Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mairead Farrell On the Panel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Hrududu wrote:
    At one point I turned over to see them all guffawing over a girl who couldnt go on a ride at Funderland because she was too heavy. Seriously, they went on and on about it. They were behaving exactly like the people The Panel usually makes fun of.

Yeah I thought this was pretty tasteless i have to say. Usually they would direct their ridicule at bizarre stuff in foreign countries or politicians maybe.
    But there was a good chance that girl (only sixteen) was watching the show and so were a lot of her school mates I'd guess. It did seem a bit irresponsible and maybe not the kind of thing that Daire O'Briain would have raised, or at least, allowed to run for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Jason byrne is one of the worst comedians around All he does is shout and talk in a dublin womans accent, He should be put down.

Dara o briain is a genius his dvd is the best stand up ive seen and he keeps the panal structured

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Mairead Farrell has the potential to be funny, if she dropped the attitude and that "I am cool" shrank on her face

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'd rather see an ugly woman sit there and say nothing than a hot one attempt to butt in and take away valuable delamere or maxwell joke time.

while I wouldn't call MF hot, I agree with that. Oh dear. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Maeve Higgins - from naked camera, would be perfect for the show.
    Did you see her on Tubridy Tonight?
    She had everyone in stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Don't agree The Panel is essentially a topical driven show. Higgins' meandering routine although funny at times would disrupt the momentum of the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 plugitplayit

I think Maeve Higgins would be best of a bad bunch.
    Dara needs to host the show, Colin Murphy is very good with his drop in comments and off the back of other peoples comments. Dellamare for me saves the show week in week out. Has anybody been to see if live? I've been about 4 times this year and have to say it was much funnier live.

Andrew Maxwell seemingly very difficult to deal with. And for some reason the producer loves Ed Byrne. I would hazard a guess that Ed has been paid to appear on X amount of shows this year and while he is not funny that may have to have him on.

I was at one last year where there was a drunk dude in the audience and every time Fiona Looney said anything he booed her. Cruel, cringeworthy but very very funny.

I think Jason Byrne just isn't funny - stop shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Dellamare for me saves the show week in week out.
    I totally agree. He has been consistantly funny any time I have seen him on it. There was one week where Maxwell and Ed Byrne were late for the show. So instead of putting Neil on the panel they brought him out as kind of a replacement until the other 2 got there. He stayed on when they did arrive, but the way he was brought on seemed to suggest that he was by no means their first choice and was only there because the other two couldnt be.

I didnt see enough of Karl Spain the other night to know if he would be a good regular. I'm not a fan of Jason Byrne though.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

I was at the panel in bray last Sunday night and i thought it was brilliant. Jason Byrne took over the show and had the audience in stitches for most of the episode. But then Rte edit it and u see mostly colin and more of Mairead than Jason when in fact jason contribuited a lot more to the 2 hours the live show ran. It was very funny in the start colin had to do the introduction 3 times as he kept feckin up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 plugitplayit

Yeah I was at that one out in Blanchardstown. Was pretty funny alright. He is just classic for the smart quip one liners. I saw him up in DCU a couple of years ago, he went there and he was hilarious. I've met him a few times and unlike most comedians he actually comes across as normal.

I think Maxwell is quite funny, he is from Donaghmede and plays the whole north Dub thing well. Very funny that week when the water in a lot of areas of North Dublin was gone except in Coolock and he said it is because God is from Coolock...

Those comedians on the Panel obviously pay attention to what is happening in the news etc and the research team basically pick out what they are going to talk about on the day. Then all the notes are given to the panellists who try and come up with funny material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Hmm, I seem to be one of the few people that likes Ed Byrne. Last night suffered for the lack of Dara, Ed and Andrew because for me they are the best 3.
    Agreed. Have you seen Ed Byrne's DVD? Couldn't stop laughing throughout. The Panel definitely isn't as good without Dara or Ed. Andrew Maxwell can come up with some funny stuff when it comes to reacting to the other guests, which compensates for the fact that he's not funny in stand-up. I'd love to see Dylan Moran on The Panel too and hope Jason Byrne doesn't return. Can't stand that guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

I was at one last year where there was a drunk dude in the audience and every time Fiona Looney said anything he booed her. Cruel, cringeworthy but very very funny.

Was that the famous one with Joe Duffy way back when the show used to be live? That was funny... I remember the look on Dara's face when the guy was about to be removed, which he referred to as "a small amount of surgery."

Anyway, where was I... Dylan Moran might not be good as a panellist but by all means if they can give Pauline McLynn a go then he's earned a try. Keep Dara, Neil and Colin, one of the others can take the week off. Derval O'Rourke, as has been mentioned elsewhere on Boards, was really good the week she was on. She's funny but not pushy. Of course she does have other commitments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Hrududu wrote:
    God it was awful last night. Anytime I've seen it where DOB wasnt presenting its been a train wreck. Mairead is terrible, she does read off all the "funny" things she's thought up. At one point I turned over to see them all guffawing over a girl who couldnt go on a ride at Funderland because she was too heavy. Seriously, they went on and on about it. They were behaving exactly like the people The Panel usually makes fun of.

