Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on my rights

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

What a crock of S**T, I'd write to Ferrari, complaining about ACER trashing their brand with this type of behaviour

Brands like Ferrari take that sort of thing to heart.

Worth a try.....

W

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

The law of contract is that the law applicable is the jurisdiction where the contract is concluded. In here or in England the purchaser is entitled to get goods of merchantable quality from the vendor. It is not good enough for the vendor to refer the purchaser to the manufacturer for repairs. Goods sold should be reasonably fit for the purpose for which they are sold. Given the history of this laptop it appears that it was not fit for its purpose. English consumer protection is much more advanced than Irish. Check out consumer redress procedures in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

I should hear from Acer tomorrow (or should I have said I will have to contact them in the UK and be put on hold for about 10-15 mins). In the meantime, I have contacted laptopsdirect just a few mins aqgo via email so I am hoping that something will happen soon.
    It is obvious to me that Acer is a no go for me in the future. The thing that startled me mosre than anything else is the way I was treated by them! They did not give a **ite even when I threatened them by cours, used high tone etc. I suppose it is the time os sellers and not buyers. If it were the time of buyer, they would make sure that we get satisfacytion for the money but as it stands...

Got a phonecall from Laptopsdirect today after I got annoyed with the yesterday.
    They contacted Acer on my behalf and Acer informed them (rather than me) that they have approved a new, replacement laptop. They will ship it in the next few days. Curious to see when it will arrive and what the specs will be. The one I bought last year (Acer Ferrari 4005WLMI) is not produced anymore).
    At the samew time, got a letter from acer today to inform me that I did not take out an extended warranty with them (even though I forwarded them with the acknowledgement email which they send me when I registered for AcerAdvantage). However, they said that as a gesture od good will (!) they would carry out the registration for me! Will let you know when and if I receive the new laltop!

EDIT:
    Gave acer a call today and was told that the new laptop was approved but it would take them a few weeks to sort things out (find a laptop of the same or better specs than the one I orderered). Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 acerwarranty

Hi,

Do you have the ERM job reference for this case?

Many Thanks

Acer Warranty Ireland

• Advertisement

I will definitively not give the job ref online so that everyone sees it. I may send you a PM. How do I know you actualy work for acer and are not a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

regedit wrote:
    How do I know you actualy work for acer and are not a joke?

I just read this horror story now from start to finish and I would say that the words Acer and joke are interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Edit: the powers that be have agreed that anything that can be done to help regedit is A Good Thing.

Please don't post any information that will identify regedit, though.

As you were.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Hiya regedit

As Tom Dunne said, do not post any information publicly. Send it via pm or if you wish via myself.

Acerwarrenty does appear to be from Acer, certainly their email address confirms it, and thankfully does not appear to be yanking your chain:).

I hope they take the opportunity to sort this out double quick time, gaining a valued customer and maybe easing the minds of potential buyers.

V.

Hi,

Please email the case reference to admin@acerwarranty.co.uk and i will look into this case to see what has happened at the Acer UK and ER-Media LTD side of things to see if we can get this resolved with urgency.

Many Thanks

Acer Warranty

• Advertisement

Hi,

Please email the case reference to admin@acerwarranty.co.uk and i will look into this case to see what has happened at the Acer UK and ER-Media LTD side of things to see if we can get this resolved with urgency.

Many Thanks

Acer Warranty

I apologize for the lengthy post bellow!

