Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A poxy christmas

Options
  • 24-12-2006 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Well, I finished work on Friday. I felt bad the night before, a bit fluey which carried on into the next day. Determined to go ont he piss on the Friday though I ploughed myself with multi-vits and took it easy on the friday. Took my staff for lunch and pretty much finished up there and then. That night I started to feel weak so I didnt go on the piss. I lit a fire and watched a dvd. I got up to go to bed and felt really bad, like when you get out of bed after a night drinking whiskey.... (You know when you cant stand upright because your head throbs, so you walk like an old man to the toilet where you sit down and have a lazy piss for a half hour before going back to bed)

So anyway, I went upstairs and started to undress for bed. As I walked towards the bathroom I caught my reflection in the mirror and I noticed a rash forming on my chest. It was late at this stage so I left it till morning. The next morning I rang the doctor who got me to come in straight away in case it was something serious (like meningitis).

After a a brief consultation she told me that I have chicken pox. At age 25, for the second time in my life, I have chicken pox. The virus decides to wait till the 23rd of December, after a very hard period in my life to arrive. Destroying all my Christmas piss up plans. I am covered in itchy red spots... Inbetween my toes, in my ear, under my arm etc etc (chicken pox have no sense of decency as to where they sprout up)

The doctor said it well "I'm sorry to say that it will be allot more painful for you because of your age and because your male..."

Its really fnurkling sore! Its like sunburn that is being tickled by feathers accompanied by an overweight marching band playing "Oh when the saints" backwards in your head. Because of the virus, there is pressure on your head resulting in horrible headaches....

So, anyone else having a ****ty christmas????

Sorry about the rant......

I forgot to add.....

1) i will be well (ready to drink and look normal) on the 2nd..... The day before I go back to work.

2) I cant go near my families house for Christmas for fear of infecting my nieces and nephews. I do have a very special goodfellas pizza for my dinner on Christmas Day though....

Finally, to add a little more humour to the situation, as if it needed it... My two dogs have just been spayed (snip snip for females) so they are walking around the house with cones over there heads to stop them licking the wounds....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh lord that sounds awful, I'm sorry to hear that, hope somethin good comes your way this Christmas though to balance it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

joejoem wrote:

Sorry about the rant......

Nope, all going well here, thanks for asking... :D

P.S. Get well soon.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Not having a bad christmas at all, but after a late night last night came home, couldn't sleep and have been wide awake all day. Added in the beginning of what appears to be a chest infection or flu (I feel like crap), as well as a huge pile up of stuff to get done for tomorrow today has been pretty tough...and I've still to go for pints tonight!(should be fun though). Can't be miserable about it, sure its Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

excellent post..

funny, sarcastic, over the top, honest and very descriptive :)

if it's any consolation, you entertained me for a couple of minutes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

smemon wrote:
    excellent post..

funny, sarcastic, over the top, honest and very descriptive :)

if it's any consolation, you entertained me for a couple of minutes :D

Woo Hoo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Ouch! Don't scratch whatever you do. My uncle ended up in hospital when he got it about 2 years ago (he's in his 40s). The scars are quite deep now, so resist the urge!

My christmas has been fine so far. Having dinner in my sister's house tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

Feel better!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

fook, my sisters kid has chicken pox at the mo and shes still planning on bringing her lot up to visit over christmas :mad: i didnt know you could catch chicken pox twice..and im off the SE asia in the new year

she can feck off if she thinks her now disease riddled family are coming near me now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

In retrospect, its probably just all the drinking catching up on me, the last month has seemed to be one long session...ugh :(

Anyway, cheer up joejoem and hope you're feeling better soon!
    Get loads of calamine lotion and fill the bath and go for a good dip, seemed to put cartman at ease anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I'm in a similar boat, started getting a cough on Friday morning, now I've a really bad cold and sinusitis, forked out €60 to see the doctor today, and another 30 for antibiotics. Thank jebus I got all my shopping done last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Oh, I get it, "poxy"! Very good. haha :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Am getting drunk as i type this. So far so good.

But the night is young.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

anti wrote:

As am I.

Sorry to hear that, joejoem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If no-one else (i.e. your doctor) has told ya about it, a bath in saltwater is great for relieving the ould chicken pox, let yourself air-dry and then smother the little bastards in calamine. I had it twice as well, though I was only about 15 the second time.

