Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in Atlantis in Season 4 Concern!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

They shouldn't have axed Ford.

No way, Ford was terrible it was probably one of the best decisions the writers made.

With regard to the wraith has anyone noticed that theyre alot easier to kill recently, in the first episodes the team colud empty a clip into a wraith and they'd just jump up again and keep fighting now its like 2 shots and theyre dead????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

In the end, i <3 beckett and at the very least he should be in at least 10 or more episodes every season, cause he is teh legend. I mean ive noticed he has had a fair few appearances this season and i don't know why they'd flesh out his character so much just to get rid of him...but sure I'm hoping they've changed their minds by now...

As for Tapping joining the cast, big mistake, i mean for one what about the sg1 movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

cotwold wrote:
    No way, Ford was terrible it was probably one of the best decisions the writers made.
    No he wasbn't. He was an original, and geuinly interesting character who added to the new dynamic. He had way more potential then Ronin.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sorry, but I can't understand why you people think Ford was an interesting character? He was a b*. And when he wasn't a b* he was definitely being an idiot. "There's some funky bug thing on his neck!". I'm sorry, he got his chance in 38 Minutes, and he threw it away. As for the wraith DNA thing ....................................................yeah. That was just stupid. And guess what? He threw those episodes away too. It wasn't that it wasn't an interesting part, but poor Rainbow, is a F* idiot with no talent. Thats why they picked up the Michael thread in stead; gave it someone who knew how to use it.

I feel kinda bad for Ronan: he's a grand character but sadly he has nothing to do; mainly due to the overall lack of backdrop. I do like him though just because he's completely dominated by impulse: potentially given his character very few limits as to what he could be doing. It's true that Ford had more potential, but as it really went to spoil. If they can't think of something though he needs to go: I would prefer he stayed.

As for Weir, they really did explain in Black and White why she needed to go in First Strike. As a city administrator she was fine but I don't think she should be in charge of anything past that: It should be deffered to the military. Offworld teams and all. She had to step down.

Teyla is neither the hottest character on television nor does she have any form of character. She talks like this all of the time. It is very aggrivating. I wish she had died in Sunday. I predict she will be replaced for Sam in offworld missions; at least from time to time.

And what about Sam? I think thats welcome: Her and Rodney have great acting chemistry. Just give Rodney some time to get his balls stuck in his zip for a minute and it'll go back to their first encounter in 48 Hours. Any time the 2 are on screen you must admit they work; much like Daniel and RDA. These people calling it a mistake will be singing a different melody by Christmas.

As for "Hot Blonde Doctor" (-The Todd) What a terribly forced intro. Im going to give her the benefit of Doubt though: She has a week. :)

Geni have got to be redefined in terms of their relationship with Atlantis: first its oh help us test these then its hahaha we stole your stuffs and then its They dont speak for all of us and now its what-the-hell-is-up-with-those-guys?

Alterans getting killed in one episode and being arrogant pricks about it....mah, they deserved it.

Wraith: the Episode where Sheppard and the one got themselves out: brilliant, and it opened a window of opportunity to flesh out the wraith. And by that I only mean that it hints that there is more to learn about the Wraith. Look at what they did with the Cylons in BSG: wether you agree with it or not, they did succesfully add entire new dimensions to them. The same kind of idea should be implemented onto the wraith in some manner or another. It's gotta happen in Season 4 or its not gonna happen at all because right now I can't see how this can go to Season 5 really. Even with Ancient Replicators

Whats up with that anyway: Milky Replicators, Pegasus Replicators.....sorry, there is either some connection or its the stupidest coincidence ever. In fact, I nearly know there is: when the Reps were first introduced it WAS in a galaxy far, far away...

Also: PWARWs....say that 3 times fast. Then say "Stupid Weapon Names"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Overheal wrote:
    the stupidest coincidence ever
    qft.
    Wraith: the Episode where Sheppard and the one got themselves out: brilliant, and it opened a window of opportunity to flesh out the wraith.

Have to agree - one of the best episodes of the season.

• Advertisement

what did you mean by qft? 'Quit ****ing talking'? :) its that kind of miscommunication glitch caused by acronyms that prevents me from using them: so sorry if it seems airy its just normal worldly speech ;)

I dunno I find just it a hard sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Overheal wrote:
    what did you mean by qft?
    Lol :D

Quoted for Truth.

Well the acronym finder came up with some interesting results: http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?acronym=qft

My favorite being Quantum Field Theory...which may explain the coincidence somehow in someway somewhere in a place we cant see yet...SO STAY SHARP!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

ixoy wrote:
    Beckett never 100% stuck with me as a member of the away team.
    Away team!? None of your Star Trek lingo here buddy! :p
    I prefer "go-through-gate-now team".