Dear Acer warranty,
    Thanks for your kind offer.
    Will send you a PM after I explain here what has happened. I do not think thatyou can do anything more at this stage.
    Anyway
    As stated previously, Acer sent me a letter notifying me that they had decided to issued me with a replacement machine. I contacted them on the phone about 10 days ago or even less to ask them how long would this take. Was told that they were trying to source a laptop from the distributors which would match my current configuration or even exceed it. I decided to call the again yesterday.
    I spoke to a guy and after he brought up the details on screen, he said that the management had decided to give me a full refund (the reason was unknown to him). He said that the system indicated that ERMedia was to do that and that I should have received the cheque as it was sent on 2 February. I was encouraged to call ERMedia (I emphasize that all the calls during the past period were made from Ireland to UK by me from home). I contacted them and spoke to someone higher in the hierarchy. The guy explained that the repair turned out to be very messy and the chief engineer had decided that a new laptop should be sent out tome. At this stage, my laptop was not with them any longer but was shipped to Esplex. He was amazed why Acer would ask ERMedia (a service centre) to issue a cheque so he called a person in Escalations whom he knew in person to clarify the matter and than, he got back to it. After he did, I had to take a painkiller as I got a splitting headache after what he told me. Basically, he said that the manager of Escalations had told him that they were not issuing a replacement or a refund (as told in the morning) but wanted to repair the machine as they had the parts now! The guy at ERMedia was very apologetic and understanding BTW. I called Acer and asked the tech woman to ask the manager to call me back ASAP. I got a call soon after. The manager said nothing and I did most of the talking for the next 5-10 mins. At the end she said that everything was OK and that a refund order was approved by her and was with the finance dpt. When asked about the contradictory stories, it was blamed on this or that. It will take the finance dpt 7-10 (working) days to process the order and issue a cheque which will than be sent out to me!
    To make a long story short as there were details in between, I have ordered a new desktop PC today and I leave it to you to guess the brand.
    This was a very lengthy and nasty experience I had with Acer. I stumbled upon numerous barriers and walls. I was told that I was unlucky and was not speaking to the right people. As if I knew that person A or B existed in real life! The details from my HD are with Acer and they are unwilling bo send me the contents of My Documents in a few DVD as this is against some law!

I will post you the details of my acer job

Hi,

I can only apologise for the problems that you have been having and this is not normal. Unfortunately the Acer Ferrari models were made end of life and a whole new range was released, which are proving very difficult to get your hands on. As no stock was available the only thing that can be done is a refund.

Unfortunately, you have been unlucky to have got one of the few faulty laptops produced but electronics can fail.

I can only apologise for the time this has been going on and hopefully all will be resolved very shortly. I would assume that the documents on the hard drive can't be released for legal reasons.

Many Thanks

Acer Warranty

Man o man, this story is just one incredible saga of how a big company can give you the run around.

What did you buy ? as a matter of interest ?

Well it's put me off ever ever buying an ACER !!!

Hope the desktop goes better for you.

W

WillieDH wrote:
    Man o man, this story is just one incredible saga of how a big company can give you the run around.

What did you buy ? as a matter of interest ?

Well it's put me off ever ever buying an ACER !!!

Hope the desktop goes better for you.

W

Just got a Dell Dimension E521 AMD Athlon 64 X2 dektop PC. 1320 altogether. Ordered it on 13.2 at around 8 PM and yesterday at around the same time, it was shipped.

regedit wrote:
    Just got a Dell Dimension E521 AMD Athlon 64 X2 dektop PC. 1320 altogether. Ordered it on 13.2 at around 8 PM and yesterday at around the same time, it was shipped.

Fingers crossed you don't have any problems with it.

tom dunne wrote:
    Fingers crossed you don't have any problems with it.

Thanks Tom and everybody else.
    Just an update, the Manager of the escalations Team sent me a letter on the same day we spoke. I received the letter today. In it MK (initials of the manager) informed me that "The amount to be refunded considering depreciation is £839.96".

The price of the laptop was about 1100 £. I am wondering will I accept this or will I get on to her ("Should you wish to discuss this further...") and ask for the full amount.
    When I spoke to the operator on the first occasion, he indicated that the decision was made for a full refund.
    This just tells me more about "One of the biggest PC manufacturing companuies in the world"!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The figure offered seems fair to me, I'd probably take it and move on, why waste any more of your time dealing with them. Glad to hear you've finally gotten somewhere, sucks that it took so long

regedit wrote:
    The price of the laptop was about 1100 £. I am wondering will I accept this or will I get on to her ("Should you wish to discuss this further...") and ask for the full amount.

That's pathetic.

No gesture of goodwill, no worry about what this has done to Acer's reputation, no giving a toss about an alleged "valuable customer".

I would give it one last go - nothing too taxing, just one phonecall or one letter. If you get nowhere (and let's face it, you probably won't) just cut your losses.

I for one know what I am going to do. Watch my signature. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Very bad form by Acer not giving you a full refund. This saga just reinforces what I have heard about the quality of Acers support. I'd never consider buying one.

