Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in Atlantis in Season 4 Concern!!!!

Options
  • 16-01-2007 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Gateworld.net has been reporting major changes are set to happen on Atlantis in Season 4 good or bad i leave that up to you to decide.

What concerns me the most is what i see as a constant change in cast/characters in the show. Major cast changes did not happen in Stargate SG-1 until the show was well established eg season 6 i think.

The time is no been given on Atlantis for the characters to build a relationship like that of SG-1, which might effect the future of the show.

I am full supportive of Samantha Carter (Amanda Tapping) joining Atlantis i think it is a great idea. What concerns me is the constant change in regular cast gateworld is just now reporting that Torri Higginson ("Elizabeth Weir") will no longer be a main cast member in SG Atlantis. The loss of BECKETT, CARSON to be replaced by Jewel Staite (Dr. Keller) and the introduction of Michael Beach as Colonel Abe Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I didnt know they where getting rid of two if them
    hmmm well time will tell i mean when was the last time we even saw a wraith?
    thats a big chnage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

User45701 wrote:
    I didnt know they where getting rid of two if them
    hmmm well time will tell i mean when was the last time we even saw a wraith?
    thats a big chnage

Lol :D:D

This could been seen as a culling of the huge cast Atlantis has aquired over the last few years.

While I thought Beckitt had something to offer the show (maybe more as a recurring character - like Dr. Fraiser in SG1 - than a main character) Weir, and more to the point Tori Higginson, was just a waste of space, IMO. There was no strong leadership from Weir and, from my point of view, always relied on pity to get her decisions through.

The constant changing can't be good for the long-term prospects of the show - but it does shake it up a bit. If they were getting rid of characters why not Ronan??

Carter is now going to be on 14 episodes of season 4 of Atlantis. So much for a re-curring role :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Weir and Beckett were never important/interesting characters anyway. I assume they'll have to kill Weir, cant see her taking reassignment.

Jewel Staite ftw \o/
    And Michael Beach's resume looks pretty interesting.

I'd say a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

=cyberwit]Samantha Carter (Amanda Tapping) joining Atlantis

I kinda hoped this wouldn't happen, if it does I hope she gets better lines, she's just been spouting tech-jargon and fixing things at the last moment. I sure as hell hop there's no episode centered around McKay's feelings for her.... AGAIN.
    cyberwit wrote:
    reporting that Torri Higginson ("Elizabeth Weir") will no longer be a main cast member in SG Atlantis.

YES! The prayers have been answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You might want to put a spolier warning up there.....

• Advertisement

the title emplyies spoilers its about season 4 most amercians still have not seen episode 11 yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Major cast changes in a show can work really well when handled corectly as you only have to look at Babylon 5 for example to see how character changes can be done so perfectly to create real tension and drama.

Moving Carter to Atlantis is just a bad idea as that show already has a tech head for last moment saving's of the day and the whole Mckay loves Carter angle will get very boring very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Venom wrote:
    Major cast changes in a show can work really well when handled corectly as you only have to look at Babylon 5 for example to see how character changes can be done so perfectly to create real tension and drama.

Moving Carter to Atlantis is just a bad idea as that show already has a tech head for last moment saving's of the day and the whole Mckay loves Carter angle will get very boring very fast.

The cast has never been right. Teyla was the flaw in season 1.
    In season 2 we lost Ford, 'gained' Ronin and Beckitt and it's been like that.
    Anyway, Weir will be a recurring character, she will still be in the show, presumably still in charge of Atlantis. Probably just as much as she is it now.
    Personally I thought she was good in season 1. They dug themselves into this hole and it will be their own un-doing.

As for Michael Beach, he's mainly coming in because Mitch Pillegi is tied up with his other show so much now.

The cast has never been right. Teyla was the flaw in season 1.
    In season 2 we lost Ford, 'gained' Ronin and Beckitt and it's been like that.
    Anyway, Weir will be a recurring character, she will still be in the show, presumably still in charge of Atlantis. Probably just as much as she is it now.
    Personally I thought she was good in season 1. They dug themselves into this hole and it will be their own un-doing.

As for Michael Beach, he's mainly coming in because Mitch Pillegi is tied up with his other show so much now.

Beckitt has been one of the main characters since the first episode tbh. Teyla has always been a mistake I'll agree and Ronan is just a poor man's Teal'c. The writers could of kept Ford around and used him as the straight man for Shepard unigue behaviour but instead went for the cheep jaffa clone. Weir also suffered from bad writing as most of the episodes centred on her have just been rehash after rehash of bog standard sci fi filler episodes.

The other big problem with Atlantis is lack of a serious villian. The wraith were crap from day one and lacked any of the charm, power or down right wickedness of the goual'd. The Geni plotlines go all over the place depending on the episode in question and now we have the relicators v2.0 who go down even easier than the original. The Atlantis crew need a serious bad guy to have to deal with and a serious ass kicking to set up the story arch imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Beckett was a great character, and his interactions with Rodney were always funny as hell. I never saw him as a main character, but thought he was a nice change.

This move in direction is quite ****, it just shows that Atlantis isn't looked upon the same way as sg1, where they just cut off characters to make room for ones from a canceled show ffs.

They've made Atlantis into what i hoped it wouldn't become, a novelty by never giving the main characters time to properly establish on screen relationships but constantly reshuffling cast since season 1.

• Advertisement

Ill wait till Season 3 episode 20 to agree or disagree with you on that Venom.
    That episode and the responce it gets will decide atlantis for the next season

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I don't think Teyla ever worked. As a concept, it makes a kind of sense to have a liason with the alien cultures they encounter. They never properly exploited this and made it worse by having her constantly go on about "my people". Y'know it might be interesting if we ever saw the Althosians to talk about them (although given what we did see of them, it probably wouldn't be interesting...).
    Removing her would do no harm to the show.

Forde was written off a bit early. S1 didn't have much for him to do, but the injection of the wraith DNA could really have opened interesting avenues. Whilst it was fun seeing him race around the place, it could have been done more gradually over a season and given an interesting character arc. Missed opportunity.

Weir starring less... I go through phases of like/dislike with her. Giving her less screen time is no real harm as she's a bureaucrat. She doesn't really do that much that less time would make a difference. Her decisions can be made off screen. And yes, the episodes focusing around her have generally been clichéd and, less forgivably, kinda dull (still annoyed they wasted an RDA appearance on her!).

Beckett never 100% stuck with me as a member of the away team. Perhaps it was the non-consistent frequency of it in earlier episodes, but I just felt he belonged more in a Janet SG-1 mould, working better bouncing off the characters on base. Still his character would be the most missed.

Sam joining - I'm not on for this. As said above, the Rodney-loves-Samantha piece would get old quite quick. They also don't need her on the station. It doesn't make sense for the SGC to lose their top mind to a remote station where, arguably, they have their next greatest mind. Not as if Zelenka is an idiot either.
    I'm assuming it's because of contractual obligations, but seriously Jackson makes much MUCH more sense. He was looking forward to going to Atlantis for ages and he has a skill set that noone could replicate. The closest they ever got was Weir translating Ancient and if her role is reduced it makes even more sense to have Jackson pick up the slack. Change it writers - you know it's the correct decision!!

ixoy wrote:
    Weir starring less... I go through phases of like/dislike with her. Giving her less screen time is no real harm as she's a bureaucrat. She doesn't really do that much that less time would make a difference. Her decisions can be made off screen. And yes, the episodes focusing around her have generally been clichéd and, less forgivably, kinda dull (still annoyed they wasted an RDA appearance on her!).

"Before I Sleep" Was a very good episode, i enjoyed it and it was defiantly a Weir episode there was two of her FFS. I thought it was one of if not the best filler in season 1
    ixoy wrote:
    Beckett never 100% stuck with me as a member of the away team. Perhaps it was the non-consistent frequency of it in earlier episodes, but I just felt he belonged more in a Janet SG-1 mould, working better bouncing off the characters on base. Still his character would be the most missed.

Stargate do a good end to characters i like the way they ended him and i like the way they ended Janet.

Still tho no answer to my Q, why was becket killed off?

1.Spice up the show?
    2.He wanted to leave?
    3.He wanted more money?
    ixoy wrote:
    Sam joining - I'm not on for this. As said above, the Rodney-loves-Samantha piece would get old quite quick. They also don't need her on the station. It doesn't make sense for the SGC to lose their top mind to a remote station where, arguably, they have their next greatest mind. Not as if Zelenka is an idiot either.
    I'm assuming it's because of contractual obligations, but seriously Jackson makes much MUCH more sense. He was looking forward to going to Atlantis for ages and he has a skill set that noone could replicate. The closest they ever got was Weir translating Ancient and if her role is reduced it makes even more sense to have Jackson pick up the slack. Change it writers - you know it's the correct decision!!

Well actually this is just me assuming now besides the asguard Samantha knows more about the replicators than anyone else im sure she is there to deal with them, but as you said ixoy i do not want to see lots of samantha and rodney episodes.

It will be interesting to see how they make her character interact with the other SGA personell

SG1 Episode 11 - The Quest Part II
    Danial has been captured by the orasai

SG1 Episode 14 - The Shroud (Not "The line in the sand")
    Danial has been captured by the orasai and is now a prier himself

Venom wrote:
    Beckitt has been one of the main characters since the first episode tbh.

Beckitt's been as much of a main character as Fraiser was. She was practical, and was inpractically every episode. As was Beckitt. Then they promoted him and all of a sudden they have to write stories to specifically include him. Season 2 was full of moments where he was ridiculously out of place. He was out of place on the away team altogether. Now everyone is sick of him and he's being axed.
    The writers could of kept Ford around and used him as the straight man for Shepard unigue behaviour but instead went for the cheep jaffa clone.
    I liked Ford, he was original and was new to the Stargate universe. Added to the new dynamic. What they did to him in season 2 was interesting but ultimatly one dimensional, had he stuck around, he would essentially be what Ronin is. Now he's been kicked to the kerb.

I think Weir was also good and original, but poorly written for so they had to write her out.
    The other big problem with Atlantis is lack of a serious villian.
    I think the Wraith were very good. Very well put together. The whole 'defeating the Ancients' thing was a nice twist, but from the second they first cloaked Atlantis and the Wriath bought it, they lost all credibility.
    Then the Ori were introduced and the Wraith seem even less threatening.
    The Geni were good but might have been better off staying as enemies instead of becoming bum chums.
    And the replicators......well they're just pathetic.

I don't see myself liking the Carter thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

I never say the McKay / Carter relationship as a love triangle more a love hate relationship and remember McKay has changed somewhat since his time on SG-1 and as such i think the reactions between Carter and McKay will be different. Its hard enough to lose SG-1 a program which has been a constant for the past 10 years. I think a new lease of life can develop for Atlantis if Carter is assigned there and ensures that SG-1 fans will remain fans of the Stargate Franchise. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Beckitt's been as much of a main character as Fraiser was. She was practical, and was inpractically every episode. As was Beckitt. Then they promoted him and all of a sudden they have to write stories to specifically include him. Season 2 was full of moments where he was ridiculously out of place. He was out of place on the away team altogether. Now everyone is sick of him and he's being axed.

But that was the whole point, as he wasn't happy when off base being shot at and that added so much to his character. And as for your comment about people being sick of him I have to say most if not all of what Iv read about this episode and Atlantis over all, show people being unhappy about him being gone and Teyla/Ronan/Weir being the folks fans want gone from the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

i loved beckett, ronan's is growing on me a bit but taela seems just an extr in so many episodes :(

Venom wrote:
    But that was the whole point, as he wasn't happy when off base being shot at and that added so much to his character.
    But we already had those traits in Rodney.

When I said everyone, I meant the writers...I imagine it's gotten increasingly difficult to find ways to write him into every adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

yeah Tapping coming to Atlantis might'nt make sense SG1 film-wise either...like she'll just happen to pop up from Atlantis to join Sg1 in their latest mission ???

I always thaught that Beckett being an ACTUAL team member would've been great, teyla could easily be made a recurring character tbh, her character was never really fleshed out, and the whole relationship thing with the RDA clone and Ronin was dropped suddenly...

My ideal SGA1 team would be McKay, Beckett, Ronin, Clone-Boy :D just cause it'd be interesting tbh.

