Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long Did yer Build take?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

Hi lads,
    Our contractor started our house on 13th May and yesterday began the rafters for the roof, thats just over 4 months down
    he told us it would take 9 months but we are hoping he will be finished before that
    2800sq ft concrete built house with ufh, and plaster finish to front
    Cant believe how fast it happens!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

Build type; direct-labour
    House Size: 2700 sq ft
    Construction method; Cavity
    Planning process length:6 months
    Construction Start date:15 september 2007
    Finish (or expected) finish date:moved into house on the 20th september 2008
    Months to complete:12 + 8 days
    Lessons Learned: never get friends/family to do anywork on house and dont leave vital decisions to the last minute
    % over or under budget: about 5k over budget but orignal budget was very loose and did not include all the funiture
    Price per ft2:80 euro and that is ready to live in with all major rooms fully finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Build type direct labour -
    House Size:2250 sq ft
    Construction method: Block
    Planning process length: 6 months
    Start date: Sept 07
    Finish : Good question. Moving in 31st October
    Months to complete:13 months
    Lessons Learned: Keep an eye on tradesmen and get on to them if they dont turn up.

% over or under budget: Had hoped to build it for 280,000 but its running at 300,000. That includes site price, garage, boundary wall (unstoned) and all gardens, kerbing and patio decking. And everything finished inside!

Price per ft2: €133

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scanner1

Build type direct labour -
    House Size:2250 sq ft
    Construction method: Block
    Planning process length: 6 months
    Start date: Sept 07
    Finish : Good question. Moving in 31st October
    Months to complete:13 months
    Lessons Learned: Keep an eye on tradesmen and get on to them if they dont turn up.

% over or under budget: Had hoped to build it for 280,000 but its running at 300,000. That includes site price, garage, boundary wall (unstoned) and all gardens, kerbing and patio decking. And everything finished inside!

Price per ft2: €133

whitelightrider, What would the proce per ft2 been without the site? If you don't mind me asking :o

scanner1 wrote: »
    whitelightrider, What would the proce per ft2 been without the site? If you don't mind me asking :o

Hey scanner1. Site plus fee cost approx 80k. Thats makes the build work out at 220,000. Works out at about €97 per sq ft.
    We couldve gone for cheaper stuff in the house but we didnt. Oak kitchen underfloor heating, solid oak skirting and architrave and window boards, good insulation, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Slates

Currently slating the roof of the House(251m²) and Garage(56m²), doing lots of the work myself, current spent to this point 77K and down 1 stone weight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scanner1

Hey scanner1. Site plus fee cost approx 80k. Thats makes the build work out at 220,000. Works out at about €97 per sq ft.
    We couldve gone for cheaper stuff in the house but we didnt. Oak kitchen underfloor heating, solid oak skirting and architrave and window boards, good insulation, etc.

Cheers whitelightrider, just wanted to check out build costs compared to my estimates (high spec got €98 per sq ft :D & always added 15% to estimate to give buffer.) hopefully foundation going down week after next. 2500 Sq ft story and half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Build type General contractor
    House Size: 135 sq m approx 1500 sq.ft 1.5 storey
    Construction method: Block,timber windows, Tegral slating,60 mm polyiso insulation, solar panel, oil heating,plastered walls, good quality finishes, simple construction
    Planning process length: 9 months approx.
    Costs ( approx)
    Main Contractor €175,000
    Painter €6000
    Solar heating €5000
    Kitchen €9000 incl fittings (cooker fridge etc)
    Tiling €3500
    Start date: Sept 06
    Finish : june/july 07
    Months to complete:11 months.
    extra costs :solicitor,architect, site.
    Lessons Learned: Contractors background is in carpentry, on advice we were told carpenters turned contractors are best, good knowledge and careful attention to detail.Certainly proved true in our case. Excellent young builders and very pleasant to deal with.No, I wont divulge their name. Architect friend designed house but my husband searched for builder. Architect friend was surprised to hear we managed to get them as other architects had recommended them and they were hard to get.Befor employing them they were delighted to show us examples of their work,drove us in their van. Obvious they were keen and proud of thier work, but not cocky.Good relationship from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Hi

I don't know if this is the right place for this but when you calculate the build cost of an extension do you calculate using the area of the extension or the area of the original space plus extension??

Thanks

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

mikep wrote: »
    Hi

I don't know if this is the right place for this but when you calculate the build cost of an extension do you calculate using the area of the extension or the area of the original space plus extension??

Thanks

Mike
    Just the extension.

• Advertisement

Well we finally moved into the new house. 409 days after ground was broken at the site. Started 17 September 2007, moved in 31st October 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well we finally moved into the new house. 409 days after ground was broken at the site. Started 17 September 2007, moved in 31st October 2008.
    Well done. Im sure you are delighted that its all over and that you can put your feet up now :)

Now what about the house warming party?

muffler wrote: »
    Well done. Im sure you are delighted that its all over and that you can put your feet up now :)

Now what about the house warming party?

Feet up? I wish! My good wife has been spotting things that need touching up straight away!!! Ill be spending the next week painting walls that got marked and ceilings where lights were put up!!!