Beckett was a great character, I'll miss him but having Kaylee replace him could ease the pain.

As long as they don't replace Sheppard, McKay or Zalenka, we should be ok.

BopNiblets wrote:
    I prefer "go-through-gate-now team".

I prefer SG team....

As for lingo they really did get the short straw with The Life Signs Detector..........

...........yeha.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

BopNiblets wrote:
    Ugh never! That was wrong of me to even suggest it. 1 minute ban for me :)
    As long as they don't replace Sheppard, McKay or Zalenka, we should be ok.
    I'm afraid Zelenka will get less screentime now that S4 will have Carter and McKay for the science roles. Shame. They should beef up Zelenka's part and bring in Daniel dammit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

ixoy wrote:
    Ugh never! That was wrong of me to even suggest it. 1 minute ban for me :)

I'm afraid Zelenka will get less screentime now that S4 will have Carter and McKay for the science roles. Shame. They should beef up Zelenka's part and bring in Daniel dammit!!!

Totally agree with this, the intro of Carter will relegate Zelenka to the periphery and that is a bad thing. A lot of people are happy about the re-introduction of the whole Carter-McKay dynamic but IMHO McKay-Zelenka are a far more interesting pair. The Carter-McKay relationship was just used in SG-1 to show McKay up to be an arsehole and show Carter to be the better, more patient scientist. This might be interesting if it was this that was carried forward to Season 4 but since then they have really changed the relationship so that now McKay is some sad 15 yr old boy slobbering over this rather mediocre woman who he cannot have, it is cringe worthy viewing in the short doses we have got and on a season long basis I can see it getting really unwatchable.

Jackson was the obvious and really the only sensible choice to go to Atlantis but the simple fact that Tapping had a two year contract (why?) means they are stuck with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Totally agree with this, the intro of Carter will relegate Zelenka to the periphery and that is a bad thing. A lot of people are happy about the re-introduction of the whole Carter-McKay dynamic but IMHO McKay-Zelenka are a far more interesting pair. The Carter-McKay relationship was just used in SG-1 to show McKay up to be an arsehole and show Carter to be the better, more patient scientist. This might be interesting if it was this that was carried forward to Season 4 but since then they have really changed the relationship so that now McKay is some sad 15 yr old boy slobbering over this rather mediocre woman who he cannot have, it is cringe worthy viewing in the short doses we have got and on a season long basis I can see it getting really unwatchable.

Jackson was the obvious and really the only sensible choice to go to Atlantis but the simple fact that Tapping had a two year contract (why?) means they are stuck with her.

Agree on both counts, mcgarnicle.

Zalenka was a character that could have been developed into an effective re-curring guest star, but now with 2 "egg-heads" on the show before him (I mean in terms of importance) it will be unlikely that we will see him doing much next season. This addition of Cater, as you say, will reduce McKay to a mear shell of the character he is now. He will be getting things wrong (i.e. calculations etc.) when before he would always get them right.

Daniel was the obvious choice to "move-over" seeing as there isn't a similar character in Atlantis already. If he did move, however, it would change the type of episodes we would see. Jackson always seemed to revel in places where history/language was the big issue - for example solving ancient ruins or communicating with aliens etc. etc. We don't see much of that in Atlantis at the moment - it hasn't really been part of the Atlantis make-up so far, and if it were to be introduced would only serve to make Atlantis more of an SG1 clone.

IMO, still, Carter moving to Atlantis is a bad decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eoin sreenan

Im afraid i am going to have to concure with a lot of the feelings on weir nd say it mightn't be too bad a thing that she is going.

She has not been to bad to date but her character is not really going anywhere and the whole atlantis base lacks the authorative style of the sgc.

Samantha moving over I feel would help, give a bit more stability

Kojak wrote:
    Daniel was the obvious choice to "move-over" seeing as there isn't a similar character in Atlantis already. If he did move, however, it would change the type of episodes we would see. Jackson always seemed to revel in places where history/language was the big issue - for example solving ancient ruins or communicating with aliens etc. etc. We don't see much of that in Atlantis at the moment - it hasn't really been part of the Atlantis make-up so far, and if it were to be introduced would only serve to make Atlantis more of an SG1 clone.
    That's the best counter-argument to Daniel moving over that I've heard yet and it makes some sense.
    However, I'd argue that it would enable them to open up new avenues with the Ancients who inhabited Atlantis. We still don't know too much about them and a lot of what we did know was through Weir. If her role is relegated then there's a new opportunity for someone to communicate with them and involve them in Atlantis. Who better than the man who's been up and down the Ascension ladder more often than most people have had hot baths?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

weir stepping down, Sam arriving... I hope to God that Sam isnt put in charge of Atlantis. I'd imagine she'd have the exact same management style as Weir, and nothing would change. Nicer to look at tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 schwaaaaa

I absolutely love battlestar galactica, cant believe dey may be culling loads of cast!!!! i hope 2 god janeway isnt goin newhere or spud 4 dat matter!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

schwaaaaa wrote:
    I absolutely love battlestar galactica, cant believe dey may be culling loads of cast!!!! i hope 2 god janeway isnt goin newhere or spud 4 dat matter!:eek:
    Er...............

schwaaaaa wrote:

Hahaha...ROFLCOPTOR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Yeah instead of Carter, Daniel would make more sense, given that there isnt a character like him really...whereas McKay and Carter = science heroes

Also Carter's introduction will ruin brilliant relationships between McKay and Zelenka, Beckett and Sheppard, which are all class and hilarious sometimes...i feel Him and Carter will be emphasized :(

• Advertisement

schwaaaaa wrote:

What the hell? :confused:

Oh sorry guys, im prob a bit ahead of you, im watching the "star galactica battle wars trek" as the season goes in America, sorry if i ruined a bit of the ending!!! my bad:D

Hahaha...ROFLCOPTOR.

U cud've just said lol, alot easier 2 write...... u crazy kids these days and your internet jargon:(

Cut the pointless crap posting schwaaaa or you won't be posting for long here.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Gateworld have a new article up on Season 4.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/02/sci_fi_confirms_iatlantisi_chang.shtml
    GateWorld wrote:
    Taking the torch from SG-1 as television's most thrilling adventure series, Atlantis, slated to begin production in Vancouver next month, promises to up the ante this season by introducing a powerful new race, welcoming new cast members and mourning the loss of some beloved friends.

Powerful new race, the cynic inside me is crying out that this will be some new enemy when there are already plenty in Pegasus... the ambiguous use of race though has the optimist in me saying this could be a new ally... the Stargate fanboy in me wonders, furlings?

"Mourning the loss of some beloved friends", I was under the impression that Weir was returning as a recurring character for season 4... could this imply she is gone though? Fingers crossed it means that Teyla and Ronin get in some fatal accident in the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

mcgarnicle wrote:
    "Mourning the loss of some beloved friends", I was under the impression that Weir was returning as a recurring character for season 4... could this imply she is gone though?

Dead or not, im sure she'll make her way into a few episodes. Dead characters in scifi usually tend to. To quote Grant Naylor, "Death aint the handicap it used to be".

Heres another article I decided to snip: Its old but it has some data we dont. Deleted a bunch of stuff we already know to death so if theres any context errors..
    Amanda Tapping joins 'Stargate Atlantis'

Amanda1 The biggest news, however, is that Amanda Tapping, who played “Stargate SG-1’s” Samantha Carter for 10 seasons, will join the main cast of “Atlantis” for its fourth season, which arrives in the fall.

Tapping will be in 14 of the 20 Season 4 episodes of “Atlantis,” which, like “SG-1,” revolves around intrepid explorers using wormhole technology to travel all over the universe (an activity that often leads to epic battles with alien bad guys).

Torri Higginson, who plays Elizabeth Weir, the head of the “Stargate Atlantis” mission, will be a recurring character in Season 4, executive producer Joseph Mallozzi said in a phone interview from the show’s Vancouver set. Mallozzi couldn’t say for sure how many fourth-season episodes Higginson would be in; that number is in “a state of flux,” he said.

Mallozzi didn’t want to be specific about how Higginson and Tapping’s characters will fit into the command structure of the Atlantis expedition in Season 4, but he did say that Carter will provide “more of a support role.”

“She’ll be an important member of the Atlantis expedition, but the Atlantis team is the Atlantis team. The stories will focus on them as a team and on them in terms of the development of the characters. Sam isn’t there to overshadow what we have in place but to support it,” Mallozzi said.

But Carter’s background as an astrophysicist will mean that Rodney McKay (David Hewlett), the snarky in-house genius on “Atlantis,” will have another scientific brain to pick.

“She can take some of that workload off David -- David has a terrific amount of technobabble” on the show, Mallozzi said. Carter’s experience as a military officer, a warrior and a leader will also come in handy, he said.

“Needless to say I was stunned, for lack of a better word. I didn’t see that coming at all. Personally, I felt like I was doing a good job on the program and I think the producers thought so as well. …. I was sad and disappointed by their decision, but yet this is a business. I understand that and I respect these guys for giving me the chance to play a character like Carson Beckett,” McGillion told Starburst.

