Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designer stairs

Options
  • 17-01-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

does anyone know of anyone in the northwest that does designer stairs, we are looking for oaksteps with glass and stainless steel banisters for our new build, any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

PJ Designs in Drumkeen might be a good place to start - if they cant do them they may point you in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vinneyboy

muffler wrote:
    PJ Designs in Drumkeen might be a good place to start - if they cant do them they may point you in the right direction

i know about pj designs and i'm in the process of getting a price would like to get a few prices, so as compare like for like, as far as see pj designs seem to have the market to themselves, but maybe i'm wrong.

Vinneyboy wrote:
    as far as see pj designs seem to have the market to themselves, but maybe i'm wrong.
    Hardly PJ's fault is it?

muffler wrote:
    Hardly PJ's fault is it?

no it isn't his fault, but for a customer looking for a good deal and for a few prices to compare like for like competition is healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

There is a place up the road opposite Harkin's fireplaces outside Lifford. If I can get the details, I will pm them to you.

• Advertisement

smashey wrote:
    There is a place up the road opposite Harkin's fireplaces outside Lifford. If I can get the details, I will pm them to you.

i know where you on about its just up the road from me in castlefin, i will give them a shout, thanks smashey never thought on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TheycallmeBill

Try Joe McNally Joinery in Walshestown (North County Dublin). They supply a German stairs called Kengott. I am going with Oak threads, stainless steel bannister with 10mm glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

We got a guy from Castlebar, he's a stainless steel worker. Did an excellent job on our stainless steel and oak stairs. He also works with you on your design. PM me if you want his number and i'll find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭secman

We have been qouted €4,800 inc vat for solid oak, whats a ball park for stainless steel, glass and oak threads ?

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Try Classic Stairs in Fintona

I was quoted £6000 for similar staircase (sterling I'm afraid).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a designer stairs too. I'm in the mid-west so if anyone has info on similar providers in the galway/mayo/clare area I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

Gonna be building in approx 1 year myself in Louth. Never really thought of this option but you guys have got me thinking (there goes the budget :rolleyes: ) Would really like to know how ye get on with quotes/contacts etc.
    Anybody have any links to pics of this type of stairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Try Joe McNally Joinery in Walshestown (North County Dublin). They supply a German stairs called Kengott. I am going with Oak threads, stainless steel bannister with 10mm glass.

I have the Kengott book, and it's exaclty what I want..........have you got a no, or address for, Joe McNally ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    I have the Kengott book, and it's exaclty what I want..........have you got a no, or address for, Joe McNally ?

If anybody has these details, send them by PM. Do not post them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bluebelle

What are "Designer Stairs" as opposed to stairs made to your spec?

Bluebelle wrote:
    What are "Designer Stairs" as opposed to stairs made to your spec?

What about a designer shirt as opposed to getting one made in a tailors?

Do you mean buying stairs "designed' by a "Designer", as opposed to stairs that are made to suit the house, to ones own specifications or ones own design. Am looking for stairs and want to have the the proper jargon!

Right, enough of the pedantry regarding "designer" stairs. They are bespoke.

smashey wrote:
    Right, enough of the pedantry regarding "designer" stairs. They are bespoke.
    Thats like something a solicitor would come out with :D

Thanks Smashey. Now I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭itsmine

Can anyone recommend a supplier in the midlands/west (Longford/Westmeath/Roscommon) for a 'bespoke' stairs - pretty much which the op wanted, only with cherry or walnut treads.. glass sides and stainless handles?
    How much could I expect to pay for a straight 13 step set of stairs made up in this configuration of materials does anyone know?
    Cheers me'dears..

I gave up trying to get a quote from the Kengott people in Ireland, and ended up going with Brookwood in Claremorris ( see http://www.brookwood.ie/ )

I'm getting a 'bespoke' stairs, of maple, with stainless/maple spindles, maple newells with stainless details, and banister of maple.

Stairs, one flight with a 45deg turn, and a second stairs to basement with a similar 45 deg turn, came to over 14k. Due here just after hols, so we shall see, as they say.........

One thing though: at least brookwood had a showroom of finished stairs where I could go in, see, climb up on, etc. Not aware of anyone else offering that facility........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DeirdreD

Any recommendations of those doing bespoke stairs in the Cork area? Quality of work? Price? etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 marielle

galwaytt wrote: »
    I gave up trying to get a quote from the Kengott people in Ireland, and ended up going with Brookwood in Claremorris ( see http://www.brookwood.ie/ )

I'm getting a 'bespoke' stairs, of maple, with stainless/maple spindles, maple newells with stainless details, and banister of maple.

Stairs, one flight with a 45deg turn, and a second stairs to basement with a similar 45 deg turn, came to over 14k. Due here just after hols, so we shall see, as they say.........

One thing though: at least brookwood had a showroom of finished stairs where I could go in, see, climb up on, etc. Not aware of anyone else offering that facility........

Hey there galwaytt! I was going through old posts since i have to find stairs myself , preferably not too far from galway, and was wondering how did yours work out for you? Any pics by any chance?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Nessie67

DeirdreD wrote: »
    Any recommendations of those doing bespoke stairs in the Cork area? Quality of work? Price? etc

Hi DeirdreD,
    A place I came across was www.signaturestairs.ie who are based in killarney, some fantastic designs, but unfortunately not within our budget at the mo :(
    Am saving like mad though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

For anybody still interested in this theme, there is a class small business in Drumshanbo called Art Francais who make non-standard woodden stairs.

marielle wrote: »
    Hey there galwaytt! I was going through old posts since i have to find stairs myself , preferably not too far from galway, and was wondering how did yours work out for you? Any pics by any chance?:D

Ask, and you shall receive, as they say.....
    DSC00705_1.jpg

Without a doubt, the best purchase in the whole house, and the least hassle. Arrived on time (within a couple of days, at any rate), fitted in 2 days, finished. No sanding, sealing, varnishing, polishing etc............stairs was completely pre-finished.

It's art, really............

Edit: I've checked, they'll supply and fit anywhere in Ireland, so don't let location put you off..........

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Nessie67

Congrats galwaytt on your fab stairs, they're stunning!

Nessie67 wrote: »
    Congrats galwaytt on your fab stairs, they're stunning!

ta very much........it was nothing, really, I'd just like to thank all the members of the Academy, my family..........oh, hold on, wrong speech :D:D

One subtle thing I didn't notice until after it was in, is that one stringer is convex shaped, the other concave - and ditto the hand rails. I also love that there is no newell post where the angle meets, and that the rail is continuous.........this is something they came up with, not me.......

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

The gap between the spindles looks greater than 100mm to me. :D

Advertisement