.

Someone should have told them the old addage about not being able to please all of the people all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ArthurF wrote:
    Was driven mad every 30 mins yesterday by Newstalk whittering-on about the Union Jack that would be flown over Croke Park at 5:30, so I rang them to explain that the 'St George Cross' would be flown and not not the Union Jack ............

Well I might as well have spoken to the wall, as they insisted that the Union Jack would fly, hence the reason for RSF demonstrating! I even rang them again later in the day to confirm that the 'Union Flag' would not be flown over Croke Park, but all I got from their News Room was the "Fact that it would be flown" ...............

Looks like they were wrong anyway:D

I thought GSTQ was the National Anthem of the UK, not England anyway. Why was it sung? Do England not have an anthem?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I thought GSTQ was the National Anthem of the UK, not England anyway. Why was it sung? Do England not have an anthem?

She is Queen of England first and then UK, Commonwealth etc. .

Not true - she is Queen of the UK then other Commonnwealth countries

Not true - she is Queen of the UK then other Commonwealth countries

Yes that includes her title as Queen of England. Anyway it's just a tradition.

She is not Queen of England. The Act of Union in 1707 abolished the monarch of England (&Wales) and Scotland to be replaced by the Queen/King of the UK.

England use the UK anthem and ArthurF wonders why people don't see a distinction between the Union Flag and St. Georges Cross!

She is not Queen of England. The Act of Union in 1707 abolished the monarch of England (&Wales) and Scotland to be replaced by the Queen/King of the UK.

England use the UK anthem and ArthurF wonders why people don't see a distinction between the Union Flag and St. Georges Cross!
    Point taken.

The anthem is sung out of tradition by English/GB/UK teams. Based on an earlier hymn I believe.

I agree with ArthurF. Extreme laziness and sloppiness on the part of Newstalk.

Currently there is a huge debate going on in English Rugby circles regarding the illicit use of 'God Save the Queen' as the 'English' National Anthem by the RFU, because in reality GSTQ is not the 'English' Anthem!

'God Save the Queen' is the National Anthem of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, (UK) for short, and as such, many English supporters think that it should be replace by something more 'English' as opposed to British, Ironically it for this reason that many English people objected to GSTQ being played at 'Croke Park' last Saturday & (not because of any 1920 connotation).

'God Save the Queen' is not just specific to 'England' or the 'English'.

No:1 in the English Anthem replacement Chart is 'Jerusalem' closely followed by 'Land of Hope & Glory' .....................

The sooner they sort out this Anthem mess the better for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ArthurF wrote:
    Currently there is a huge debate going on in English Rugby circles regarding the illicit use of 'God Save the Queen' as the 'English' National Anthem by the RFU, because in reality GSTQ is not the 'English' Anthem!

'God Save the Queen' is the National Anthem of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, (UK) for short, and as such, many English supporters think that it should be replace by something more 'English' as opposed to British, Ironically it for this reason that many English people objected to GSTQ being played at 'Croke Park' last Saturday & (not because of any 1920 connotation).

'God Save the Queen' is not just specific to 'England' or the 'English'.

No:1 in the English Anthem replacement Chart is 'Jerusalem' closely followed by 'Land of Hope & Glory' .....................

The sooner they sort out this Anthem mess the better for all.

THis is all part of a bigger push by many English people for a better "English" identity.

For example, there is no English parliament. Scotland has their parliament, the Welsh have the Welsh assemble and, if they stop fannying around, Northern Ireland will have Stormont, but England have only has Westminster.

A recent survey showed that 51% of Scottish people want an independant Scotland, 52% of English people want an independant Scotland as well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

The only thing worse than the faded imperialism of God Save the Queen at Croker was our own hymn to militarism, originally written in English but now handily translated into Irish so that the pseudo nationalists too lazy even to learn the language don't know what they're singing. Let's change to "Ireland's Call". It's not much but it's the best option around. It lends itself to bawling off the terraces, it's mushy and sentimental, the fans and players love it and - most importantly - it doesn't mention guns. OK, Cool Philter wrote it but we can't have everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 slackerdude

An auxiliary named Bernard Gould writing in the Sunday Independent in 1929 remembered the events of that afternoon in Croke Park. He wrote that all the trouble could be traced back to one auxiliary with a reputation for mischief and that it was he who fired the first shot in the field killing one of the spectators after which, of course, all hell broke loose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know what prompted the British Lions rugby team to be renamed the British and Irish Lions? Was there pressure exerted from within Irish rugby circles?

Ain't you got anything better to do?

I do, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Jesus. wrote: »
    While we're on the subject, does anyone know what prompted the British Lions rugby team to be renamed the British and Irish Lions? Was there pressure exerted from within Irish rugby circles?

They were always known officially as the "British Isles Rugby Union Team". They were not known as the Lions until 1924. As far back as the 1970s, even that most obnoxious of British Empire loyalists and Apartheid apologist the late John Reason of the Daily Telegraph would describe the test side in his books, which he habitually brought out at the end of each tour as "The British Isles and Ireland". I haven't found any earlier works from the same author.

British Lions was an abbreviation that many were comfortable with. No big deal. The current usage, among the official press corps anyway, for "British and Irlsh Lions" is just a sop to modern standards of anodyne language which is determined not to be offensive to anyone at all, even at the expense of being cumbersome and unnecessarily verbose.

How many people from Derry to you know who refer to their city as Derry/Londonderry?

That's the way the newsreaders, in Britain anyway, now refer to it.

Bleughh!

First world problem.

Quality explanation there Snickers. Much appreciated.

Can't believe that guy used the term "British Isles and Ireland". What exactly was he trying to communicate? Or was he just exceptionally dumb?

smashey wrote: »
    I do, have you?

No disrespect Sir but maybe you should go and do it. No need to wade in with overzealous pernickety Modding. I just asked a simple question and its been answered very well by a well informed poster.

Its not as if this thread/history section is teeming with activity anyway. Jeez :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

That's it, drag up a 7 year old thread... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I didn't drag anything up. The thread was on the front page and that's how I noticed it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement