Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long Did yer Build take?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

Great thread, one thing I found hard, getting a rough idea of prices before submitting for planning. Going timber frame and high insulation etc. Going to apply for planning in next couple of weeks.

kardarie wrote: »
    Well the house itself came in at just under 100k fully finished. Spent another couple of €k on furnishing it. Kept costs so low as we done almost everything our selves apart from electrictian, plumber, blocklayer and plastering. TBH we spend days and nights working on the house. We prob would of kept the price even lower but decided to surround the property with a block wall. Sorry to seem stupid but what to ya mean what kind spec?

Kardarie, wouldn't mind knowing your timber frame company also.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Great thread, one thing I found hard, getting a rough idea of prices before submitting for planning.
    If its the price of plans etc then go into the front page of the Construction & planning forum and just above the list of threads you will see a tab "Search this forum". Click on that and enter something like "architects fees" or "cost of plans" or "planning fees" and you will find a good few threads on that topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

muffler wrote: »
    If its the price of plans etc then go into the front page of the Construction & planning forum and just above the list of threads you will see a tab "Search this forum". Click on that and enter something like "architects fees" or "cost of plans" or "planning fees" and you will find a good few threads on that topic.

Thanks Muffler,
    It is more the problem of designing a house and getting planning permission, then you get it costed and realise that you can't afford to build the house you now have planning granted for.

My sister had to reduce size of house and resubmit planning as they could afford the house they had planning for. This was in the North where it took a couple of years to get the initial planning passed. They then had a QS price the job and he included a few grand for the stairs! In a bungalow!

I'm not connected to the trades at all and no family or friends either so hard to get an informal quote. You hear prices per sqft for block but the range is mad. As for timber frame I think it’s even harder. If you want to go timber frame + direct labour it’s even harder to get that initial price range I think.
    Going timber frame myself and will be posting a lot more questions as planning should be going in couple of weeks.

Thanks Muffler,
    It is more the problem of designing a house and getting planning permission, then you get it costed and realise that you can't afford to build the house you now have planning granted for.

My sister had to reduce size of house and resubmit planning as they could afford the house they had planning for. This was in the North where it took a couple of years to get the initial planning passed. They then had a QS price the job and he included a few grand for the stairs! In a bungalow!

I'm not connected to the trades at all and no family or friends either so hard to get an informal quote. You hear prices per sqft for block but the range is mad. As for timber frame I think it’s even harder. If you want to go timber frame + direct labour it’s even harder to get that initial price range I think.
    Going timber frame myself and will be posting a lot more questions as planning should be going in couple of weeks.
    Your agent should be in a position to give you a reasonably accurate estimate of the cost to build. Things like bathroom suites, kitchen units, landscaping etc can vary immensely though depending on the individual's requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

Project : Cottage Refurb w/ new extension
    Build type : Contractor
    House Size: 160sqm (1700sqft)2 Storey
    Construction method :Timber Frame (Extension) Stone (Existing Cottage)
    Planning process length: 6 weeks
    Start date: May 2009
    Finish date: May 2010
    Months to complete: 12 months (Programme was 6 months)
    Elements of Build : UF heating to GF, Rads to FF, DHW Solar, DG AluClad windows, Oak & Walnut Joinery throughout, Sandstone finish to GF, LPG Gas, New ESB Connection (was past 2yr disconnection point), Cedar Cladding/Cement Board to extension, Lime render w/ limewash to cottage, Cottage was completely gutted apart from external walls - new GF slab, new roof, new FF floor
    Cost : €97/sqft - This is for turnkey finish (Kitchen, Joinery, Sanitaryware, Painting/Decorating, Tiling, ESB, Flogas etc) , builders finish was coming in at €74/sqft
    Apart from the 7893 excuses for the delay we're pretty happy with the end result. House is super warm with plenty of hot water from the sun. I'm an AT and if I was doing it again I would go direct labour and manage the build myself. No blog or anything but here are a few images of the finished product:

DSCF2038.jpg

DSCF2025.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cavan47

Thanks to all who posted on this thread, some great info there.

I'm hopefully starting a self-build in a couple of years, so I was interested in trying to get an estimate of costs. I calculated an average from the posts which people gave, so I just thought it might be informative to share the results-

1) for all 29 posts- all build types (cavity or timber frame) and labour types (direct labour or contractor)-
    Average build size- 3,051 sq foot
    Average build cost - €90 per sq foot

2) And as I'm building with cavity block & direct labour, and between 2700 and 3300 sq foot, I averaged the 11 posts which match this criteria-
    Average build size - 2,931 sq foot
    Average build cost - € 73 per sq. foot

I hope this is helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Brookie123

I'm starting a house in the next few weeks. It's 2300sq ft and hoping to get it built and furnished for €170,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Here are the details for the house we just moved into last October.
    There are some small items to finish out, like landscaping, etc.

House Size: 320m2 (3444 ft2), 2 story
    Build Type: Timber Frame, + Direct labour
    Planning Time: Oct 08 - April 09.
    Build Time:
    Broke Ground May 09
    Foundations complete: August 09
    Frame up Sept 09 (1.5 weeks after arrival to site!)
    Outside Finished Feb 10 (bad winter delayed plastering/roofing)
    Move in Oct 10 (UFH had to be ripped up and re-done)
    Total 17 months!

Budget:
    Estimate: 200-220k
    Final: 245k
    Builders Finish: 60/sqft
    Full Finish: 75/sqft

Budget Breakdown: (not as well tracked/updated towards the end, but figures are mostly right!)
    Planning 13961 (engineer, LA fees, perc test, architect, etc)
    Foundations 19899 (blocks, labour, insulation, concrete)
    Frame 63700 (timber frame + insulation)
    Roof 12500 (slates, lead, labour)
    Windows 26000 (windows and external doors)
    Heating 9330 (oil boiler, solar, MHRV, etc)
    Plumbing 11960 (all sanitary ware, fitting, general plumbing, UFH)
    Electrical 11080 (electrical fitting, home automation system)
    Plaster 7800 (interior plastering, slabbing was part of frame)
    Cladding 13865 (blocks, exterior plastering, etc)
    Interior 49960 (kitchen, stairs, interior doors, labour, tiles, etc)
    Other 10385 (shed, alarm install, septic, fireplaces, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Katz83

kardarie wrote: »
    Build type: Direct Labour
    House Size: 2,700 sq. ft.
    Construction method: Timberframe
    Planning process length: 8 weeks
    Months to complete: 4 months from site clearance to moving in.
    % over or under budget: Spot on budget, but went slighty over on furnishings.
    Price per ft2: approx. €50.

Hi can i ask who did your house for you. That seems very reasonable. did you get a timber frame company. What kind of heating system do you have. Etc. We waiting for planning and i am still in between block and timber frame All i know is i want a warm house and have it up as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Build type: Direct-labour

House Size: 350m2

Construction method: Cavity, 100mm cavity insulation plus 60mm insulated slabs

Planning process length: 8 weeks

Start date: March 2010

Finish date: December 2010

Months to complete: 9 months

Lessons Learned: Haggle with everyone & always pay cash where possible for best prices!

% over or under budget: -10%

Price per ft2: €68 - fully finished and furnished. Includes €10k site cost, €10.5k council contribution, landscaping. Price to builder's finish was approx €50 per ft2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

tails_naf wrote: »
    Here are the details for the house we just moved into last October.

Budget Breakdown: (not as well tracked/updated towards the end, but figures are mostly right!)
    Planning 13961 (engineer, LA fees, perc test, architect, etc)
    Foundations 19899 (blocks, labour, insulation, concrete)
    Frame 63700 (timber frame + insulation)
    Roof 12500 (slates, lead, labour)
    Windows 26000 (windows and external doors)
    Heating 9330 (oil boiler, solar, MHRV, etc)
    Plumbing 11960 (all sanitary ware, fitting, general plumbing, UFH)
    Electrical 11080 (electrical fitting, home automation system)
    Plaster 7800 (interior plastering, slabbing was part of frame)
    Cladding 13865 (blocks, exterior plastering, etc)
    Interior 49960 (kitchen, stairs, interior doors, labour, tiles, etc)
    Other 10385 (shed, alarm install, septic, fireplaces, etc)

Just wondering was that a typo for the planning fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Build type : Contractor for most of it, done heating, electrical, plumbing, ventilation myself
    House Size: 1800 sq feet bungalow, with access left for second floor for refurbishment later, garage base and floor done only
    Construction method : 200mm Cavity pump filled, 6" block inner leaf, MHRV, UFH, Air tightness system, Air-to-Water Heat Pump
    Planning process length: bought site with full planning
    Start date: March 2010
    Finish date: May 2011 hopefully
    Months to complete: 14 months i hope
    Lessons Learned and advice: Dont be afraid to ask any questions no matter how stupid they sound, and a good contractor is half the battle, have a good budget and time frame plan set out, it will really help

Price per sq.ft - approximately €120 per sq. ft, which includes house liveable ( 1 bathroom, kitchen, living room, bedroom finished ), site cost, council fees, BER, ATT, area contributions, solicitor, engineer, water, ESB connections, sewerage, garage to floor level etc.....

