Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 S-LINE 1.9Tdi

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I know that Bazz... I traded it for a new GTI.

I realise that in reality, I probably got closer to 24 - 24.5K for it. But I also know its not easy (in fact its very difficult unless you're lucky) to shift cars in this price bracket privately. I may try it, but unless I was to get 25K-ish for it, it wouldn't be worth my while...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Bit of A4 bashing going on here but the current design is getting on in years & is not going to match the 3 series...

I've read that the next-gen A4 will have the engine placed behind the rear wheels to improve dynamics. RWD of 3-series probably still nicer in higher-power versions.

See http://www.automobilemag.com/future_cars/2008/0609_2009_audi_a4/

Where the A4 scores massively over the 3 though is in looks. The saloon 3-series is a minger & the coupe is no beaut either. Also Audi interiors are much nicer IMO.

The 1.9TDI is past it's sell-by-date in the Golf class & certainly has no place in an Audi. VAG often put unsuitable/under-powered engines in their base models from each range.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Biro wrote:
    3-series must be one of the most over-rated cars on the road. There is nothing special about the handling, granted it's a nice bit ahead of the A4, which is just an A-to-B machine

So you say it's better than the A4 and we've established it costs the same. Which car is overrated by that logic?
    pburns wrote:
    VAG often put unsuitable/under-powered engines in their base models from each range.

Those base engine models turn out to be the big sellers in Ireland! VAG is doing something right, well, commercially :)

unkel wrote:
    Those base engine models turn out to be the big sellers in Ireland! VAG is doing something right, well, commercially :)

Can't argue with that really...
    It's the spoilsport VRT. I really think I'd like to see carbon taxing (as is proposed for '08 AFAIK). I know bigger engines will be penalised but it will hopefully do away with the stupid system whereby cars above a certain cut-off point are penalised. There are a lot of REALLY good diesels just over the 1.9/2.0 mark that we are fleeced for in this country.

I just think a 1.9TDI in something as stylish as the A4 defeats the purpose of buying a premium car. In this guise you get low power and a lack of refinement but a nice prestigeous badge. Even the last-generation A6 came with that 1.9TDI tractor engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

RedorDead wrote:
    The five spoke alloys became standard on the Sport models from build week 45/06 onwards. This came about because the standard Limited Edition model got the old 17" wheels that were on the 2006 Sport model.
    thats great news redordead i didnt order mine until the end of october so they should be on it ill see next week heres hoping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

pburns wrote:
    I've read that the next-gen A4 will have the engine placed behind the rear wheels to improve dynamics.
    I'm guessing you mean behind the front wheels?:)

Originally Posted by Av8r_Mark
    He also reckons that you could keep the A4 new each year for around 8k euro provided you put 40km on the clock each year and no more

they probably mean with a new model coming out next year it would cost a little more to trade in, i had a 03 old model landcruiser which i bought new fairly cheap because it was an outgoing model , when i was trading it in for a new one in 2005 they wanted13000 to trade he told me if it was a new model 03 it would cost 10000 to trade so what i saved initally i lost two years later i dont think you can win with these dealers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

pburns wrote:
    I've read that the next-gen A4 will have the engine placed behind the rear wheels to improve dynamics. RWD of 3-series probably still nicer in higher-power versions.

See http://www.automobilemag.com/future_cars/2008/0609_2009_audi_a4/

Eeep! The S4 Avant is to be no more? That's a bit of a shocker.

NTM

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm guessing you mean behind the front wheels?:)

Eh...yeah...I think faster than I type...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

unkel wrote:
    So you say it's better than the A4 and we've established it costs the same. Which car is overrated by that logic?
    I'm not talking about which is actually better, I'm saying that there are difference between them good and bad, but if I were to listen to what the majority of people say about the 3-series, then I'd believe that there isn't a better handling car in the world apart from a supercar, and my money couldn't be placed anywhere better, all of which I disagree with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

RedorDead wrote:
    I think my BMW price is the on the road price so point taken :)

In fairness the spec is quite similar although the 320D gets an onboard computer, run flats, rear leccy windows and start stop button over the A4. A4 has 17" alloys as opposed 3 Series 16" ,front armrest and free S Line exterior kit.

where did ya get this info???

Cant imagine an a4 not have electric windows in the rear.
    You wont get run flats standard on a 320d expect to pay about 2k upgrading from 16s to 18s

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

patsyh wrote:
    where did ya get this info???

Cant imagine an a4 not have electric windows in the rear.
    You wont get run flats standard on a 320d expect to pay about 2k upgrading from 16s to 18s

Basic 1.6 litre 102bhp A4 "limited edition" costs €35,500 ex works, has no rear electric windows and has an 8 valve engine. :eek: Seems to be norm for entry level German cars.

Link: http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=12215520061023&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

bazz26 wrote:
    Basic 1.6 litre 102bhp A4 "limited edition" costs €35,500 ex works, has no rear electric windows and has an 8 valve engine. :eek: Seems to be norm for entry level German cars

OMFG! That's about the same price as an entry level 3-series that is much better specced. Surely nobody would buy that Audi? :confused:

Not the norm for entry level German cars, bazz, as you know full well. Just the norm for VAG cars...

unkel wrote:
    OMFG! That's about the same price as an entry level 3-series that is much better specced. Surely nobody would buy that Audi? :confused:

Not the norm for entry level German cars, bazz, as you know full well. Just the norm for VAG cars...

