Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums of the year 2006 - The top ten as voted by you

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

JC 2K3 wrote:
    It's not a bad album, not a great album, but it's certainly not Alt/Indie.
    I would describe them as alt-rock, as does their wikipedia page.

You may not think it a great album, but I would consider it certainly better than any of the ten that made the list.

*edit* forgot another album - Andrew WK - Close Calls With Brick Walls. Not as good as I Get Wet, but better than The Wolf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

hmm... If I wanted to discuss them I'd go to Rock/Metal personally....

It's better than the albums I've heard from that list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well it's your opinion I guess, but, without going into details, Citizen Erased for me is a masterpiece, Kinghts of Cydonia doesn't even come close.

Oh believe me, I do think Citizen Erased is a masterpiece, but theres just something about Knights of Cydonia thats just....amazing. Everything about that song is just perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

When I was reading through the list I was a bit disappointed, thinking - no Muse! and then I was pleasantly surprised.

I don´t think it´s my favourite album of theirs, that´s still OOS but I do love it and they are fantastic live!

...and I´m 26

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'll third that. Muse are sh*te. Every time I hear that song I think it's Keane. Muse are prob grand if you're 17

Yes and 21, and 24, and 30 and so on. If you have actually bothered to listen to more than the one song you're referencing then you'd know that their overall sound is proably the furthest thing from Keane. I don't understand how you can claim that probably the most talented group of musicians around are 'sh*te'. They may not be to your particular tastes but your immaturity in that comment makes me think that you fall into that 17 year old category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Great to see Muse at #1 where they belong. I do take people's point about being intially horrified by BhaR, I was too when I first heard Supermassive Black Hole. But the true test of a great album is: Does it stand up to repeated listenings six, nine months later? Years later? This one definately does. It's a true grower and I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Great to see Muse at #1 where they belong. I do take people's point about being intially horrified by BhaR, I was too when I first heard Supermassive Black Hole. But the true test of a great album is: Does it stand up to repeated listenings six, nine months later? Years later? This one definately does. It's a true grower and I love it.

It's only been out six months, how do you know if it stands up to years of repeated listening? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

By repeating it over and over in your head 'til you somehow believe it, and think anyone who doesn't is clearly just not listening properly damnit!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Musically, it's the least complex and unique album they've made.

Any chance you can tell us who else made it close, John? Top 20 or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Sure:
    11. David Kitt, "Not Fade Away"
    12. TV on the Radio, "Return to Cookie Mountain"
    13. Joanna Newsom, "Ys"
    14. Eagles of Death Metal, "Death by Sexy"
    15. The Decemberists, "Crane Wife"
    16. The Sunshine Underground, "Raise the Alarm"
    17. Comets on Fire, "Avatar"
    18. Albert Hammond Jr, "Yours To Keep"
    19. Pearl Jam, "Pearl Jam"
    20. The Pipettes, "We Are the Pipettes"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I'm surprised Broken Boy Soldiers wasn't on the list, let alone the top 20!
    Then again I didn't vote so I can't complain.
    It was a 2006 release wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I will never love any song like i do Citizen Erased, it is the ultimate. And i think OOS is by far there best album, but absoulution was crap but BHanR was great.

Also pleased Meds is in there, its my second fave out of theirs behind black market music. Great album, Infra red and Follow the Cops are brilliant songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

the slack being given to muse isnt ridiculous, they showed diversity alright, but didnt pull it off. it was a definite drop in quality from previous almus, as much as i like BHaR, it is not the best album of the year. at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

muse at #1 is a shame. the album and the singles/videos are literally stupid. seriously. =\

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

muse at #1 is a shame. the album and the singles/videos are literally stupid. seriously.

Yeah, stoopid videos always reflect on an album:rolleyes:

Thats a new one, hearing it being called "stupid". Care to explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

hmm..i only own three of the top 20 ("Meds", "The Eraser" and "We Are The Pippettes") ive heard great things about CSS,must check out that album.
    for me,the best album of 2006 HAS to be The Long Blondes "Someone To Drive You Home" EVERYONE should buy a copy......im very surprised it didnt figure in the top 20.likewise FORWARD,RUSSIA! "Give Me A Wall" and Sonic Youth "Rather Ripped"...anyone else agree???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

When i first heard Meds, i nearly cried, i was that dissapointed....But after a while it really grows on you and i think its their best album to date.

Same applys with BHAR, i thought it was muck but i cant stop listening to it now, Knights of Cydonia is breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

John wrote:
    It's only been out six months, how do you know if it stands up to years of repeated listening? :confused:

Because even after six months, I still look forward to it every time I put it in. Nothing sounds tired, nothing gets skipped. It's the same feeling I've had with every other album that gets years of play for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

The best album released was "Boys And Girls In America" by The Hold Steady . It's a damn travesty it's not in there somewhere . Quite possibly the best "alt/indie" (what is that ? No-one's indie anymore) band around .

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Black Holes.. is easily number 1 in this. What a great album.

• Advertisement
Advertisement