Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fog reports 19th Dec.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Fog only affecting Drogheda and the boyne valley this morning so it was a nice sight to see the tops of hills poking out here and there (similar to Takeshi_Kovacs I'd imagine). Town was in fog all day. It's worse this evening though with fog here too, though not as cold as the lower areas.

There have been some accidents allright. Our own car is a write-off as of this evening. I can't express enough how dangerous the fog is tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

-0.1c so id imagine the Fog here is Freezing atm.Lowest air temp since March too and is still dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Very. very heavy fog here in Shankill. It decended quickly on the M11 motorway when I was driving home. I 've never seen anything like it. Travelling at 120KPH suddently not being able to see the road markings and cars doing 40KPH was quite a shock.

I wouldn't be surprised is there's a few accidents tonight.
    Thats very strange absolutely clear here, as it has been all day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Fog extremely thick here, icy fog..

Ice everywhere and a sharp frost:eek:

Just home from Dublin.
    Fog was dangerous at loughlinstown and for about a mile south of there-then none from there south to here.

Temp on the car driving round Dublin ranged from 1 to 3c and where it was 1c,it was icy.

Here its clear with the temp between 0 and 1c and very icy.

• Advertisement

down to 0.5C and still crystal clear:(. Any chance that this could stop the dartline tomorrow morning if there is a build up of ice on the tracks/overhead cables?

none :p

Temps rising here now 1.1c
    Clear

Whoops wrong thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

trogdor wrote:
    Thats very strange absolutely clear here, as it has been all day

It was very isolated, never experienced it before. The Loughlinstown roundabout was dense with fog but then Shankill village was clear as day :confused: Bizaro.

Freezing fog here and cars and grass are white outside.Temp has been below 0c for over two hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Freezing fog at Dublin airport since 2000Z, vis between 200m and 1100m, mostly around 300-500m :(

• Advertisement

no fog here -none at all since this spell started
    Just clear blue sunny skies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fog cleared overnight and sun trying to poke through the low cloud.

Mike.

Finally some fog here, it's very dense. I wasn't here, but it seems to have formed or rolled over Bray at around 12:15. iT streches from Killiny into Bray but i don't know how far south it extends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Certainly not south to Wicklow. No sign of fog.

Sunshine all the way and a warm 9C.

Very heavy frost (-8C grass) which is lingering in the shade.

Air min -2.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Saw this on the readings for Dublin airport at 5am today:

Temp Dew Point
    5 AM (10) Dec 20 32 (0) 33 (1) 30.71 (1040) W 5

What is strange is that the 32 (0) figure is the temp and the 33 (1) is the dew point - I didn't think the laws of physics allowed for the dew point to be higher than the air temperature. Am I missing something here????

Dp can never be higher than air temp.When two are close or same fog will be the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Yeah, thats what I had thought alright, Snowbie - Obviously a glitch in the readings so :p

Fog starting to thin out a bit now as the temp plummets again

Like clockwork,fog starting to build in here again,same time as yesterday just as the sun goes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

highdef wrote:
    Yeah, thats what I had thought alright, Snowbie - Obviously a glitch in the readings so :p

Temp at Dublin AP at 5am was -1.7C.

Today 2nd suuniest Dec day in my records (only 3 years), 6.1h and tomorrow the shortest day...

No fog whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote:
    No fog whatsoever.
    I now have Fog-Quite dense!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

not much fog here atm.

There was dense fog around 500m's west of my house this mornings over the fields... and the frost never melted in shaded areas:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We've had fog here for 2 days now and temperatures of around freezzing or just below but the strange thing is we've had no ice or frost at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Like Gonzo, there has been fog in the area since Monday night. The fog didn't leave Drogheda today and now the fog is even worse at home, and the temperatures are worse also.

This is to be taken with a good pinch of salt but my forecastfox attachment for where I live tells me there is freezing rain and the temp is -3:eek: The NRA table disagrees though and I estimate my air temp is around -0.5 or -1.

Everything 6 inches above the ground was white this morning. For some reason, the road and ground seemed to be ice-free. Took me a while to realise that the dew I saw on branches etc. was actually frozen.

Advertisement