Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums of the year 2006 - The top ten as voted by you

Options
  • 27-12-2006 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

So the results are in and in reverse order, lots of interesting albums voted for but many only got one vote due to the open ended nature of the vote. However there was a general consensus as to what were great albums this year. Instead of an album of the week, here are the top ten albums of 2006 as voted by the users of this forum, feel free to debate away.

10 - Cansei de Ser Sexy, "Cansei de Ser Sexy":
    Released in July, this is a surprise entry as I've never heard of them.

9 - Beirut, "Gulag Orkestar":
    This came out in May and I still haven't gotten around to hearing it yet. Reports have been favourable.

8 - Mogwai, "Mr. Beast":
    This one came out in March and was also an album of the week (link here).

7 - Placebo, "Meds":
    The fifth album from Placebo was also released in March. Not a fan of this album myself but there's a strong following for it here on this forum.

6 - Damien Rice, "9":
    The long, long awaited second album from Damien Rice came out only last month but even in this short time it's proved to be both great and popular with the kids.

5 - Thom Yorke, "The Eraser":
    Thom Yorke's first solo album hit the shops in July. This also was an album of the week (link here).

4 - Tool, "10,000 Days":
    This may not be "technically" an alternative or an indie album but it got a lot of votes and is a great album so I think it deserves to be included. Released in May.

3 - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, "The Letting Go":
    The only album that I voted for that made the top ten, this is one of my favourite albums of the year. It came out in September and was an album of the week (link here).

2 - Arctic Monkeys, "Whatever You Say I Am, That's What I'm Not":
    Surprisingly, this wasn't our number one. I was expecting this to win by a landslide but maybe the hype train has passed on. A fine album that was raved about at the time but now seems to have been forgotten. It came out all the way back in January and was the second ever album of the week (link here).

And finally,

1 - Muse, "Black Holes and Revelations":
    This came out in July and was another album of the week (link here). It didn't do much for me apart from the first single off it but the majority of people here would disagree with me (how dare they!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

So, how do you feel about this list? Anything you'd take out? Anything you'd add in? What gross miscarriage of musical justice do you see?

Also, the winner of the grand prize* (a voucher for Road Records) is: TheMonster.

*it's not THAT grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Foo Fighters-Skin and Bones

but im not sure if live albums count?

They count but no one voted for that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The right album won. Fantastic effort from the best band in the world, both live and on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I'm disappointed Tool isn't higher, but it's understandable considering they aren't technically Indie, but it's just the Arctic Monkeys being higher than them that really grinds my gears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I can't believe Damien Rice made this list. A gross miscarriage of musical justice if I ever saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I'm disappointed Tool isn't higher, but it's understandable considering they aren't technically Indie, but it's just the Arctic Monkeys being higher than them that really grinds my gears.

Agreed. Meds should be higher aswell

A good list overall though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I seem to be the only one disapointed with 'Meds'.Its certainly a far cry from their sometimes brilliant work on 'Nothing Else Matters'.I also found the Arctic Monkey's and Muse albums had little replay value.

At least Thom Yorke got in there. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

What I've heard of the new Muse album is shíte compared to anything else they've done. I've really lost respect for them and that album does not deserve to be no. 1 on that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I own only two from that list (#8 and #3) and neither would be in my top three albums of 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 stpehenmc03

JC 2K3 wrote:
    What I've heard of the new Muse album is shíte compared to anything else they've done. I've really lost respect for them and that album does not deserve to be no. 1 on that list.

I'll second that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

The Muse album was one of the most inventive, exciting and interesting things I heard all year. I would have lost a lot of respect for them if they'd taken the easy route and just made Absolution II; Black Holes may require repeated listens but it's definitely worth it.

That's cool that Cansei de Ser Sexy made the list - I've only heard a couple of their songs but really liked them so going to go get the album in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

No surprises really. At least BPB made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Disappointing. BhaR was Muse's worst album to date. They popped it up and as a result got huge recognition but it's nowhere near the quality of Absolution or Origin of Symmetry.

Arctic Monkeys would have the hype going against them in this forum, I would imagine but it was a better album than Muse's.

Thom Yorke should've gotten higher imo, although it wasn't quite as good as Hail to the Thief or most of Radiohead's albums it was still a better album than the top 2.

The notable absence for me in the top 10 was Joanna Newsom. I was expecting her to do much better than she did, for a while she was in the running but over the last couple of days of the vote got shoved out of it. I didn't vote for her album but I really thought she would have had more support than she did.

As for Muse, as I said above, I think it's a pretty disappointing album but lots and lots of people seem to like it and the majority rules in this case. Next year I'm going to have a veto :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Shockin'. And I *really* don't like that Beirut album.

How was the winner chosen?