Mallozzi would neither confirm or deny the death of Beckett, but he did say, speaking hypothetically, that in the realm of sci fi, even “dead” characters have a way of turning up again in some way. Could Beckett make an appearance in Season 4? “It’s possible,” Mallozzi said. “This is sci fi, no one is every gone for good.”

He added that if the character were to exit, Beckett would not “ascend,” as Daniel Jackson did when his character exited for a season. “I can guarantee you that will not be the route we go,” Mallozzi said.

Jewel Staite, of Joss Whedon’s “Firefly,” will join “Atlantis” for eight episodes as Dr. Keller, “a physician who joins the Atlantis expedition,” according to a Sci Fi press release. (Staite already had a guest role on the show as a different character, a Wraith child named Ellia).

Mallozzi said that Season 4 of “Atlantis” would also feature the arrival of a new alien race, one that will be an “unpredictable wild card.”

“Looking over the 10 stories we’ve been thinking about” for the first half of Season 4 of “Atlantis,” Mallozzi said, “the easiest way to put it is that a lot of [stuff] is going to go down. Some fans will not like it, some fans will love it. We’re going to get movement on characters, and we’ll have some fairly character-centric stories. We’re going to develop an aspect of the Wraith, and we’re going to have this new wild-card race,” he said.

Who was right? This guy <
    There were no plans at present, he said, to have Ben Browder (who plays “SG-1’s” Cameron Mitchell), Claudia Black (“SG-1’s” Vala Mal Doran) or Michael Shanks (“SG-1’s” Daniel Jackson) guest on “Atlantis,” but Mallozzi didn’t rule it out.

“They’re going to be in the two [‘Stargate SG-1’ DVD] movies” that are being filmed this spring, Mallozzi said. As far as bringing them back to “Atlantis,” “it’s a matter of coming up with a believable story and the actors’ availability and everything else. At this point it makes more sense for Teal’c or for Daniel Jackson to come to ‘Atlantis’ than for [Cameron] Mitchell."

He added that Christopher Judge, who plays Teal’c on “SG-1,” will guest on one early fourth season episode of “Atlantis.”

A few final thoughts from Joseph Mallozzi:

Some general thoughts on Season 4 of “Atlantis”: “The past couple of years, we’ve done 40 episodes of TV [between ‘SG-1’ and ‘Atlantis’]. That’s kind of a huge order by anyone’s standards. We got an early start and we got stuff done, we were never late, but we were always up against it. These 20 episodes [for Season 4], we were able to think things through and really focus a lot. People complained that [in the past] there were a lot of McKay-centered stories. This year, when we went into Season 4 planning, we wanted to have a story for each character, something that explores their backstory and personality, with things that had not been revealed in previous episodes. We’re also doing a little more in terms of setting up extended, season-long arcs.”

On the new race in Season 4: “I want to keep it somewhat vague, but they are a race of beings that are atypical of the Pegasus galaxy. They’re a type of people we’ve encountered before in ‘SG-1,’ but we’ve yet to encounter [this type of race] in the ‘Atlantis’ universe.”

On the series finale of “Stargate SG-1” and the two “Stargate SG-1” movies: “The season finale – it’s not a cliffhanger, but on the other hand, it’s not a neat and tidy tie-up like ‘Mobius.’ For many fans of the show, ‘Mobius’ was a nice wrap up to [Jack O’Neill’s] run on ‘SG-1.’ In the first movie, we’re going to seek to tie up loose ends regarding the Ori. The second movie is more of a standalone, it’s nothing to do with the Ori. It’s more of a Goauld story, a more traditional ‘Stargate SG-1’ story.”

On fan reactions to the upcoming season of “Atlantis”: I think fans are needlessly worried. They read spoilers and get upset [before they see the episodes]. The heartache and the anger – fans would save themselves a lot of that if they would wait and watch the episodes. I’m sure they are already starting their letter-writing campaigns. But in our case, to be brutally honest, they don’t really have an impact on creative decisions.”

Cool article.

This is bugging me ......
    On the new race in Season 4: “I want to keep it somewhat vague, but they are a race of beings that are atypical of the Pegasus galaxy. They’re a type of people we’ve encountered before in ‘SG-1,’ but we’ve yet to encounter [this type of race] in the ‘Atlantis’ universe.”
    ....sounds awfully like the Asurans. But who could it be?....the Asgard?

Maybe the Furlings? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cool article.

This is bugging me ..........sounds awfully like the Asurans. But who could it be?....the Asgard?
    The Asguard have already been in Atlantis. Remember Hermiod, the engineer aboard the Daedelus?

Advertisement