But he is a physician! There is no need for him to go anywhere.
    Imagine Fraiser going on missions with Sg-1!
    They shouldn't have axed Ford.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

But he is a physician! There is no need for him to go anywhere.
    I kind of agree with you here. He's a valuable resource, best utilised by being in a central location where he has access to all his equipment. Off-world he can at best dress some field wounds and then send someone back to Atlantis. He's not at his potential.
    Rodney, on the other hand, whilst also a valed resource has proven how vitally needed he is on away machines when encoutering alien tech.
    Imagine Fraiser going on missions with Sg-1!
    And look what happened to her when she ventured off world once too often ...

ixoy wrote:

And look what happened to her when she ventured off world once too often ...

Or just once....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I like Tayla and her whole otherworldly touch. And I like Ronan, though, mostly thats just to look at... they both are charachters with great potential.

As for losing Beckett, what a loss. He was a great charachter.

Dont mind if Weir goes, maybe it'll be Carter that replaces her... eh!

As for the Wraith not being a good enemy... you've got to be kidding me. They are as formidable, if not better than some of the SG1 enemies. Sadly there isnt much ongoing with them, but I'd say once the storyline/timeline is all working we should see some interesting things from SGA.

the wraith are a ok enemy but they have never been made the enemy i wanted them to be. not in enough episode and not relay included in the main story arc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Maybe the wraith will feature more.. after all they are waking up and feeding etc so are not a fully working society and are not united fully yet.

I lke Tayla, i think she is super hot! Anyway she is not just there to liase with them on her own people... she knows a lot of different worlds and "people" so she comes in handy. I hope they expand her telepathic abilies. Either that or if they do get rid of her then the wraith could turn her in to a spy.
    Not bothered about Becket and weir was ok but she was never strong enough.

Saruman wrote:
    Maybe the wraith will feature more.. after all they are waking up and feeding etc so are not a fully working society and are not united fully yet.

They will never unify there is not enough food. they are fighting a civil war over the remaining crops

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

User45701 wrote:
    the wraith are a ok enemy but they have never been made the enemy i wanted them to be. not in enough episode and not relay included in the main story arc

I agree. When the Wraith were first introduced I thought that they'd make great enemies. They wouldn't mind slaughtering a whole village just for the fun of it or to quell their hunger.Also they would have looked at humans as a sub-species (or as prey) which would allow them to be even more evil than the Gou'ld.

However that hasn't been the case (for the most part) Especially at the end of season 2 where the Wraith were in a mock alliance with Atlantis. If they were the Wraith I had thought they would be, they wouldn't have entertained even talking to their dinner. Also the Wraith worshippers, wft :confused: If there was soo little "food" around, why would the wraith let some of their potential food live??

Slightly off point but IMO of all the enemies in either Atlantis or SG1, the Gou'ld win hands down. At least they had a bit of charisma.

Wraith were awesome...untill the Siege part 3.

Kojak wrote:

Slightly off point but IMO of all the enemies in either Atlantis or SG1, the Gou'ld win hands down. At least they had a bit of charisma.

have to agree with you there my fav is apophis but i do love sokar and cronos anubis was good aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Getting rid of beckett is a mistake, even though he's not quite a main character he still had one of the best fleshed out personalities in SGA, second only to Rodney's imo.

Wier meh - shocking waste by the writers.

Ronan - hasnt had anything to do since that episode when the wraith caught him. Bin him instead of beckett.

Tayla - again underused like Wier. Could have been/be good. Anyone get the feeling that the writers just cant manage good female parts? The only decent one was that one that Rodney shared brains with.

Carter - huge mistake storywise too much crossover with Rodney.

Wraith - wasted right now. Michael/Trip had possibilties, probably too expensive for a whole series though.

Ancient Replicators - Píss Poor. Feeble versions of the other ones - Even though they are more advanced!!

Ancients/lanteans - would have liked to see a story arc with the lanteans from the Starship that the replicators wiped out. A conflict with a ship full of them VS Atlantis the city would have been good.

In short I expect SGA season 4 to be a nosedive from the not so heady heights of this one. Expect it to be cancelled before the end of Season 4.

Advertisement