This site has been an unreal help to me in building the house. In getting advice on prices to whats better heating wise. I know our house wouldnt be built as good as it is if I didnt get the advice from the people here on boards. Anyone around Monivea in Galway anytime youre welcome to call in to visit us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 odonoso

Build type (direct-labour, contractor, etc): Direct Labour
    House Size: 2800 sqFeet + double garge
    Construction method Cavity
    Planning process length: 3 months
    Start date: July 07
    Finish date: Feb 2009, excluding landscaping
    Months to complete:18 months
    Lessons Learned: Most things take longer & are harder than you think!
    % over or under budget: +40%
    Price per ft2: €100, including Heatpump solar panel and finish all room excluding landscaping and wind turbine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

this is a great thread alot of usefull info in here for the homebuilder one observation i would make people should mention where they are building the house as price per sqft seem to vary alot obviously dublin would be dearer than a rural location and this could be a good guide for other prospective builders;)
    cheers
    colm

lucky-colm wrote: »
    this is a great thread alot of usefull info in here for the homebuilder one observation i would make people should mention where they are building the house as price per sqft seem to vary alot obviously dublin would be dearer than a rural location and this could be a good guide for other prospective builders;)
    cheers
    colm
    Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

Hello
    great information here.

Please excuse my ignorance but we're hoping to apply for planning later this month for a 2000 sq ft 2 storey timber frame home.

Haven't finally decided which timber frame co to use but I'd like to know how realistic the information on their websites is about build times. Our budget is very tight so once we have electricity and a working toilet we need to be in.
    What's realistic

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sandy09

dont know if this is the right place to post this (sorry if its not)....just wondering if you go with a timberframe company can i give them the house plan i want and not have to pick one of theirs?

sandy09 wrote: »
    dont know if this is the right place to post this (sorry if its not)
    Its not but we will let you go this once. :)
    sandy09 wrote: »
    just wondering if you go with a timberframe company can i give them the house plan i want and not have to pick one of theirs?
    You can take your own plan to them and they will price from it and if they get the contract they will redraw (same house) to suit their construction methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sandy09

ok thanks muffler. I'll get the hang of these threads yet. thanks :D:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Just wondering, when people here are talking about €XX per ft2 is that per ft2 of floor space or footprint?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kricket

Footprint area ( l x w ) x price, ie house size 70' x 30' = 2,100 sq2 x 100 euro's per square foot = € 210,000.00 builders finish price example only .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kricket

Sorry, I must amend last statement , all habital sq2, last example was a bungalow if its a two story you also count upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gummibear

Build type : Contractor
    House Size: 2700 sq feet 5 bed dormer plus garage
    Construction method :Cavity
    Planning process length: 8 weeks
    Start date: June 12th 2008
    Finish date: June 12th 2009 (fingers crossed and looking 99.9% likely)
    Months to complete: 12 months
    LPG Underfloor Heating. High Specinsulation in cavity and on internal surface of external walls and roof.
    semi-solid Oak floors. Oak kitchen.
    Lessons Learned and advice: Don't be afraid to tackle tiling, flooring and painting if you have a reasonable level of DIY abilities and common sense.
    Boards.ie will answer most of your questions.
    Expect small hiccups but accept nothing less than you ask for!
    More important than a good contractor is to ensure he has good people working for him. the head man on our build was fantastic and took great pride in his work!
    Cost per sq. ft.: coming in just over €90. up to builders finish.
    and now... HAPPY DAYS

Well done gummibear. We'll all be there for the housewarming on the 12th :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dmullally

A lot of very useful info here will come in very handy while building just bought the land so may take a while to update here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Build type: Project manager
    House Size: 2,700sq feet + 500 sq foot garage
    Construction method: Block and Natural stone outer leaf
    Planning process length: 7 months from first meeting with engineer to planning granted
    Start date: end of April 09
    Finish : Moved in 16th November 09, still a couple weeks work to be done
    Months to complete:7 months
    Lessons Learned: Haggle with everyone, complain about anything that's not exactly as it should be, shop around for everything, listen to everyone's advice but make up your own mind
    % over or under budget: It'll be about 10% over mainly due to doing a raft foundation and some extra work that we didn't originally want

Price per ft2: €106 ish.. includes kitchen, furniture, electrics, alarm.

Well done RunForestRun and good advice offered also. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

2950 sqft
    Meath
    Contractor
    Block and natural stoune
    4 months 3 weeks in and inside plastering will be finished this week.
    Inside work to be done:
    2nd fix - Elec, Plumb, Carpent.
    Painting
    Kitchen
    Flooring
    Stairs

Outside work to be completed:
    Garage, groundwork, piping of ditch, ESB duct.
    Painting

Anyone want to hazard a guess at when we'll be in??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ModestMouse

Build type : Direct Labour
    House Size: 3000 sq feet 5 bed 1.5 storey plus garage
    Construction method :Cavity
    Planning process length: 12 weeks
    Start date: October 2008
    Finish date: 31st January 2010 (hopefully, with EVERYTHING finished)
    Months to complete: 15 months
    Air to water heat pump with Underfloor Heating. Insulation to approx A3 energy rating.
    Second fix plumbing, carpentry to be done, about to start tiling.
    Lessons Learned and advice:
    Don't feel shy about haggling and price things in plenty of time so you're not forced to accept a high price. Don't be intimidated by pushy salespeople. Ask lots of questions. Be clear about the standard you expect from trades i.e. nothing less than perfect; and never pay full amount until everything is finished as agreed. Go with your gut instinct and you'll have no regrets.
    Cost per sq. ft.: approx. €85 to builders finish, approx €105 fully finished...at the most i hope.

Advertisement