Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was buying an axe......

Options
  • 23-12-2006 3:16am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭

......in B&Q today and when I got to the counter the cashier asked if I was over 21.:D :D:D I'm so happy, I'm 28 so it's nice to think I could still pass for 20 if I tried. The best bit is that the cashier was only about 18/19, so it means that the teenagers think I might be one of them.:D

This may be even better than the double glazing salesman who called to the door about two months ago and asked if my mum or dad was home.:D

(I know this post is nowhere near as interesting as the title suggests it might be, but I'm not getting home for Christmas and need to take my happiness where I find it).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm sure you'll find that statistically most axe murderers are actually over the age of 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

[QUOTE=iguana(I know this post is nowhere near as interesting as the title suggests it might be, but I'm not getting home for Christmas and need to take my happiness where I find it).[/QUOTE]
    ha ha thats true!-u dont even want to KNOW what i was expecting it to be about...

aw thats like wat happened to me a few days ago,i was in the off licence for the first time since i turned 18 and i was soo happy wen the lad asked me for id and i handed it to him w/out being worried that he'd realise it wasnt mine...;)

i know for my age its better to look older but in this situation-i was delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

u old people are easily pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i only sometime sget asked for id most pubs ask but i neve get asked in offos or shops havent been asked since i was about 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

i was asked my age when i went to buy a paint scraper in homebase, i was 27 at the time. i lolled my way out of the store:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

peepsbates wrote:
    i was asked my age when i went to buy a paint scraper in homebase, i was 27 at the time. i lolled my way out of the store:D

Is there a legal age for scraping paint now???
    Nanny state?? nooooooooooooooooaaaaaah!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

lol, I dunno if I'd wanna look under 21 at 28 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

you will when you are 28 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Nuttzz wrote:
    you will when you are 28 :)

Definitely! Apparently I look young for my age - thank god!
    Getting older is great in some aspects but not when you start getting grey and ugly wrinkles. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

I'm 25 and am asked for ID everywhere I go. It used to wreck my head but now if I don't get asked for ID, I'm straight into the bathrooms to check if any wrinkles have started to show, or if I've sprouted a couple more grey hairs. Long may it last! (I'm seriously considering trying to get away with an under sixteen bus ticket today - that would really put me in the festive mood.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

havent been asked for id in 9 years now

and i dont wish i looked younger. thats just vanity

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My bald patch seems to be a deterrent to people asking me for ID. :mad:

a bald patch is a sign of coolness

if in doubt just shave it all off

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

They sold you an axe !!!! Holy **** having met you that has to be the most worrying thing I have read on boards in ages.

BTW Merry Christmas to you and give your other half a kick in the nuts from me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

My girlfriend is always asked for id and she is 25. Even got asked when buying fags for her brother. I'm 25 and whenever I'm introduced to my brother's friends, they always think I'm his older brother and he is 30. So probably means that when strangers see me with my girlfriend they think that I'm some perv 30 something hanging around with a 17 year old......

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Is this axe for the turkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Since when do you have to be over 21 to buy an axe anyway? I presumed it was 16 (like knives.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

I bought an axe when i was 18 (looked like i was 16) and never got asked for ID.

Damn this nanny state, what if someone whose under 21 needs an axe to cut something down, chop fire wood, etc. What then huh?

Do you need ID to buy a chainsaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Errrr iguana lives in the UK......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Are you sure its not just their policy to ask anyone within reason if they are 21? I mean I used to work in a petrol station and if the person looked around 21-22 you had to ask them for ID just to be sure they where 18. Maybe staff at B&Q are told if the person looks like the might be around 25, then ask them for ID to prove they are over 21.

EDIT: Plus sometimes around the chistmas, funnily enough, I'd ask for ID off women who where obviously early 30's, to make them feel good that they looked that young. Although they might of actually been that young, but the cigarettes had aged them 10 years :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

gandalf wrote:
    Errrr iguana lives in the UK......
    Ah fair enough, they have to be more careful with their axes over there :confused:

L31mr0d wrote:
    I mean I used to work in a petrol station and if the person looked around 21-22 you had to ask them for ID just to be sure they where 18

what if they were driving legally at the age of 17?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

The most depressing night for me about a year ago was when all my friends got asked for ID and I didn't. I clearly look like some old woman. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

When I was a youngster, anyone could buy Tippex thinners. Lethal stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

L31mr0d wrote:
    Although they might of actually been that young, but the cigarettes had aged them 10 years :D

Argh... It's might HAVE!!!!! :eek:

Of does not equal have!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My girlfriend's mum got that all the time. She was 25 with two kids and would get asked if her Mum was home when salesmen came to the door :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

blorg wrote:
    Ah fair enough, they have to be more careful with their axes over there :confused:

Only if called Eugene ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I was ID'ed once when I was in the US going into a club, never before in Ireland. I only had my Garda ID thingy on me and they asked me again (like the bobby in Liverpool airport did before) "Whats your role in the Department of Justice?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You could have spun a handy yarn and ended up running the local fuzz!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Maybe the OP is just looked shifty?

Advertisement