I had a numbered list of those who submitted their top threes and I then went to this random number generator site and set the numbers to suit the number of entrants and there we go. That reminds me, I never PM'd the winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Good list, dont thin kthe arctic monkeys should have been so high, and I dont like the Placebo album at all. Have to get that Tool album, not even heard anything off it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

All the slack being given to Muse for the album is ridiculous. Again they showed their diversity and musical talent by not merely just copying what they had previously done in other releases. Starlight is one of the best songs of the year and anyone who has seen them play the album live will appreciate it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Orizio wrote:
    I seem to be the only one disapointed with 'Meds'.Its certainly a far cry from their sometimes brilliant work on 'Nothing Else Matters'.I also found the Arctic Monkey's and Muse albums had little replay value.

At least Thom Yorke got in there. ;)
    Er... don't you mean "Without You I'm Nothing"? :p

For me, it was a disappointing year for albums. I heard lots of good singles, went out and bought the albums, and was then horribly disappointed with the result. CSS and Muse both fall into that category, but I guess the fact that they had multiple good-quality singles put them in the list at least.

My own personal album of the year was AFI's "DECEMBERUNDERGROUND". At face value, AFI are a shouty / screamy emo-punk band that a lot of people find easy to detest. However, despite their overall image, DECEMBERUNDERGROUND was a very intelligent, mature, and multi-layered album which managed to avoid most of their negative tendencies. It was just about the only album that turned out to be better than I expected once I got my hands on it.

Lostprophets' "Liberation Transmission" and Audioslave's "Revelations" were also albums that had some great singles, but proved disappointing overall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

I really liked Meds... I thought it was a very good album, a lot more grown up than some of their other stuff... I think there is only one song on that album I don't listen to the second last one, Pure Morning or something like that is it...

I was disappointed with Thom Yorkes... As an avid Radiohead fan, I was expecting a lot more... The Eraser and Black Swan are quite good but not what I was expecting... Which, I guess, would be music to the man's ears... Go figure

Xavi6 wrote:
    All the slack being given to Muse for the album is ridiculous. Again they showed their diversity and musical talent by not merely just copying what they had previously done in other releases. Starlight is one of the best songs of the year and anyone who has seen them play the album live will appreciate it more.
    Starlight just sounds like generic, radio friendly stuff to me. Even the revered Knights of Cydonia does little for me. I mean this is the same band that did Citizen Erased and Stockholm Syndrome....

Diversity? They just gave themselves a more accessible sound....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

mr_angry wrote:
    Er... don't you mean "Without You I'm Nothing"? :p

For me, it was a disappointing year for albums. I heard lots of good singles, went out and bought the albums, and was then horribly disappointed with the result. CSS and Muse both fall into that category, but I guess the fact that they had multiple good-quality singles put them in the list at least.

My own personal album of the year was AFI's "DECEMBERUNDERGROUND". At face value, AFI are a shouty / screamy emo-punk band that a lot of people find easy to detest. However, despite their overall image, DECEMBERUNDERGROUND was a very intelligent, mature, and multi-layered album which managed to avoid most of their negative tendencies. It was just about the only album that turned out to be better than I expected once I got my hands on it.

Lostprophets' "Liberation Transmission" and Audioslave's "Revelations" were also albums that had some great singles, but proved disappointing overall.

Yeah I knew I got that wrong but you can hardly blame me, Placebo and Metallica sound so god damn alike...;)

The general trend in music these days seem to be that artists can make great tracks but not great albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Orizio wrote:
    The general trend in music these days seem to be that artists can make great tracks but not great albums.

Kids these days don't have the attention span for albums these days with their shuffly mp7 whatnots and 'Date rape a cebrity ape' etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

No Luxembourg or Hope Of The States, poor form guys, poor form

I didnt know about it, so I didnt vote:o

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

I'll second that.

I'll third that. Muse are sh*te. Every time I hear that song I think it's Keane. Muse are prob grand if you're 17

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Missed the vote, but the new Pearl Jam album was my album of the year. First time I've gotten into a Pearl Jam album in about a decade.

Its a total grower of an album, and can be overlooked on just one listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Definately good to see Muse album up there at No. 1. Definately my favourite album of the year. Absolution is their worst album IMO. Black Holes could even be the best one for me, maybe not though. Knights of Cydonia has even taken over Citizen Erased as their best song for me.

Other albums that might have made it in there(not sure were they on the list or whatever) might have been Albert Hammond Jr. solo album. Just got it the other day and its really good, very easy to listen to. Another album I like is The Blood Arm, Lie Lover Lie. Just very easy to listen to again

I'll third that. Muse are sh*te. Every time I hear that song I think it's Keane. Muse are prob grand if you're 17
    Ugh, I'm 17 and I'm the one who you're third-ing...

Ageism.... :mad:
    Mushy wrote:
    Knights of Cydonia has even taken over Citizen Erased as their best song for me.
    *Shakes head.

Well it's your opinion I guess, but, without going into details, Citizen Erased for me is a masterpiece, Kinghts of Cydonia doesn't even come close.

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Missed the vote, but the new Pearl Jam album was my album of the year. First time I've gotten into a Pearl Jam album in about a decade.

Its a total grower of an album, and can be overlooked on just one listen.
    It's not a bad album, not a great album, but it's certainly not Alt/Indie.

Advertisement