Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So when did the "Gardee" start using undercover Subarus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I've also seen one of the branch cars with a 'Baby on board' sticker on the back window. I'll be impressed when I see one with 'No Fear' on it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Dingatron wrote:
    Well there are at least two garda cars travelling down the M1 at 8AM most mornings. The Forrester and also another Focus saloon. I have seen both pulling cars on numerous occassions. Must be their patch so?
    Believe it or not, that's the Gardai doing their job. Their shift actually starts at 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cast_iron wrote:
    Their shift actually starts at 8am.
    6am? (6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm, 10pm-6am for 'ordinary' Gardaí)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You are confusing Gardaí in unmarked cars with undercover Gardaí - totally different.
    Lets not start that thread again!
    FX Meister wrote:
    Guess you haven't seen or heard about the Evo IX they have then.
    Weren't the Evo's sold? I recall hearing somewhere that it was because they were using >€300 on fuel per night.
    jetsonx wrote:
    Not the first time that I've heard of our force goading motorists to go faster - with the ultimate goal of then nicking them.
    I frequently got it from all sorts with my last car (I think people believed that it was an E30 M3). Just because they wanted to race didn't mean that I had to participate!

kbannon wrote:
    Weren't the Evo's sold? I recall hearing somewhere that it was because they were using >€300 on fuel per night
    I heard that they were out on a trial basis and found to be unsuitable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Upon reflection that is what I heard alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

I've heard unofficially that the DMA have 12 unmarked Forresters. Someone here said that they also have an unmarked black BMW X5 but I've never seen it.

well iv seen a blue x5 down in waterford i know its a blue x5 coz he pulled me over:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

delly wrote:
    There are quiet a few Forrester's knocking about alright and tbh whereas before I would keep an eye out for the typical unmarked car, I wouldn't really be surprised to see them in any car these days.

Saw a guy getting pulled over by an unmarked 00 avensis in Cork recently. Don't think there was an clues that he was a garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

GB15 wrote:
    Saw a guy getting pulled over by an unmarked 00 avensis in Cork recently. Don't think there was an clues that he was a garda.

Toyotas seem to be a big favourite for unmarked work ...usually the Corolla saloons / Avensis saloons which are navy or green in colour

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

BMW X5 is attached to the ERU.

Any Mercs spotted would belong to the Ministerial Pool.

Commissioners car is an unmarked Volvo S80.

Every Traffic Corps region now has an unmarked Subaru Forrester 2.0L Turbo (extremely fast)

They also have unmarked
    Mondeos 2.0 and 2.5 V6
    Avensis
    Skoda FSI 2.0T
    Land Cruisiers

Most money is being pumped into Traffic Corps.

Regular patrol Gardai drive 1.6L-2.0L Vectras, Focus's, Avensis's or Mondeos.
    The likes of community police and very isolated stations (1 or 2 Gardai) might drive yaris's and puntos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yep, got stopped for speeding by a forrester in maynooth. Didn't really matter what it was, as it was well hidden at lidl near esso, couldn't see it till past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'll never forget the day i saw someone being written up by a garda terrano, with the garda horsebox on the back.

knowing the stretch of road i'd say 99% likely she got sick of sitting behind him and overtook on a decent enough straight but that still has a solid white line.

pissed myself laughing at that one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There's 2 landcruisers in Limerick, a Traffic Corps and an undercover. Both look like they were purchased from the department of defence. In fairness NOBODY buys a Landcruiser without alloys these days, apart from that you wouldn't notice the undercover

ninty9er wrote:
    There's 2 landcruisers in Limerick, a Traffic Corps and an undercover
    :rolleyes: Undercover or Unmarked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

ninty9er wrote:
    There's 2 landcruisers in Limerick, a Traffic Corps and an undercover. Both look like they were purchased from the department of defence. In fairness NOBODY buys a Landcruiser without alloys these days, apart from that you wouldn't notice the undercover

Saw the black landcruiser on Childers rd last week, coming from "the hill" direction, however the occupants didn't look like the kind of guards who give out parking tickets, if you know what i mean?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Black Landcruisers with tinted windows are ERU. Have flashing strobes in headlights and tail lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Chief--- wrote:

Every Traffic Corps region now has an unmarked Subaru Forrester 2.0L Turbo (extremely fast)

They're fairly nippy alright. Got caught on the Ballymun Road a few months ago, and as the Garda was taking my details, another guy failed to stop for the other Garda on duty. The Garda trundled into the Forrester, and tore up the road, he caught the guy in no time. No big deal catching a punto in an urban area, but great acceleration all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Chief--- wrote:
    BMW X5 is attached to the ERU.
    :cool:

Chief--- wrote:
    Black Landcruisers with tinted windows are ERU. Have flashing strobes in headlights and tail lights.
    :cool:

Hey Chief--- Fill us in! you've got a source or you are observant or
    :eek: They've come lookin' for ya!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

6am? (6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm, 10pm-6am for 'ordinary' Gardaí)
    Yea, 6am. Typo, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

What use is a Land Cruiser or any SUV for the Traffic Corps, they won't keep up with anything and in a crash will massacre anything they hit?

• Advertisement

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    What use is a Land Cruiser or any SUV for the Traffic Corps, they won't keep up with anything and in a crash will massacre anything they hit?

I would Imagine the Toyota 3.0 Petrol engine could pull a truck so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a speedy thing.

No the one I saw was dark green, bit darker than the army sort. The lads flashed the lights and pumped the siren to stop some scumbags robbing the Christmas tree decorations outside Pennys one night when I was passing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Limerick. ERU.

No offence, but IIRC, Limerick has the highest number of ERUs in the country ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There is a Forrester operating in Roscommon, especially on new straight stretch of road into Strokestown. After being caught there I now know where he hides :-(
    Also spotted subaru forrester on Nenagh bypass.
    Both were dark blue so not sure if that is standard or not.
    Around Mullingar they use big white transit van with camera, even noticed it stragetically parked on dual carriageway the morning of Mayo match in Croker.
    Tell me that was not revenue gathering, lets catch a few boys from the west mentality.

Something I have noticed is cops tailing people through villages and then if you went through 7/8 miles over limit they pull you over.
    So always watch rear view mirrors.

Why do some people drive through a village at 45 mph and then on open road only go up to 50 mph, do they think they are safer drivers ?
    This is something I have spotted more than a few times of late.

Fey! wrote:
    Limerick. ERU.

No offence, but IIRC, Limerick has the highest number of ERUs in the country ATM.

Not entirely true, Dublin has a lot of armed Gardaí on the City centre streets at these times, but it is possible the green one is ERU. They were supposed to switch to using old Camrys and Mondeos for that though to look less suspicious IIRC

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The 06 Forresters are actually 2.5 turbos. Pretty rapid vehicles. There's a purple one often on the Nenagh bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

eamon234 wrote:
    Just carrying on the tradition of using sh1te ugly cars I suppose!

Yeah you'd know plenty about car aesthetics being impressed with the Kia and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Tipsy Mac wrote:

Subaru Forester 2.5 XT:

http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=35448220061001&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

Performance: maximum speed (mph): 137, maximum speed (km/h): 221 and acceleration 0-100 km/h (secs): 6

Subaru Forester 2.0 X:
    http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=708800620061001&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

Performance: maximum speed (mph): 117, maximum speed (km/h): 189 and acceleration 0-100 km/h (secs): 9.7

6 seconds is faster than the vast majority of cars on Irish roads. 9.7 is not too shabby either compared to the masses of golfs (1.4), puntos, 206's,corsa etc on Irish roads. Plus they can be cleverly disguised as soccer moms.

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    What use is a Land Cruiser or any SUV for the Traffic Corps
    If you were being rammed by a joyrider, which vehicle would you prefer to be in - a Fiat Punto or a Toyota Landcruiser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If you were being rammed by a joyrider, which vehicle would you prefer to be in - a Fiat Punto or a Toyota Landcruiser?

Cruiser is fine if they are coming towards me, ****e if I'm trying to catch them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Cruiser is fine if they are coming towards me, ****e if I'm trying to catch them ;)

See my above post!!! They are NOT slow at all. 6 seconds to 100km per hour.

Advertisement