Looking forward to moving in
    JB

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

kizzyf wrote: »
    Just wondering was that a typo for the planning fees?

I doubt it. Meath County council fees for me are €14k despite my own sewage treatment system, own well and entrance onto a private lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

wclarke20 wrote: »
    I doubt it. Meath County council fees for me are €14k despite my own sewage treatment system, own well and entrance onto a private lane.

Ouch.

Westmeath Co. Co. didn't charge me anything (own well, own waste treatment, existing driveway in place) so the whole testing and planning process came in just under €3k.

The thread title is "How Long Did yer Build take?"

Can we all get back on topic again please.

Cheers

Sorry about that.

As I posted on Live builds last night it took 7w3d to get from the first block in the rising walls to wind and water tight. We were delayed for about a week overall because of weather (freezing in January, wind in February).

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Second fix electrics done, cert going in tomorrow,

Anyone know what the expected wait time on the ESB is to get connected up?

Thanks
    Jb

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭awnow

5 or 6 days should do it. My advice, keep chasing them if you're in a panic. No harm. :)

10w3d from the first block and the plastering is finished and dry and the 2nd fix electrics are done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Project : Story 3/4 Dormer.
    Build type : Direct Labour
    House Size: (2780sqft)
    Garage: 500 sqft
    Construction method : Cavity Wall/Raft/Dry lined, air tight, with demand controlled ventilation system.
    Planning process length: 5 years!!!
    Start date: feb 2010
    Finish date: October 2011
    Months to complete: 18 months (Programme was 6 months)
    Elements of Build : Turnkey kitchen tiles/stone wall front and house grounds work complete bar kerbing
    Cost : €85/sqft for everything.

I didnt include the 8 grand development fee or the 4 grand for the extra fill needed aroudn the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

hi tred,
    <snip>

jocotty banned for 2 weeks for ignoring on-thread warning and dragging thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I have deleter some off-topic posts,

If a post is off topic please don't respond to it, just report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PKD

ammmm, are we not talking about the price to build a house? see origional query - includes "price per square foot"?

one woman here is talking about the price of her curtains??!!!

Surely everything is relevant here - and not just a figure for the price per square foot??? there are numerous variations per house - design, num of windows, foundation type - etc. all change the price - which is the origional question, and which should be discussed if they have a major influence and provide guidance.

i saw jocotty's queries on the foundation type, and thought them to be very relevant - a lot more relevant then a lot of whats being discussed throughout the tread!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Please stay on-topic, infraction given.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PKD

Sorry lads, but have a read of the opening tread:

the topic is :

"
    Lots of self-builders on here so as i'm currently starting the blocks on a new build i thought it'd be interesting to see how long builds took all folk on here?
    Maybe if we could start a list broken down like this it might be useful for others!:

Build type (direct-labour, contractor, etc):
    House Size:
    Construction method (Cavity, Timberframe):
    Planning process length:
    Start date:
    Finish (or expected) finish date:
    Months to complete:
    Lessons Learned:
    % over or under budget:
    Price per ft2:

There may be additional information that would be helpful for people, feel free to add to this if you wish!

the question should cover every part of house building, no?

PKD banned for 2 weeks for derailing thread and ignoring a moderators instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aghbren

Project : Story 3/4 Dormer.
    Build type : Direct Labour
    House Size: 2300sq controlled ventilation system.
    Construction method : block on flat external insulation
    Planning process length:2 years mostly time spent on figuring out design/buid type
    Start date: jan 2011
    Finish date: October 2011, well moved in then but will finish off gradually
    Months to complete: 9 months to livable
    Elements of Build :passiv haus standard insulation and air tightness, compact unit, windows.
    Cost : €90/sqft for so far excluding site and kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 45 blue star

Hi all just found thisforum!! Myself andmy partner are putting in plans to buils 1800sqft house..any advice in this current climate would bevery greatful. :-) :-) :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I have deleter some off-topic posts,

If a post is off topic please don't respond to it, just report it.
    blue star wrote: »
    Hi all just found thisforum!! Myself andmy partner are putting in plans to buils 1800sqft house..any advice in this current climate would bevery greatful. :-) :-) :-)

Hi & welcome please open a new thread and try to ask a more specific question. perhaps read some threads, you'll find there is a lot of knowledge in the C&p forum.

Advertisement