Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi S3 arriving shortly...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

Just out of interest Mark, what amount of insurance are you paying on her?

MarkN wrote:
    Have a look at used S3s on Carzone, it's taken 6 years for them to lose 30k. :)

Requesting hardcore engine bay shots plz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Mark you know as well as I do that asking price and selling price are not the same thing. And carzone.ie is the perfect example of that!

Are they single pot calipers I see on the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

So mark, now that you've had the car for a week, what's it like compared to the GTI? Have you got used to the Quattro system? I found my old S4 had a bit of oversteer for a brief second before the rear grip kicked in, then it felted like it was on rails and lightening acceleration from the lights! Ahh. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭MarkN

Gatster wrote:
    I would reckon if you can afford €58k on an (admittedly gorgeous) new S3 yearly tax on a 3.2 wouldn't really matter. In the OP's position, I'd have gone for an R32 because I'm not massively keen on turbo engines, or at a push a 130i m-sport but each to his own, it's still a lovely motor. Fair play MarkN, enjoy it :)

Like I've said, after two MKV GTIs, the R32 apart from an engine note, felt like just sitting in another one.

And fair enough you like the 1 series but the S3 is the better car, engine note aside.

It's different to the GTI for sure. There's a bit more turbo lag but once you get it over 2k it goes mental. Add in the Quattro and you can clear a roundabout and be half way down the road while other cars are still indicating for the 2nd exit. I haven't made it step out of line at all yet and it seems like you'd really need to be provoking it. Haven't seen the traction light flash once in 800 kms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted By MarkN
    after two MKV GTIs, the R32 apart from an engine note,
    Can definitely see your point, I've sat in both - a change is as good as a rest and all that jazz ;) I'm a sucker for RWD and big engines, woe is me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

MarkN wrote:
    I haven't made it step out of line at all yet and it seems like you'd really need to be provoking it. Haven't seen the traction light flash once in 800 kms.
    Now that is impressive....given the recent damp greasy surfaces and the power you have to play with. Says a lot for 4wd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

Not comparing the 2 cars but that interior is almost identical to the new Octavia vRS.

See link for vRS pics.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/gallery/?model=1437&img=archive/Skoda/Octavia%20vRS%20(05-)/IMG_6705.JPG

I think the Octy is more like the GTI than the Audi. They share some identical switches.. Skoda interiors have come a LONG way but sitting in the two cars you'd notice the difference in the materials used.

They all use the same pedals though!

MarkN wrote:
    I think the Octy is more like the GTI than the Audi. They share some identical switches.. Skoda interiors have come a LONG way but sitting in the two cars you'd notice the difference in the materials used.

They all use the same pedals though!

Agree the material in the S3 is superior but just looking at the vRS and the S3 they are very similar in colour combo and layout.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

omega man wrote:
    Not comparing the 2 cars but that interior is almost identical to the new Octavia vRS.

See link for vRS pics.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/gallery/?model=1437&img=archive/Skoda/Octavia%20vRS%20(05-)/IMG_6705.JPG

have to disagree with this, they are slightly similar but far from almost identical...

Dasilva94 - my insurance is €1500 fully comp with step back. 4 points, 6 years NCB.

The square wheel is an optional extra, it's less than 300 quid and something I wanted but this S3 I took was a stock car. Apart from that and BOSE the car was the spec/colour that I wanted so I wasn't gonna wait 3 months for the extras.

Mark. would love to know as you are a proud new S3 owner and having come from the gti mkv what you think of the the reviews below?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/203837/audi_s3.html

http://www.channel4.com/4car/di/audi/s3/3614/1

I'd love to ask a few of these journalists what they like sooooooooooo much about the GTI.

I had two of them, covered almost 40,000kms in them (far more than any of these journalists).

And my opinion of them..

Negative:

Engine ran out of steam too early.

Power in the wet was not the best due to wheel hop and lack of traction.

Standard spec was below average.

Brakes could've been better.

VW build quality - trim broke off the first GTI I had within days of taking delivery.

Gearbox was not as precise as it could've been.

Positives:

It looked great with the 18s.

Seats grabbed you in place.

Engine note not bad at all.

Steering was very in touch with the driver.

Steering racks on both cars were dodgy - one was replaced and the second car I judt didn't bother due to the mess MSL Pottery Rd made of it. Dashboard trim broken etc

In comparison and a lot of the reviews have mentioned most of these:

The S3 goes like it's on rails, Quattro assisted or not, the car is far more driveable in Irish weather conditions than any GTI.

