Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 S-LINE 1.9Tdi

Options
  • 04-01-2007 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Audi A4 (Facelift Model) 2005 \ 2006. I am in the process of buying a 2006 1.9Tdi S-Line spec model and wonder if anyone has or had one - how did you find them - good or bad??

Also on my search for the S -Line spec which I am finding hard enough to get - is it worth paying the bit extra for this spec or is it a waste?

I have looked at around 4 of the S Line spec models and can't help wondering if its worth holding out for a decent one or just going with a nice SE spec

Any experiences greatly appreciated........

Kind regards

Mark.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Fantastic cars.
    Only driven the 1.8T in the S Line
    Nice leather wheel and gear knob. Few different trims inside
    Nice spoilers on the outside - Front, rear and sides.
    After driving the 1.8T S Line I said it'd be a whole lot better car in the diesel.
    Love those VAG diesels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

picking up a new one next week and i have to say the s line pack is well worth it gives the car a more sporty look i mean even the upgraded alloys are worth the 1950 alone the standard audi alloys just dont look the part
    will fill you in more next week but if the test drive is anything to go by the a4 is second to none

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

hiscan wrote:
    picking up a new one next week and i have to say the s line pack is well worth it gives the car a more sporty look i mean even the upgraded alloys are worth the 1950 alone the standard audi alloys just dont look the part
    will fill you in more next week but if the test drive is anything to go by the a4 is second to none
    I'm not so sure about that. Sure, the A4 TDI is a nice car, but options are quite expensive. And the more spec one adds, the closer one gets to the price of a BMW 320d.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm not so sure about that. Sure, the A4 TDI is a nice car, but options are quite expensive. And the more spec one adds, the closer one gets to the price of a BMW 320d.

..and the 1.9TDi with a lousy 115bhp is a poor engine in this day and age in that class of car.

Shame on VW for not selling the 2.0TDi as standard in a "premium" car such as the A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Anan1 wrote:

Just checked the price list and I can't believe that the cheapest A4 2.0 TDI 170BHP has the same list price as a 320D @46k :eek:

Is there a huge spec difference?

Even the cheapest 115BHP 1.9 TDI lists @€;39k. Depreciation is higher on an A4 than on a BMW 3-series, so it looks like Audi is pricing itself out of the market

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    Shame on VW for not selling the 2.0TDi as standard in a "premium" car such as the A4.

BMW does that as well with the 2.0l 318D which is 122BHP and Mercedes with the C200D which is a 2.1l with also 122BHP. With the Merc, you don't even get a discount for the low engine performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

unkel wrote:
    Just checked the price list and I can't believe that the cheapest A4 2.0 TDI 170BHP has the same list price as a 320D @46k :eek:

Even the cheapest 115BHP 1.9 TDI lists @€;39k. Depreciation is higher on an A4 than on a BMW 3-series, so it looks like Audi is pricing itself out of the market

:eek: Thats made my mind up, I'm keeping that 46K in my rabo account now, thanks for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

unkel wrote:

The A4 has 5 Diesel options:
    1.9 TDI 115 starts @ 39300
    2.0 TDI 140 starts @ 43320
    2.0 TDI 170 starts @ 45650
    2.7 TDI 180 starts @ 49870
    3.0 TDI 233 starts @ 57310

The 3 Series has 5 Diesel options:
    318D 122 starts @ 43850
    320D 163 starts @ 47000
    325D 197 starts @ 53550
    330D 231 starts @ 59250
    335D 286 starts @ 65800

The C Class has 3 Diesel options:
    C200 122 CDI starts @ 46485
    C220 150 CDI starts @ 49990
    C320 224 CDI starts @ 58730

Can you honestly look at the comparative prices above and tell me Audi is pricing themselves out of the market??? Admittedly the 3 Series is holding its value a little better (20% 2 year depreciation for 3 Series vs 29% for A4 vs 27% for C Class) but bear in mind that while the 3 Series is spanking new, the A4 is 6 years old.

RedorDead wrote:
    Can you honestly look at the comparative prices above and tell me Audi is pricing themselves out of the market??? Admittedly the 3 Series is holding its value a little better (20% 2 year depreciation for 3 Series vs 29% for A4 vs 27% for C Class) but bear in mind that while the 3 Series is spanking new, the A4 is 6 years old.
    I think so. The A4 2.0TDI 170 is only €1,350 cheaper than the BMW 320d. Drive both, and tell me what you think.

RedorDead wrote:
    Can you honestly look at the comparative prices above and tell me Audi is pricing themselves out of the market???

Yes. I was comparing the 170BHP 2.0 A4 TDI with the 163BHP 320D. Both are €46k list, so unless the Audi has a better spec, it is too expensive. Anything with higher power than these is irrelevant in this country as sales will be very low

The €39k entry level 1.9 A4 TDI is substantially cheaper than anything BMW and Merc have to offer, so there's some market share for Audi there. Although at €10k more than a VW Passat or the bigger Skoda Superb with the same engine, it looks very pricy too. To be honest, the Mercs are all overpriced

• Advertisement

RedorDead wrote:

If you exclude the 1.9 TDi, which really is a tractor engine and should be sold as such (I know, I have 4 tractors... and regularly drive the TDi in an 06 Passat... narrow powerband, noisy, slow) then the prices are silly. There was a time, not so long ago when the A4 was priced as a slightly more expensive car than the passat, but much cheaper than the merc.

Honda are now trying to do the same with the Accord. Up the price and say "its now a luxury car, sir". Pah.

Anan1 wrote:
    I think so. The A4 2.0TDI 170 is only €1,350 cheaper than the BMW 320d

According to carzone.ie, it is only €500 cheaper (€45,650 vs €46,150), hence my stating both are €46k list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

I currently drive a 04 Audi A3 and I was thinking of trading up to an A4 S-Line Tdi 1.9. Then I heard that there will be a new model launched in late 2007. I then did some searching on the internet and I came across this...
    http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/country/gcf/spyphotoID/6060420.001/audi/audi-q5-suv-and-next-generation-a4-spy-photos

Looks like the new model won't be much different. They also mention that there will be a 120bhp Tdi. I wonder will this be the old 1.9 Tdi reincarnated?

The nice glossy picture of the light blue metallic A4 look nice alright. See the thumbnails on the web page.

maidhc wrote:
    Honda are now trying to do the same with the Accord. Up the price and say "its now a luxury car, sir". Pah.

Couldn't agree more. Many others have tried too, but only Lexus has been successful as in taking market share away from BMW and Mercedes-Benz while charging the same premium prices

unkel wrote:
    According to carzone.ie, it is only €500 cheaper (€45,650 vs €46,150), hence my stating both are €46k list :)

I think my BMW price is the on the road price so point taken :)

In fairness the spec is quite similar although the 320D gets an onboard computer, run flats, rear leccy windows and start stop button over the A4. A4 has 17" alloys as opposed 3 Series 16" ,front armrest and free S Line exterior kit.

But it is more or less the same and as you say, the real value is to be found on similar engined Passats, Octavias and Superbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Av8r_Mark

Guys,

Many thanks for the info and replies - much appreciated....

I was in the dealers this afternoon and have put my name down for a new 1.9Tdi S line in black. The salesman says that the S line models being supplied in 2007 are now coming with the 17" 5 Arm alloys instead of the multi-spoked versions supplied to date. He also reckons that you could keep the A4 new each year for around 8k euro provided you put 40km on the clock each year and no more.

I would live the 2.0 TDi which i drove in the A3 and I have to say it was a pure rocket and beautiful machine to drive especially with 6 speed box but I can't stretch to it unfortunately. I do alot of driving for work and I think I might need a fuel bowser coming behind me if I had the 2 litre.

Donie - thanks for the heads up on the new A4 - you have made me think twice now!! Everytime I go to change my car - there is a new model expected 12 months later - i think I am jinxed!!

Kind regards

Mark.

Av8r_Mark wrote:
    I was in the dealers this afternoon and have put my name down for a new 1.9Tdi S line in black. The salesman says that the S line models being supplied in 2007 are now coming with the 17" 5 Arm alloys instead of the multi-spoked versions supplied to date. He also reckons that you could keep the A4 new each year for around 8k euro provided you put 40km on the clock each year and no more.

We sold an 3 yr old A4 TDi (1.9, 100bhp, 65k miles) last year for 23k. It cost the most of 40k new.

40-23 =17/3=5.6k depreciation p.a.

The 2.0 won't be much thirstier than the 1.9, although I'd suspect in real world driving there would be a fair difference due to driver behavior with the more powerful engine.

Good luck with the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Av8r_Mark wrote:
    Guys,

Many thanks for the info and replies - much appreciated....

I would live the 2.0 TDi which i drove in the A3 and I have to say it was a pure rocket and beautiful machine to drive especially with 6 speed box but I can't stretch to it unfortunately. I do alot of driving for work and I think I might need a fuel bowser coming behind me if I had the 2 litre.

Donie - thanks for the heads up on the new A4 - you have made me think twice now!! Everytime I go to change my car - there is a new model expected 12 months later - i think I am jinxed!!

Kind regards

Mark.
    mark do them alloys come on all cars ordered in 2007 or all cars ordered for 2007 im just wondering cause i ordered mine last october and i was going to upgrade the alloys but my salesman told me they charge collossal money for that so i didnt bother even though i liked the 5 spoke wheels it would be great if they now came as standard on all s lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Av8r_Mark

Hiscan

As far as I know but someone please correct me if I am wrong I think the upgraded 5 arm alloys come on the car that has been ordered IN 2007 and not in 2006 for delivery in 2007. The reason I think this is because - the dealer has an S Line spec A4 in the showrooms - this car arrived in the showroom during December and was the version with the multispoke alloys. The car was registered this week with the 07 plates for delivery to the owner.She is sitting there at the moment waiting to be collected.

However if your car is only being delivered into the country now - maybe the 5 arm alloys will be on your car.

I agree with what you said about the alloys - i was of the idea that I would have to part with 1561 euro for the 5 arm spoke design alloys (they are on the audi website if you want to make sure they are the type you were looking for). However the salesman says they are now the standard alloy on the S line for 2007.

This probably doesn't answer your question - I would give the dealer a call and find out if I were you.

Regards,

Mark.

RedorDead wrote:
    In fairness the spec is quite similar although the 320D gets an onboard computer, run flats, rear leccy windows and start stop button over the A4. A4 has 17" alloys as opposed 3 Series 16" ,front armrest and free S Line exterior kit.

Sure, but I think a few people are missing the main point here - drive both, and you'll see that the 320d is in a different class to the A4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The A4 is looking a bit tired imo, it is 6 years old now. Granted the interior quality is still one of the best available but the last time I sat in one the rear leg room was very tight and the boot was pretty average too. The 1.9 TDi VAG is getting on a bit these days also.

Av8r_Mark wrote:
    He also reckons that you could keep the A4 new each year for around 8k euro provided you put 40km on the clock each year and no more

Sounds about right for an A4 1.9 diesel - your man seems honest enough to come up with that figure. I've heard VAG salesmen claiming you'll get your money back when selling a <insert any popular VAG car here> when you come to sell it in 6 months time. Yeah of course you would :rolleyes:

Still, €8k every year is a lot of money going towards depreciation alone!
    Anan1 wrote:
    Sure, but I think a few people are missing the main point here - drive both, and you'll see that the 320d is in a different class to the A4.

Aye. And not just from a drivers' point of view. It beggars belief that an inferior car (A4 TDI 170bhp) costs more to own per year than a superior car (320d) in total cost of ownership
    bazz26 wrote:
    I sat in one the rear leg room was very tight and the boot was pretty average too

In fairness, all cars in that segment are a bit tight in the rear, except the Skoda Superb

unkel wrote:
    Still, €8k every year is a lot of money going towards depreciation alone!

Indeed, that's Mondeo/Laguna depreciation territory. I was expecting a bit better from Audi.
    unkel wrote:
    In fairness, all cars in that segment are a bit tight in the rear, except the Skoda Superb

I suppose that's true. It really boils down to how much space you need.

Av8r_Mark wrote:
    Hiscan

As far as I know but someone please correct me if I am wrong I think the upgraded 5 arm alloys come on the car that has been ordered IN 2007 and not in 2006 for delivery in 2007. The reason I think this is because - the dealer has an S Line spec A4 in the showrooms - this car arrived in the showroom during December and was the version with the multispoke alloys. The car was registered this week with the 07 plates for delivery to the owner.She is sitting there at the moment waiting to be collected.

However if your car is only being delivered into the country now - maybe the 5 arm alloys will be on your car.

I agree with what you said about the alloys - i was of the idea that I would have to part with 1561 euro for the 5 arm spoke design alloys (they are on the audi website if you want to make sure they are the type you were looking for). However the salesman says they are now the standard alloy on the S line for 2007.

This probably doesn't answer your question - I would give the dealer a call and find out if I were you.

Regards,

Mark.

The five spoke alloys became standard on the Sport models from build week 45/06 onwards. This came about because the standard Limited Edition model got the old 17" wheels that were on the 2006 Sport model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

maidhc wrote:
    If you exclude the 1.9 TDi, which really is a tractor engine and should be sold as such (I know, I have 4 tractors... and regularly drive the TDi in an 06 Passat... narrow powerband, noisy, slow) then the prices are silly. There was a time, not so long ago when the A4 was priced as a slightly more expensive car than the passat, but much cheaper than the merc.

Honda Ireland are only doing that, cause they are tools. Honda UK have it priced as it should be, just a little dearer than the Passat/Avensis group.
    3-series must be one of the most over-rated cars on the road. There is nothing special about the handling, granted it's a nice bit ahead of the A4, which is just an A-to-B machine, but it's nothing compared to a proper coupe. It's also fairly bland inside, and cramped.
    I wouldn't bother with the superb either, it's nearly the same price as the passat, is based on the old model (very much inferior chassis) and will depreciate like a rock. The Octavia is in a class below, in the Golf/Corrola group and is selling well, for good money and holding its value reasonably well.
    If you want good value and good re-sale, then the 140bhp 2.0 TDi passat will be a better buy with more room and a more involving drive than the A4 with about 8 grand in the back pocket. 170bhp would be better, but it's something like 3 grand more, and might only give you 1 grand more than a 140 in 2 years time.

@ OP - Best of luck with new A4, they're a nice, well finished car. You'll have the next generation A4 to look forward to, which should be a sharper car to drive.

Biro wrote:
    3-series must be one of the most over-rated cars on the road. There is nothing special about the handling, granted it's a nice bit ahead of the A4, which is just an A-to-B machine, but it's nothing compared to a proper coupe.
    Out of interest, what 'proper coupe' did you have in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Anan1 wrote:
    Out of interest, what 'proper coupe' did you have in mind?
    In a similar price bracket, Celica, RX8 that sort of car.

EDIT : Even the new non-coupe Golf GTi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

€8k depreciation sounds a bit steep. I bought an Audi A3 1.6 petrol brand new in 2004 for €28k. It was a straight deal and the list price was just over €30k. I could still get €20k to €22k for it if I advertised it privately. An Audi dealer will only give me 17 or 18k. Looks like the A4 depreciates a lot more than the A3.
    Maybe a new Passat is a better option...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Donnie, I just traded my '05 A3 (1.6 FSI Ambition) at a VW/Audi dealers - got 26K for it, which I thought wasn't too bad...

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote:
    Donnie, I just traded my '05 A3 (1.6 FSI Ambition) at a VW/Audi dealers - got 26K for it, which I thought wasn't too bad...

It depends on what you traded it in against and how much it cost you to trade up.

Advertisement