NO WAY !!!

Don't accept it, you will get a full refund if you go to the small claims court.

Time to go see a solicitor.

So much for Laptopsdirect and their commitment to look after Irish customers even though they don't have an office here !!!

Man I feel for you, what a joke.

I'm telling you write a letter to Ferrari !!!

• Advertisement

Hi,

Please remember under the Sales of Good Act the refund is actually meant to be between the customer and the reseller and not the manufacturer. Acer are doing a good will.

The Sales Of Good Act says:

"If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the goods, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit "

And Also:

"It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract"

Thanks

Acer Warranty

acerwarranty you are providing a text book example of how not to interact with customers.

I do appreciate you came here with good intentions and did attempt some form of remedy, but going on the defensive and quoting consumers laws are doing you no favours.

This should have been an exercise in damage limitation for Acer and one of managing customer perception. I don't believe either has been achieved here. You quote the Sale of Goods act stating that the contract is between the seller, not the manufacturer. Why then didn't somebody in customer service in Acer get onto Laptopsdirect and ask them what the hell was going on? Why didn't an Acer rep demand to know why Acer's name was being tarnished and why nothing was being done about it?

Despite my little rant, I do actually believe it is a good thing that you are posting on this forum. If you can prevent something like this happening again, then that can only be a good thing.

I will be closing this thread as I think it has run it's course. But I would welcome any comments you, or anyone else, may have before I do that.

Hi,

Acer is a reputable brand and this is a very rare case, one of the first I have seen of this complication with the refund. As I have mentioned to regedit personally, I will be looking into this as soon as possible to see what I can do. I can't guarantee anything but I will certainly do everything I can to help the customer.

I personally am very active in the forums, even though postings are not always made. I do hope that this matter is resolved with Acer once I see what I can do.

Thanks

Acer Warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

regedit wrote:
    At the samew time, got a letter from acer today to inform me that I did not take out an extended warranty with them (even though I forwarded them with the acknowledgement email which they send me when I registered for AcerAdvantage).
    That's rather interesting. Is this a screw-up Acer managed by themselves or is there any chance that the retailer has been pulling a fast one?

Just one final post and it may be time bor the mods to close this discussion.
    Namely, I contacted and in return was contacted by Acer Escalations requesting a full refund.
    Got a prompt reply this morning which I will copy paste. In it I stated that over 1000 persons got a chance to view posting on problems with acer on this board.
    Here is her reply:

Thank you for your feedback, we are always looking at ways to improve our service.

Unfortunately there are instances where we do fall short of customer expectation - errors do happen from time to time as I'm sure you can appreciate. May I point out that some of these forums have been in existence since 2004 and since then we have carried out approx 250,000 repairs in-house. Whilst I would have preferred these customers not to have experienced what they have, I can assure you that most of the individual's cases have been resolved amicably - unfortunately they do not inform the forum of this.

Please provide copies of the emails you have been sent from Acer personnel suggesting a refund and I will personally carry out further investigation.

Your refund will be as previously advised.

You are advised to address all Legal correspondence as follows:
    Mrs ************
    Esplex
    Unit M, Eagle Road
    Langage Business Park
    Plympton
    Plymouth
    Devon
    PL7 5JY

Many Thanks and Kindest Regards

regedit wrote:
    Just one final post and it may be time bor the mods to close this discussion.

I think so.
    regedit wrote:
    May I point out that some of these forums have been in existence since 2004 and since then we have carried out approx 250,000 repairs in-house. Whilst I would have preferred these customers not to have experienced what they have, I can assure you that most of the individual's cases have been resolved amicably - unfortunately they do not inform the forum of this.

Since 2004? WTF? I presume she is talking about some kind of Acer specific forum. Wouldn't we love that here? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I suppose if you posted up here email address and anyone here who wanted to sent her a mail along the lines of the following
    Having seen the way you have treated you customer, Mr Regedit, I will never consider buying from your company. I would also never make a recommendation to a friend or business associate to do so. I will also be putting a note to this effect in my forum signature and I will encourage others to do the same. Consider how many "key word" entries that will make, it will no doubt be picked up by the major search engines.
    It might have some impact.

Regedit has finally got a cheque from Acer.

It's unbelievable that it could take this long to sort out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement