Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on my rights

Options
  • 29-12-2006 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Acer Ferrari 4000 series. Purchased last January for about 1800 Eu! The laptop is a great performer and would play any game I got my hands on (not that I did oit often BTW). A few months after I got it, I noticed that the left button of the touchpad (equals the left button of the mouse) was not "catching" allways. This did not bother me a lot as I usualy use my laptop as a desktop replacement and I used my logitech mouse and keyboard instead. As I have a three year warranty on it, I decided to contact acer and ask them aboyt the place in Eire where I could send it for repair. I got tan email fro m them telling me that the place was ERM Media i the North. I filled in the form, described the fault and a few days later, they sent DHL to pick it up. (Forgot to mention that the bluetooth mouth was'nt working-the one they supplied). Anyway, after a good few days, I got my laptop back. It was onvious that they had changed the front sheeting plastic or rubber whatever around and bellow trhe keyboards as it did not contain the Win Xp and ATI sticker any more. I thought that was nothing. Anyway, Ilet uit to adjust to room temp for some 2 hours, powered it on, and noticed straight away that the touchpad was not repaired at all! Was upset of course. I got even more upset whenm I switched the network (wireless) button! Straight away the laptop froze! There was no BSD but nothging could be done but a hard reset. Not even the restart would work or even trying to manualy power of the wireless. The LED for the wireless was behaving strangely too. Sometimes it would not come on even though I knew it was working and on another case it was so weak as if it was dying!. The same thing was with Bluetooth. It froze the whole system. I formated the disk in the hope that it would get rid of any junk but it did not. I sent it back to ERM again (about 2 weeks ago) and they could not care less. Thei customer service is not the best. Finaly, I think on Xmas eve,. I called them to see when would I get my notebook back. Thistime the guy was pleasant and explained that they had ordered a mother board replacement from acer uk and that it arrived faulty so they had to order another one!
    From my point of view, this could take ages and I do not know if they can guarantee me that the notebook will work next time I get it back (probably after New Year). Can anyone give any advice if I have the right to a replacement if the "remedial" work is taking so long. For the past month, the laptop was more with them than with me. I mean, they could goon for months and repair something and something else go wrong again...
    Sorry for the lengthy post and for taking yout time people but I'm sure someone here will have a few good advice. BTW, the laptop was purchased from laptopsdirect.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Oh sweet Jaysus, you have my absolute sympathy - I endured an Acer repair process a few months ago. Basically it took weeks for ermedia to even collect it. So i brought it back to the shop instead (was lucky i bought it somewhere i could return it to!) Within the week of having it back, all of the USB ports failed completely and the motherboard had to be replaced AGAIN. Thankfully, it's still working *touch wood*, but the whole ordeal left me reeling - there's a post on it somewhere!

The consumer centre was a fantastic help but they advised I had no right to a temporary laptop while mine was being repaired. They also said that so long as the repair centre was waiting for parts theres feck all you can do :( They DID, however advise that a motherboard replacement would be considered a major component which would be the equivalentr of a full replacement laptop - but if it failed again that I should return it as it's not of merchantable quality.

Make a log of calls you make, and keep onto them, I insisted on calling them every few days for updates - it's surprising how often the status changes - I had waiting for parts, part in, part replaced (motherboard), ready to ship, then... wait for it... waiting for part, part in, part replaced (dvd drive front) - >:(

I still stand by Acer laptops as being beautiful machines, until something goes wrong.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think its after the 2nd or 3rd repair and it breaks again, that you are entitled to a replacement. That is with some electronics, not 100% sure with your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

I was on to ERMedia today again and was told that the parts had not arrived from UK yet. I am not even sure when they collected the laptop this time but it is definitively with them for way over 2 weeks. Hard to believe. I asked the chap who was OK what are my rights in the line of replacement but he said that he honestly did not know and that they are only a service centre and that I should call acer UK and see what they have to say! Does anyone have a contact email for acer.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You would be better calling them than waiting for an email. Their tech support email from the site is euro_mail@acer-euro.com
    There is a number +44 (0)870 853 1000, it does say calling from the UK though, but give it a try.

Ruu wrote:
    You would be better calling them that waiting for an email. Their tech support email from the site is euro_mail@acer-euro.com
    There is a number +44 (0)870 853 1000, it does say calling from the UK though, but give it a try.

Thanks for that Ruu

• Advertisement

wrote to Acer last night as one months has elapsed and I still did not getthe laptop back.
    It seems that someone is learning how to repair laptops on my machine.
    The reply is basicaly that they still do not have the part (this time the LCD cover). It would be good if someone can advise why should a LCD cover be replaced when the motherboard is replaced?
    "Acer are doing all they can to get the parts from the manufacturer"!!!
    They said that they are obliged to repair the laptop ASAP but do not give a timeframe. This is realy annoying.
    What can I do now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Say that you will have a solicitor on them if they do not have it back to you within a fortnight at most. That may quicken them a little bit...

It's a guess but it seems like you have reasonable with thema nd they have not been the same with oyu. I hope you get it back it back soon as that is a lovely looking laptop...

Fabio wrote:
    Say that you will have a solicitor on them if they do not have it back to you within a fortnight at most. That may quicken them a little bit...

It's a guess but it seems like you have reasonable with thema nd they have not been the same with oyu. I hope you get it back it back soon as that is a lovely looking laptop...

I would have no problem in doing so but I am sure they have learned by now about the bluff of calling a solicitor.
    Shame that we do not have the option of copy p[aste here as I would post the whole mail I got from acer!
    One thing I am sure though. Never in the future will I buy an acer product.
    If it takes them in excess of 30 days to repair a simple fault, how long does it take them for complex repairs! I think even though acer makes nice looking machines, they can not compeet with the likes of IBM/Lenovo, Toshiba, HP or Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In your warranty is there any clause about how long repairs will take before you are entitled to a replacement? Perhaps ask these guys abiut it?

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/

The timescale for repairs is a real problem with computers and laptops. its one of the reasons I've always liked to have a spare old compouter lying around. Its cheaper then paying for very good warranty if indeed such a thing actually exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

regedit wrote:
    Shame that we do not have the option of copy paste here as I would post the whole mail I got from acer!

CTRL+C = Copy

CTRL+V = Paste

Bypasses the no pasting thing in some browsers/boards windows. :D

• Advertisement

This is what Acer told me this afternoon after my distressed email I send them last night
    [FONT=verdana, courier new,courier,tahoma,sans-serif][SIZE=2] Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.  
    Regarding your enquiry, situations vary as each case is determined on its  
    own facts and the decision is made by the senior customer services team  
    called Escalations. Usually it a machine is gone a month it's unlikely to  
    be replaced as it's simply an unfortunate delay due to lack of spare  
    parts, since the typical time for repairs is expected to be 10-15 working  
    days a repair which is around 20 working days isn't (in my experience)  
    viewed as excessive. Certainly an inconveniance as any repair is for the  
    customer but by no means a worst case situation which allows for a  
    replacement. But as mentioned, this is something handled by a totally  
    different department than technical. Below are the contact details for  
    Escalations if you wish them to consider replacing the unit, once they get  
    your letter or fax they can investigate. 
    [SIZE=1]
    1. Post 
    Acer Customer Service Centre 
    UK Esplex Ltd 
    Unit M, Eagle Rd 
    Langage Business Park 
    Plympton 
    Plymouth 
    PL7 5JY 

2. Fax - 01752 319867 

Regards  

Chris 
    Acer Technical Support Team [/SIZE]   [/SIZE][/FONT]

My email posted to them lats night:
    [FONT=verdana, courier new,courier,tahoma,sans-serif][SIZE=2]        To:     [URL="http://www.mail2web.com/cgi-bin/compose.asp?mb=inbox&mp=I&mps=0&lid=0&intListPerPage=20&messageto=Euro_Mail@acer-euro.com&ed=0GiZ1En6DQXBOcCUP8t0A40kjI2w%2B3UQ5eDs3zZcLToS3wFLjPET2d6ixo8QBxdfbYg2feLgiQ6i%0D%0AfNpTD5KLk2KKTT%2FuO8%2FbOCFrzAxdqUvcxIWj8lNe6mJ4ATQx8OW8%2B9Bmo6uTjXA%3D"]Euro_Mail@acer-euro.com[/URL] 
            Subject:        Re: FAO: Customer Service Department 