It would've been nice for Audi to flare the arches like they did with the last S3.

As for turbo lag, it's not something that is as big a problem as they write. Sure, it exists but saying nothing happens below 2,500 rpm is just a lie.

The steering at very low speeds is too light I agree.

I can't say I feel any less involved driving one car over the other. The S3 just lets you enjoy the power in any conditions.

The seats in the S3 could have better bolsters, Audi skimped on that one for sure - the last model had Recaro seats worth over €4,000 when putting them in to a MKIV GTI for example, as standard.

Do I miss the GTI? No way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You had 2 mk 5 GTi's? And only 20k kms in each? Would you not have kept the first one for 2 years instead?

Am I not allowed or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

omega man wrote:
    Mark. would love to know as you are a proud new S3 owner and having come from the gti mkv what you think of the the reviews below?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/203837/audi_s3.html

http://www.channel4.com/4car/di/audi/s3/3614/1

The real eye-opener in the channel 4 review was the price: £26k! And 58k euro here! Holy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

MarkN is right here guys, there is no way you can compare the GTI and the S3. there is light years between them. the R32 is the S3 competitor.

MarkN wrote:
    Am I not allowed or something? :confused:
    I'm not suggesting what anyone should or shouldn't do, so long as it doesn't affect me! :)
    Best of luck to ya if you can afford to do that, you obviously have a very good job, and fair play to ya for getting it. I'm just surprised because it would actually probably save you money to put a few more kms and keep it a while longer on a trade in, but none of my business.
    Still though, in fairness... the S3 should be a lot better than the GTi, it's €20,000 more expensive. Thats a lot more. Surely you can't criticise your Mk 5 Gti's for lacking in the driving experience considering the price bracket they're in. Plus, compare them to the rather mundane Mk 4 Gti.

davebirl wrote:
    MarkN is right here guys, there is no way you can compare the GTI and the S3. there is light years between them. the R32 is the S3 competitor.
    Exactly. It's like people who compare the octavia against the passat. Different cars.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, the MKIV GTI. Had one of them too.. less said the better. :D

Nah I know what you're saying Biro but for me I like keeping the cost of change as low as possible and for me, changing regularly in the past did that. I have less money tied up in the car than would buy you a bog standard 1.4 Golf. I couldn't afford to have bought the car if I had to borrow 58K for it, it's not a 911 or a Ferrari at the end of the day!

There's not much point comparing the S3 to the GTI anyway, the R32 is the competitor. If it had the same engine as the S3 the reviews comparing the two might not be so pro R32... I dunno. The R32 is a pretty special car too though.

The R32 sounds SAVAGE on full chat, you really have to hear one for yourself but like I've said, I reckon an S3 will sell a lot easier than a 3.2 engined car in the ROI.

There's *only* €5,000/6000 between the two of them IIRC. Standard the R costs about €46k and the S3 is just under €52,000.

Thought as much! These guys take the car for a few hours if even that. Dont think you could even compare the gti and s3, the r32 maybe but even that has the 3.2 v6 lump. The new leon cupra will have the same engine with 240bhp fwd and the mazda 3 mps will be fitted with a 2.3 265bhp but fwd only also. Basically there is nothing in the S3's class in terms of like for like comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I thought the MPS was 4WD, maybe only the saloon version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I thought the MPS was 4WD, maybe only the saloon version.

3 mps is only FWD

the 6 mps is 4WD! ......what a car :eek:

3 MPS is only coming in 5 door, which is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

C_Breeze wrote:
    3 mps is only FWD

the 6 mps is 4WD! ......what a car :eek:

Slightly OT but reviews of the Mazda 3 MPS so far have been disappointing, they said it should have been given 4WD like the 6 MPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

MarkN wrote:
    Dasilva94 - my insurance is €1500 fully comp with step back. 4 points, 6 years NCB.

can you tell me where you are getting insured? Im getting ripped off!!!!!!!!!!

Howaya Ando.. I got it down another few quid since that post. It's €1485 and now have full bonus protection with two unlimited claims (hope I don't need them!).

Goggin insurance..8724444

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ElCapitano

Just wondering where you got your reg plates from mark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Very nice car!

...but you're in your mid-20's right? And this car is nearly 60k? I don't get it.

Advertisement