Yes BMWs generally have become better equipped in the last few years since they took hold of distribution in Ireland.

I remember though not too long ago (about 10 years or so ago) that even things on the 320i (E36) such as electric front windows and colour coded mirrors and bumpers were optional extras. It was the same with the MB C-Class. And these weren't cheap back then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

unkel wrote:

Not much better specced, slightly better!! Remember Unkel, your bog standard 316, 318, 318D and 320D come with steel wheels as standard.

The A4 comes with 17" alloys as standard.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

RedorDead wrote:
    Not much better specced, slightly better!! Remember Unkel, your bog standard 316, 318, 318D and 320D come with steel wheels as standard.

The A4 comes with 17" alloys as standard.;)
    The A4 could come with gold-plated magnesium wheels and it still wouldn't be as good a drive as a 3-series. I really don't understand this fixation with wheels at all.

You have got to remember though that the A4 is 6 years old, it is coming to the end of its life in the next 12 months so in order to stay competitive against newer rivals such as the 3 Series they need to attract customers. Bringing out a limited or special edition to the range with nice bigger shiny alloys is a good way of doing that.

Have to agree though, a car costing close to €40k these days having steel wheels is shocking imo.

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes BMWs generally have become better equipped in the last few years since they took hold of distribution in Ireland

Yeah before that the entry level BMWs were poverty spec alright
    Anan1 wrote:
    I really don't understand this fixation with wheels at all.

Indeed. Big alloy wheels with low profile tyres look good, but are a PITA in Ireland. I sometimes wish my car had not come with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Av8r_Mark

Guys,

I picked up the new A4 today and I have to say I definitely made the right decision. I am a firm believer in "everyone to their own" and the new 3 series just doesn't live up to the looks of the previous model in my opinion. I am sure there are lots of people will say the same about the A4 but like I said everyone has their own preference.

I am more than happy with the spec in the S Line and the upgraded alloys look the business, but after the journey home - they are now black cos of the bloody weather! :mad:

Kind regards

Mark.

Av8r_Mark wrote:
    I picked up the new A4 today and I have to say I definitely made the right decision. I am a firm believer in "everyone to their own" and the new 3 series just doesn't live up to the looks of the previous model in my opinion

Good for you and best of luck with it, Mark :)

• Advertisement

Av8r_Mark wrote:
    Guys,

Many thanks for the info and replies - much appreciated....

I was in the dealers this afternoon and have put my name down for a new 1.9Tdi S line in black. The salesman says that the S line models being supplied in 2007 are now coming with the 17" 5 Arm alloys instead of the multi-spoked versions supplied to date. He also reckons that you could keep the A4 new each year for around 8k euro provided you put 40km on the clock each year and no more.

I would live the 2.0 TDi which i drove in the A3 and I have to say it was a pure rocket and beautiful machine to drive especially with 6 speed box but I can't stretch to it unfortunately. I do alot of driving for work and I think I might need a fuel bowser coming behind me if I had the 2 litre.

Donie - thanks for the heads up on the new A4 - you have made me think twice now!! Everytime I go to change my car - there is a new model expected 12 months later - i think I am jinxed!!

Kind regards

Mark.
    mark how long did they say it would be before you have it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Av8r_Mark

Hiscan

Originally i was not supposed to have it until the end of January. However the dealer contacted me last Saturday morning and said they had one that had been ordered but the person's finance had fell through and they had pulled out. So I picked that one up Monday eve - same spec as what I had ordered in brilliant black.

The car is going perfect - there is a squeek coming from the drivers seat which is a little irritating but the dealer said they would sort that. Other than that I am very happy with it.

Going through Carlow town yesterday and saw one in silver - have to say it looked fantastic in that colour.

Any news on when you are picking up yours or if the alloys are the ones you want??

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

bazz26 wrote:
    You have got to remember though that the A4 is 6 years old, it is coming to the end of its life in the next 12 months so in order to stay competitive against newer rivals such as the 3 Series they need to attract customers. Bringing out a limited or special edition to the range with nice bigger shiny alloys is a good way of doing that.

Have to agree though, a car costing close to €40k these days having steel wheels is shocking imo.

New A4 due out end of 2007 in Germany.Looks good

http://www.autobild.de/projektor/galerie.php?pos=1&artikel_id=10709

Av8r_Mark wrote:
    Hiscan

Originally i was not supposed to have it until the end of January. However the dealer contacted me last Saturday morning and said they had one that had been ordered but the person's finance had fell through and they had pulled out. So I picked that one up Monday eve - same spec as what I had ordered in brilliant black.

The car is going perfect - there is a squeek coming from the drivers seat which is a little irritating but the dealer said they would sort that. Other than that I am very happy with it.

Going through Carlow town yesterday and saw one in silver - have to say it looked fantastic in that colour.

Any news on when you are picking up yours or if the alloys are the ones you want??

Mark.
    rang me today says hes hoping to have it monday or tuesday fingers crossed for the alloys

picked t up this evening at long last and a big bonus as well 5 spoke alloys what a result made the look better than i could have imagined having drove it tonight its even better than the test drive if thats possible probably better cause i didnt have to give it back anyways im very happy with it which wouldnt be too hard considering we had a 1.6 petrol avensis before this

Advertisement