Dear Paul, 
    Thanks for the prompt reply. 
    Could dou please explain, in what situations do Acer provide replacement 
    laptops? 
    For my standards, a period in excess of one month does not calculate as  
    "as soon as possible". If I had known that the service centre would damage the machine so much that it will basicaly need to be repaired totaly 
    (motherboard being the central part of the notebook) but I would have held on to it. 
    I rang ERMedia today and was told that they would try and ship the machine 
    tomorrow as the MB (the defective part has arrived on Monday) and was 
    promised that someone would fit it today, test it and even try and ship it 
    this evening. Now there is mention from your side of the need to fit the 
    LCD cover and a further delay. 
    From you e-mail, it is transparent to me (from an uneducated point) that 
    you re in the position to mess around with a customer who paid deerly for  
    a 
    machine and justify the actions as need to wait for parts! What it waiting 
    for the part(s) lasts another week or so? I suppose that is also 
    justifiable (as is the lack of communication -barr this email). 
    I have had a PC since 1995 and during this period have had a few glitches 
    (some due to my error and some due to the sensitive nature of the  
    hardware) 
    but have never come accross such delay and provision of misleading 
    information. 
    As you say, I will indeed do what I have and what I think should be done.  
    I 
    do not have much in my hand but in may forums, newsgroups etc where I am a 
    member, I can inform the readers about the standards of Acer product and 
    the service department. 

Kind regards,[/SIZE][/FONT]

And this is wht Acer told me yesterday when I asked for a new machine:
    [FONT=verdana, courier new,courier,tahoma,sans-serif][SIZE=2]Dear Customer, 

Regarding your enquiry,  

The warranty itself does not state repair times only that we will repair  
    the machine as soon a possible. In the case of your repair I'm sorry it is  

taking longer than expected however Acer are doing all it can to get the  
    parts from the manufacturer as quickly as possible. Currently the  
    mainboard has arrived and is awaiting fitting however we are also waiting  
    for the LCD cover to complete the repair. Once this cover arrives it will  
    be fitted and the machine sent back to yourself. 

Anything you do your own decision and is out of the control of Acer.  
    Anything we do is already stated in the warranty booklet supplied with the  
    machine. 
    Any further questions then please respond to this e-mail with the full  
    history. 

Regards  
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

My next step, using other's PC is to write an email do this Escalations Dpt (sounds more secretive than the NSA) and demand a new machine from them.
    And the rest od the saga, rang ERMedia this afternoon and they said that "some plastic" was fitted (obviously he meant the LCD cover) and that they will try to fit the MoBo but could not say when as their testing sometimes goes on for 3 days. This means that there is no chance I will get my laptop in another week!
    The interesting thing in the web site of the Consumer's association is that they say that my contract is with the vendor (laptopsdirect.ie who are obviously registered in Ireland) and not the manufacturer so I intend in getting them involved in the mess next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Fair play for sticking with this. Hope you get it all set and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Really hope you eventually get this mess sorted, I'm surprised acer are so bad, from what I've read normally they are one of the better makes when it comes to support. It's a lot of money to spend on a laptop so it sucks big time when you're not getting what you paid for on reliability side and on the support side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

If you had bought from a shop here in Ireland, you could have gotten this sorted before now.

Downside of using a UK on line vendor, what you saved in price you are losing in being messed around.

Don't forget by the way that your contract is not with ACER it's with laptopsdirect.co.uk ( or .ie as they title themselves here to make it seem oirish )

WillieDH wrote:
    If you had bought from a shop here in Ireland, you could have gotten this sorted before now.

Downside of using a UK on line vendor, what you saved in price you are losing in being messed around.

Don't forget by the way that your contract is not with ACER it's with laptopsdirect.co.uk ( or .ie as they title themselves here to make it seem oirish )

Lesson leaned.
    I am aware that that my contract is with the vendor so waiting on the reply of Escalations tomorrow. If they ignore me, I will get laptopsdirect involved straight away! I have threatened the senior customer sales dpt that I intend in contacting laptopsdirect and involving a slicitor for the smal claims court (loss of revenue during the period I did/do not hve the laptop).
    Gave the mail to read to a friend yesterday and he thought it was preety clear to him (and it should to Acer) that I am upset and that i am serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

regedit wrote:
    I have threatened the senior customer sales dpt that I intend in contacting laptopsdirect and involving a slicitor for the smal claims court (loss of revenue during the period I did/do not hve the laptop).

Hmmm, I'm not sure how effective this would be. Under their terms and conditions, they are subject to UK law, so they probably don't even know what the Small Claims court is. Even if they did, I doubt they would be subject to it.

TBH, I used to be all for laptopsdirect, but they have really gone down in my estimation. They had a great chance to make an impact and blew it.

For the ones who want to read the story,
    Rang ERM media 2day and asked was the motherboard fitted. I got n answer from the other side that the hard disk was damaged also and would need replacement. I asked does that mean that my data on D were damaged and he said "Yes, most likely". Afte I started shouting at the poor guy, he said that he would ask if the data could be transferred to the new drive He came back to me telling me that this would incurr a charge of 25 pounds.
    I asked to speak to someone more senior and they confirmed the initial story!
    I asked them were they tyhrowing the HD around or what were they doing to it and he replied that they subjected it to strenuous tests! The reason- unknown.
    Anyway, they have ordered a new HD and will fit is as soon as it arrived from mainand UK. When this will be - unknown.
    I threatened him with bad press and he replied that I should be carefull in what I do and what I say as Acer is one of the bigest manufacturers of PC in the world and has its own solicitors...
    As far as I am concerned, I will keep this Acer machine when I get it back as I do not have other choice but one thing I do have a choice and that is to stay away from Acer for as long as I am alive regardless of what they produce and whatever the price.
    A manufacturer that considers itself one of the largest(!) does not allow for such blunders.
    As for the escalations, well I have not heard from them yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

[FONT=verdana, courier new,courier,tahoma,sans-serif]The warranty itself does not state repair times only that we will repair
    the machine as soon a possible.
    [/FONT]
    I got that line too. They broke my DVD cover while they were replacing the motherboard too. Acer repair people seem to be a bunch of club-fisted clutzes.

Here's a reply I got from Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs when I had the same problem last year. They recommended I go to the Small Claims Court. Completing the Application Form.

Dear Sir or Madam:

Thank you for your complaint concerning a computer.

I wish to advise you that the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act,
    1980 gives various rights to consumers, in particular, that:

Goods should be of:
    · Merchantable quality, and that it is
    · Fit for their purpose and
    · As described.

Where these conditions are not met or the item faulty, you may be
    entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. The redress should be
    offered within a reasonable length of time. If the goods are not faulty,
    then unfortunately the consumer is not entitled to any redress. Also a
    consumer is not entitled to a replacement product while the original is
    in for repair. If you feel that the situation is going on to long, you
    may want to take the matter further, namely to the Small Claims Court.

The Small Claims Procedure is a cheap (€15), quick and informal
    mechanism for handling consumer complaints without involving a solicitor
    for claims up to €2,000.

The role of the Office of the Director Consumer Affairs is to give
    information and guidance to consumers on their statutory rights. The
    ODCA does not intervene or become involved in individual issues or
    disputes between consumers and sellers of goods or services providers.

Thank you for contacting the ODCA and I hope you find this information
    helpful.

Yours sincerely,

Hope that helps! ;)

B

It is what it's.

oneweb wrote:
    I got that line too. They broke my DVD cover while they were replacing the motherboard too. Acer repair people seem to be a bunch of club-fisted clutzes.

Here's a reply I got from Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs when I had the same problem last year. They recommended I go to the Small Claims Court. Completing the Application Form.

Hope that helps! ;)

B

Thanks oneweb. I think I am going that way.
    As for the repair centre contracted by Acer (ERMedia), in my oppinion, they are very unprofessional as it took them ages to get dpown to the job and even when they did so, they seemed (to me) to damage component after component!
    It has been agreed that the next laptop will be purchased in Ireland and no way via web shops!
    Acer will definitively not be on my broad list ever again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

if you buy it in Ireland all they'll do is send it out for repair. Why do you think that will be different?

