Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking @ a BMW 3 series opinions?

Options
  • 17-01-2007 11:55pm

Looking at getting a 3 series compact.

At the minute I'm looking at a 2001 325ti @ 16 grand.

Anyone got any opinions on these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 frankdrebin

These cars are aimed at older chicks that want the BM badge and know nothing about cars.

Do you meet these critria? Is so, then buy it.

Wouldnt touch one myself. A 325 coupe or M3 coupe (maybe if I won the lotto) are the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

These cars are aimed at older chicks that want the BM badge and know nothing about cars.

Wouldnt touch one myself. A 325 coupe or M3 coupe (maybe if I won the lotto) are the way forward.
    Are you sure this is true of the 01 3 series compact? I know it was true of the old one, which retained the E30 rear suspension, but I thought the 01 model was pretty close to the saloon?

Well an M3 or 325 coupe is out of my price range!

I'm neither old nor a chick.. I don't let stereotypes a car for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 frankdrebin

Well if your not old or a chick, you must be a young male. Should a young male buy anything that's "compact"? Bigger is better.

Well if your not old or a chick, you must be a young male. Should a young male buy anything that's "compact"? Bigger is better.

Yes, yes and no.

But thank you for your wise motoring advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Anan1 wrote:
    Are you sure this is true of the 01 3 series compact? I know it was true of the old one, which retained the E30 rear suspension, but I thought the 01 model was pretty close to the saloon?

The newer one is supposed to be a great car to drive if you can get over the looks of it. Personally I don't like the looks at all, and would rather go for a coupe.

eoin_s wrote:
    The newer one is supposed to be a great car to drive if you can get over the looks of it. Personally I don't like the looks at all, and would rather go for a coupe.

Yes this is primarily the reason I'm looking at it.. Just enough poke in it with the 2.5L 6 cylinder. And RWD handling..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

IMO, the compact = puke.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bazz26 wrote:

That coupe is such a nicer looking car than the compact. I doubt it's any less practical either.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input guys.

The looks of it are not the most important thing to me. I kind of like it myself.

ronoc wrote:

The looks of it are not the most important thing to me. I kind of like it myself.

Then it could be a great buy. check out www.bmw-driver.net/forum as well, some very helpful guys there.

ronoc wrote:

It really depends on what you want from the car. If your ego's a little fragile then a 'cool' car might help. If you're confident enough not to feel the need to impress anonymous bystanders then buy the Compact.:)

Anan1 wrote:
    It really depends on what you want from the car. If your ego's a little fragile then a 'cool' car might help. If you're confident enough not to feel the need to impress anonymous bystanders then buy the Compact.:)

Thanks.. I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

you like the car then buy it.. nothin to do with ego.. i drive a 316 saloon (yes old (30) chick ha) and its a lovely car to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There's nothing wrong with an E46 Compact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Seems a rare car in Ireland. Ive yet to see a 325ti here! A Q car I think. From the front & side view, I reckon few will expect it will hit 60 in the low 7secs.

Its the e46 I'm looking at. The old one is terrible looking.
    Andrewf20 wrote:
    Seems a rare car in Ireland. Ive yet to see a 325ti here! A Q car I think. From the front & side view, I reckon few will expect it will hit 60 in the low 7secs.

Yes they are rare as hens teeth with that engine. 7 -7.2 seconds to 60.

Top speed of 144, which is nice to have but It would be a rare occasion that it would ever see aything near that.

I'd probably remove the 325 badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Are you bringing that in from the UK ? Surely its a rare find on these shores.

Anyhow I can say the engine is a gem, if a little thirsty, and reviews tell me the handling is excellent, and if its like the rest of the 3 series it will be.

Only down side I have with my (much heavier) 320 is lack of low end torque and a clunky drive train, which makes it impossible to drive smoothly in traffic.(Huge flywheel me thinks)

A cool alternative to a golf.
    Never mind the taunts about it, to some people driving anything but a Toyota Carina Diesel is grounds for calling you a fag.

RobAMerc wrote:
    Are you bringing that in from the UK ? Surely its a rare find on these shores.

Anyhow I can say the engine is a gem, if a little thirsty, and reviews tell me the handling is excellent, and if its like the rest of the 3 series it will be.

Only down side I have with my (much heavier) 320 is lack of low end torque and a clunky drive train, which makes it impossible to drive smoothly in traffic.(Huge flywheel me thinks)

A cool alternative to a golf.
    Never mind the taunts about it, to some people driving anything but a Toyota Carina Diesel is grounds for calling you a fag.
    Yep very rare.

There she is:
    http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=329779

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

IMO whether it is a good buy depends on how long you are going to hold on to it for.
    Its undoubtedly a great drivers car but the resale market for a 2.5l compact is very limited - however if you intend to hold on to it for a long enough period this isn't as much of an issue

ronoc wrote:
    That looks to be fairly well priced. I had a quick look on eBay, and the cheapest comparable one in the UK is STG£8,500 + VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I don't think that even Junkyard would be keen on the 3 series compact....
    And he is Mr. BMW Blinkered Vision of the century....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

I'd have to agree with Frank. As a guy you also look extremely silly driving these compacts. I'd rather buy a 1 series than these horrible looking compacts.

I've got a 325 Coupe myself...and I'd definitely recommend it. Yes...you do look like a bit of a w***er in it. There's no escaping that one. The performance and handling is immense though.

However if it's out of your price range and you're not bothered about the compact image then go for it. I try to ignore all the evil glances I get in my motor all the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i considered that car myself but i ended up going for a 323ci instead.

Its well priced but has been for sale a good 4 mths now and gone from 18500 to 16k, itll be a tough one to sell one.

I would have considered it but the interior colouring put me right off on that particular one

Interesting.. Can't see myself driving a Jag though lol

Most of them are slightly out of my price range or older and with more millage than I like. But food for thought anyways.

CarLover wrote:
    I'd have to agree with Frank. As a guy you also look extremely silly driving these compacts. I'd rather buy a 1 series than these horrible looking compacts.

I've got a 325 Coupe myself...and I'd definitely recommend it. Yes...you do look like a bit of a w***er in it. There's no escaping that one. The performance and handling is immense though.
    If I cared about such things then i'd sooner look silly than look like a wanker any day.:)

CarLover wrote:

However if it's out of your price range and you're not bothered about the compact image then go for it. I try to ignore all the evil glances I get in my motor all the time :)

Did you sign up a new account just to say that... Frankdrebin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

ronoc wrote:
    Did you sign up a new account just to say that... Frankdrebin

No. For the record I am NOT Frankdrebin...I swear :)

Advertisement