I couldn't believe this! These alleged stand up comedians completely missing the connection between a pregnant woman going on a ride called "The Terminator". Instead they went for "LOL SHES FAT HER BOOBIES WOULD BE FLOPPING ALL OVER THE PLACE LOL"

Awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I couldn't believe this! These alleged stand up comedians completely missing the connection between a pregnant woman going on a ride called "The Terminator". Instead they went for "LOL SHES FAT HER BOOBIES WOULD BE FLOPPING ALL OVER THE PLACE LOL"

Awful.

AFAIK she wasn't pregnant just too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Awful.
    Yeah, she wasn't pregnant she was just a salad dodger. And 16 too, so only a kid. Not that being 16 ever stopped anyone from getting pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Steve01 wrote:
    Agreed. Have you seen Ed Byrne's DVD? Couldn't stop laughing throughout. The Panel definitely isn't as good without Dara or Ed. Andrew Maxwell can come up with some funny stuff when it comes to reacting to the other guests, which compensates for the fact that he's not funny in stand-up. I'd love to see Dylan Moran on The Panel too and hope Jason Byrne doesn't return. Can't stand that guy
    Ed Byrne lost all his comic powers when he got his hair cut the first time. He's totally unfunny nowadays and is only good at starting a joke/topic attempting to make something funny out of it, failing but setting it up nicely for the rest of the guys to finish off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The best lineup is Dara O B, Neil Delamere, Andrew Maxwell, Colin Murphy and Mairead Farrell. She at times can crack a joke, she can say something stupid and get jumped on by fellow panelists...plus she aint that bad looking either. Best female we have, and the panel would just be weird without a lady me thinks. Someone to take the piss out of, to have a different point of view (cas lets face it all women have a different point of view to men whatever the case may be)

Deirdre Kane as said failed in the Panel set big time. That one off Naked Camera wouldnt fit in in my opinion. Her remarks about slitting rists and her sister on Turbidy were taky and just plain shít IMO. There are better comedians of a similar style on the panel already.

I dont really like Jason or Ed Byrne but recently they've been decent on the panel. Karl Spain doesnt fit in there, though he slightly improved from his first show the other night.

As for female comedians, we just dont have them. So lets stick to the pretty, outgoing, Ive been on radio/tv before chick...thats all we can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i don't know. i watched it last night and thought it was funny. granted Mairead Farrell wasnt funny but excluding her it was a good show

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Should RTE and comedy ever appear in the same sentence ?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

UrbanFox wrote:
    Should RTE and comedy ever appear in the same sentence ?:confused:

Absolutely. Check 'oxymoron' in a dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Nightwish wrote:
    I agree, as a female, that they should drop the female panellist (and Ed Byrne). I think it must be a scientific fact at this stage that women (and Ed Byrne) cannot be funny. I'd love it if it were Dara, Colin, Jason Byrne, Andrew Maxwell and Neil Delamere every week.
    i agree except id replace jason byrne with des bishop or karl spain cant sand that jason byrne
    colin murphy and neil delamere work well together they were on that programme on the bbc the blame gamewhich wasnt as good as the panel but was watchable because they were in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Nightwish wrote:
    I agree, as a female, that they should drop the female panellist (and Ed Byrne). I think it must be a scientific fact at this stage that women (and Ed Byrne) cannot be funny. I'd love it if it were Dara, Colin, Jason Byrne, Andrew Maxwell and Neil Delamere every week.
    i agree except id replace jason byrne with des bishop or karl spain cant sand that jason byrne
    colin murphy and neil delamere work well together they were on that programme on the bbc the blame gamewhich wasnt as good as the panel but was watchable because they were in it they had ed byrne on it once and he was like a fish out of water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Why would Des Bishop be appearing on an alleged comedy program?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

sprinkles wrote:
    Ed Byrne lost all his comic powers when he got his hair cut the first time. He's totally unfunny nowadays and is only good at starting a joke/topic attempting to make something funny out of it, failing but setting it up nicely for the rest of the guys to finish off.
    You said it. He's like the Samson of comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

well - maybe he could tell us what it was like coming to Ireland. I've often wondered if he had any anecdotes on that subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

tbh wrote:
    well - maybe he could tell us what it was like coming to Ireland. I've often wondered if he had any anecdotes on that subject.
    lol. Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

I think it's generally agreed she is the least funny person on the panel, but at the same time, it will be very hard to have a lineup which everyone thinks is universally funny.

Personally I think shes the type of girl you'd like to head out drinking with or end up at a party with because shes semi funny and fairly good looking. This in itself is a rarity.

I say, get someone out talent spotting for a better looking funnier gal, until then we should probably lay off her.

EDIT....woohoo 100 posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

alleged? i think it is a funny show

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I actually turned off Monday night's show. For the first time in history, I just didn't find anything in it funny 10 minutes in, so I turned it off.

I cannot stand Karl Spain. He's just revolting. I mean, I can barely stand to look at him, never mind be subjected to 45 minutes of him attempting to be funny. He also looks like he's a grumpy git in real life, which puts me off.

I agree that the show really lacks something without Dara. Colin tries, and does a good enough job, but it really needs Dara to keep it on track.

Mairead Farrell is less offensive to me than Fiona Looney or Katherine Thomas, so I don't mind her.

There was a time, long ago, when I wouldn't be able to breathe for laughing at Ed Byrne, but it's not that way any more. Now I just cringe (and really wish that he'd get his teeth bleached, but that's just me).

Advertisement