Hope the Christmas isn't too miserable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

joejoem wrote:

2) I cant go near my families house for Christmas for fear of infecting my nieces and nephews. I do have a very special goodfellas pizza for my dinner on Christmas Day though....

I dont think its contagious once you have the rash/spots.. On the other hand you could go around infecting your enemies and say 'a pox on you' etc etc !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

anti wrote:

But the night is young.

over here you

i'm gonna meet the ****e out of you

(in the spirit of christmas)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

tk123 wrote:
    I dont think its contagious once you have the rash/spots.. On the other hand you could go around infecting your enemies and say 'a pox on you' etc etc !;)

Yeah, you're right. Once you have the spots, the contagious period has passed.

As for me, I'm nearly 20 and have yet to get chicken pox for the first time. People kept scaring me, saying "Ooohhh, now you'll get shingles when you're older!". Found out yesterday that you can't get shingles unless you've had chicken pox! Lying bástards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Poor fella :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I've never had chicken pox but antibiotics have never stopped me drinking. I'd definitely be going for Christmas dinner though if what tk123 says is true and it isn't contagious anymore.

The area I live has got the annual dose of the winter vomiting bug. My brother in law passed it on to me, my sister (his wife) and his mother. I passed it on to my sister who just got out of bed for the first time all day. I'm only really getting back to 100% now (since yesterday morning) but thank god I'm ok for Christmas. It's a terrible illness. I might just get started on the bottles.

Faith wrote:
    Found out yesterday that you can't get shingles unless you've had chicken pox! Lying bástards.

Seriously?

Thank feck for that! I don't think I've ever gotten chicken pox before.

Christmas and Winter in general is bad for me because I always get sick with either a cold or a chest infection and with annual asthma (only way I could describe it) thats a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Bad luck OP, don't think I've had chicken pox yet. I am feeling awful today though, headache from the depths of hell for the last few days and nowt is working. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

joejoem, this sounds weird but porridge oats in a bath really work. Messy to clean up afterwards but belive me it really works for the itch.
    Feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

ooh lovely. I had chicken pox one christmas when I was about 6. The most memorable part was when I threw up under the Christmas tree while opening my My Little Pony stable. The day only went downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

joejoem wrote:

Yes. I was in on my last day of work on Friday and got a call in the afternoon to tell me that my grandmother had died. Buried her today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

joejoem wrote:
    I am covered in itchy red spots... Inbetween my toes, in my ear, under my arm etc etc (chicken pox have no sense of decency as to where they sprout up)

Oh trust me buddy, there can be worse places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

awwww ya poor thing Joejoem! Hope you get better soon!
    Eat lots and watch a few dvds or something!
    Hope you enjoy your pizza tomorrow! My mother has a vegetarian chickpea loaf made for me! (wohoo)
    Camomile lotion is meant to be good for chicken pox isnt' it? Or what about sudo cream? :)
    I hope you're better for the new year!
    **hugs** :D

Oh trust me buddy, there can be worse places!

eh, I know! I was being polite! Would you like to know?

Stephen wrote:
    Yes. I was in on my last day of work on Friday and got a call in the afternoon to tell me that my grandmother had died. Buried her today :(

Ah man, I'm sorry to hear. I'm sure you would prefer the pox

beachbabe wrote:
    joejoem, this sounds weird but porridge oats in a bath really work. Messy to clean up afterwards but belive me it really works for the itch.
    Feel better soon.

ah ha ha ha ha ha, ah ha ha ha ha ha ha. Do I get into the bath backwards chanting any heathen songs?

I'm drinking wine watching In America, very funny! I may be getting drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sh1t man, sorry to hear that. What a crappy illness at this time of year. My 3 year old has a bad flu - but the thoughts of Santa are keeping her spirits up.

Others have mentioned the 'contagious' period - I've been told (can't confirm the source) that you are contagious until the spots scab over.

Quote : Do I get into the bath backwards chanting any heathen songs?

Of course :D Works a treat..............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 damien79

Well considering that I have to work all over christmas, I suppose I could be havin a better one.
    I too have had chicken pox once and Shingles twice so I do feel your pain..

Advertisement