• Advertisement

What would be different is

a) He could lodge a claim in the IRISH small claims court

b) He could stand inside the shop and demand his rights, his contract is with the supplier, not the maker of the computer

W

Finaly got a reply from Acer:
    [FONT=verdana, courier new,courier,tahoma,sans-serif] Dear Mr *******,

Thank you for your letter dated the 13th January,

Please accept our apologies, we are sorry hear that our company has not
    met your expectations, our aim is to provide a quality service to current
    and future customers and deliver and provide customer care that will at
    the very least exceed their expectations.

The Sales of Goods Act is a contract under this act is between you and the
    reseller that you purchased your unit from. Therefore it would be the
    resellers responsibility to ensure they have complied with this contract.
    You can seek more advice on this matter at www.oft.gov.uk.

You state you have taken out the 3 year extended warranty; I have checked
    our system and cannot locate this information, from this I am lead to
    believe that you have not registered the warranty, if you have registered
    this and have the confirmation please could you send this to us for
    further investigation, however if you have not registered this please
    register this at your earliest convenience, using our online registration
    service www.aceradvantage.com.

With reference to your request for a replacement machine, as a warranty
    repair our intention is to repair all faulty products, if your machine is
    repairable and all the parts are available we will repair rather than
    replace, this is our company policy and applies in all cases. Please be
    advised that all our repair times are subject to availability of spare
    parts.

Please do not hesitate to contact us on 0870 853 1000, selecting option 2
    for Customer Services, or should you wish to send a fax our number is
    01752 319867.
    Please quote the above complaint reference number in all cases.

Yours Sincerely

Lucy Trewin
    Customer Complaints

Customer Complaints
    Tel: 0870 853 1000
    www.acer.co.uk
    Opening hours are:
    Monday ? Friday,
    09.00am ? 12.30pm
    13.00pm ? 18.00pm

Please reply with full history when responding to this e-mail. [/FONT]

I replied straight away that I had taken ut the insurance and prrovided them with the confirmation email.

In the meantime, I was informed by ERMedia that they were waiting for the delivery of a CPU for my laptop! I do not know what is best.
    The most striking part is when Acer says that their mission is to exceed our expectations!

Proves acer don't give a ****.

A while back some manager from Laptopsdirect posted a mail here saying they were committed to irish customers blah blah blah, gave his email address.

Perhaps Tom Dunne can dig it out for you as the guy gave his personal email address.

W

WillieDH wrote:
    Proves acer don't give a ****.

A while back some manager from Laptopsdirect posted a mail here saying they were committed to irish customers blah blah blah, gave his email address.

Perhaps Tom Dunne can dig it out for you as the guy gave his personal email address.

W

Thanks for that. I sent Nick Glynne from Laptopsdirect and email this evening (Sunday) and he replied 10 minutes later saying that I would be contacted by the Operations Manager...
    You never know.

Even if I get a new laptop, the potential buyers should in the lookout as I do not think I can bear the thought of having an Acer any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

regedit wrote:
    Thanks for that. I sent Nick Glynne from Laptopsdirect and email this evening (Sunday) and he replied 10 minutes later saying that I would be contacted by the Operations Manager...
    You never know.

Yeah, it was Nick who posted here a while back. I did PM him, but I think I scared him off. He seems genuine enough, let's hope he can do something for you. Post back and let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

fuppin' ridiculous tbh... they've basically replaced every component in the laptop by now, sorry to hear your trouble OP, acer laptops look lovely, but i dont think ill be buying one anytime soon after hearing about your troubles

kdouglas wrote:
    fuppin' ridiculous tbh... they've basically replaced every component in the laptop by now, sorry to hear your trouble OP, acer laptops look lovely, but i dont think ill be buying one anytime soon after hearing about your troubles

The CPU has arrived today I was told by ERM edia (even though the guy said that he shouldn't be tellingme this) and he said hopefuly this solves the problems!

Contacted laptopsidirect today and the guy I spoke to (Stephen) ang me back having contacted Acer. He said that the chances that I would get a new machine ar 80%. Nothing new from ERMedia in the meantime as usual!

Any update on this story ?

• Advertisement

still nothing believe it or not. This tells you a LOT aboutthe company I am dealing with. I contacted laptopsidirect and they said thatthere was a request in place for a replacement machine. This was about 10 days ago. Rang acer uk a few times and they keep saying that they are waiting for the management to decide! I am supposed o ring them back on Tuesday (God forbid that they might ring)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement