Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So when did the "Gardee" start using undercover Subarus?

Options
  • 29-12-2006 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

So we have all seen the "undercover" gardai in their Ford Focuses, Mondeos and Fiat Bravos but I saw a car stopped today by no less than an undercover Subaru Forrester. It had the blue stobe lights under the front grill and at opposite sides to the rear window break lights. How long have they been using these for?

The boyos are really get flash now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Just carrying on the tradition of using sh1te ugly cars I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭alanlouthzzr

They have been using them since earlier this year. There is a fleet of approx 15 in various colours. They also have a black '04 Citroen Xsara working in Louth.
    The moral of the story is that they can and do drive almost everything.
    Watch out for the Landcruiser petrol that they have...it's one of the quickest vehicles between petrol stations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I've seen them using Toyota Yaris' down here in Limerick...and from what I hear, they're looking into purchasing a few Cosworths (UK Police cars).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jetsonx wrote:
    So we have all seen the "undercover" gardai in their Ford Focuses, Mondeos and Fiat Bravos
    You are confusing Gardaí in unmarked cars with undercover Gardaí - totally different.

I regularly see beige, blue and red unmarked Forresters on the M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

eamon234 wrote:
    Just carrying on the tradition of using sh1te ugly cars I suppose!
    They're Guards, not models..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Guess you haven't seen or heard about the Evo IX they have then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Doesn't matter what they drive; you can still spot them a mile off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Yeah I was done for being omn the phone by a blue Forester in Glasnevin. I was so close to them with windows down by the time I noticed that all 4 cops could here the other side of my conversation¬!

Points never came though, makes a mockery of the whole system when

1. YOu reckon you wont get done
    2. If you do, the points wont make it for a multitude of reasons.

DarkJager wrote:
    I've seen them using Toyota Yaris' down here in Limerick...and from what I hear, they're looking into purchasing a few Cosworths (UK Police cars).

Think you might of heard that wrong. Ford havn't made cosworth tuned cars in years.

They'd hardly buy ultra performance cars that are old, require frequent maintenance and are hard to find parts for.. Or this that what they want us to tink :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Yeah I was done for being omn the phone by a blue Forester in Glasnevin

yip thats the one alright..a blue Forester - not a milliion miles away from Glasnevin. I wonder how many of these they actually have floating about or is it the same one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

castlebar also has one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

FX Meister wrote:
    Guess you haven't seen or heard about the Evo IX they have then.

yes i have seen them in this. Its mainly used to catch people on the m1 but ive seen it afew times around naas rd

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

There are quiet a few Forrester's knocking about alright and tbh whereas before I would keep an eye out for the typical unmarked car, I wouldn't really be surprised to see them in any car these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There is also a corolla hatchback being used fitted with sidelights on the bumpers. The sidelights are quite large and are similiar to those fitted on the Volvo S40 old model. From these, the blue bulbs start flashing......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

G Luxel wrote:
    There is also a corolla hatchback being used fitted with sidelights on the bumpers. The sidelights are quite large and are similiar to those fitted on the Volvo S40 old model. From these, the blue bulbs start flashing......:)

Yes a silver 5 door, seeing as it's only 1.4 doesn't really make any sense. You would think a T Sport would have fit the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

the forrester is based in santry ,if I was a guard I'd feel safe in one of those.
    I don't think there is loads of them going around in dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Watch out for the Landcruiser petrol that they have...it's one of the quickest vehicles between petrol stations!

Are you not mixing this up with the ERU fleet? Also included is a couple of Isuzu Troopers... all with blacked out windows (now where is Ivor Callely) :p

_Brian_ wrote:
    the forrester is based in santry... ..I don't think there is loads of them going around in dublin though.
    I've heard unofficially that the DMA have 12 unmarked Forresters. Someone here said that they also have an unmarked black BMW X5 but I've never seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

There's a load of Forresters in use, I see them everywhere. They Gardai dont have to inform us all personally each time they start using new vehicles. In anyways, I wouldn't exactly describe a Subaru Forester as:
    The boyos are really get flash now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Pretty sure I saw a Merc in action on the M1 some time back. Was I imagining things? He pulled over a "modified car" owner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

There's a dark coloured Legacy estate in use by the gards in co cork, well at least there was last year when they tried to trick me into racing them. Eejits had yellow jackets up in on the rear parcel shelf and a garda hat on the dash, 4 lads inside it all neat and tidy, all wearing "respectable" dark clothes. Was dead obvious, they came right up behind me and flashed their lights then pulled out beside my car and made sort of "race me" gestures. Myself and the other lad in my car just waved at them and we kept going at around 45 mph. I dont know what the thinking behind that is, it's happened to someone else i know in laois somewhere, surely they're not allowed do that?

Also as a second point , which might be of interest is that i've seen a group of uniform gards in an unmarked silver 5 door citroen xsara pull over cars on two separate occasions in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

_Brian_ wrote:
    the forrester is based in santry ,if I was a guard I'd feel safe in one of those.
    I don't think there is loads of them going around in dublin though.

Think he comes down the M1 most mornings if its the dark red/purple one. I'd say he has a few collars most mornings on his way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

they came right up behind me and flashed their lights then pulled out beside my car and made sort of "race me" gestures. Myself and the other lad in my car just waved at them and we kept going at around 45 mph. I dont know what the thinking behind that is

This kind of stuff would make really interesting viewing for someone in the media to make an undercover documentary about.

Not the first time that I've heard of our force goading motorists to go faster - with the ultimate goal of then nicking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Dingatron wrote:
    Think he comes down the M1 most mornings if its the dark red/purple one. I'd say he has a few collars most mornings on his way in.
    Em....they're not company cars. They don't get to bring them home at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I've heard unofficially that the DMA have 12 unmarked Forresters. Someone here said that they also have an unmarked black BMW X5 but I've never seen it.
    They have a dark Volvo XC90 and that's a fact, maybe this is confused with the X5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

cast_iron wrote:
    Em....they're not company cars. They don't get to bring them home at night.

Well there are at least two garda cars travelling down the M1 at 8AM most mornings. The Forrester and also another Focus saloon. I have seen both pulling cars on numerous occassions. Must be their patch so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's a dark coloured Legacy estate in use by the gards in co cork

Oooh, a family cop car! :D

Dingatron wrote:
    Well there are at least two garda cars travelling down the M1 at 8AM most mornings
    Not just down - up also and throughout the day. I think they are from the Hotel Alpha (Santry) district Traffic Corps. They also venture onto the R132 occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi,

heads-up saw a silver volvo S80 recently on the N7 as well as the Forrester in around naas area.

regards

Advertisement