Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fog reports 19th Dec.....

Options
  • 19-12-2006 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

At 10z, all reporting synoptic stations bar Malin Head are reporting fog!
    http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Meanwhile glorious sunshine in east Wicklow. No sign of any fog this morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

At 13z

Only Valentia has shaken off the fog/mist and joined Malin Head.

Rosslare has mist, all other stations still reporting fog with temps ranging from 2-4C

Meanwhile in east Wicklow, not a cloud to be seen and its 10C!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Nice fog down here in Carlow town, makes it look very cold and some what 'seasonal' outside ;)

Plenty fog all along the avoca valley this morning and I could see it from here.
    Beautifull sunshine here though.
    Same yesterday-just one mile outside Arklow as you travel along the avoca river towards wooden bridge, you go from brilliant sunshine to thick fog.

Fog even more widespread at 15z,
    Malin Head and Rosslare reporting mist, all other stations reporting fog with temps only 2-4C

Still unbroken sunshine in east Wicklow.
    Max above 10C.
    I think it'll drop rapidly to air frost this evening despite dewpoint being 5C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Fog has rolled in here now and temp has dropped off.

• Advertisement

Temp peaked at above 8c here but now is dropping at more than 1c an hour.

No fog-just clear skies and sunset.

Flat calm all day.
    Frost imminent after dark I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yeah its dense fog atm in Swords, Dublin. I may actually have to use my fog lights on the way home from work at 5 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Fog in Cork all day. Many flghts cancelled. But congrats to Shannon airport! Fog has been recorded there every hour but no flight cancellations and hardly any disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,398 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Constant cold fog here in Galway since about 10 am yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭squonk

Fog here all day. Noticed a reading of 2'c at a thermometer on the Naas rd around 8:30 this morning. Based in Skerries so it'll be interesting to see if we have some there. Was clear when I left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭squonk

Should have said I'm based in Clondalkin for work.. which is where it was foggy all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I could see the fog slowly building southwards in Booterstown today. It was getting very dense as i left at around 4:00. From what i can see on my weather station it's been fogfree in Bray all day. There's a little mist around now though, maybe the same fog is still building southwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never lifted here in Waterford.

Mike.

Currently temp is 2.1c and highest daytime temp was 5c around midday even though it was clear and sunny for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

EIDW 191800Z 29004KT 250V010 0300 R16/0500V0700N R28/0600V0750N R10/0550N FG SCT001 SCT002 00/00 Q1038 NOSIG=

Must be close to freezing fog now in Dublin Airport, anyone near the airport confirm this? Untreated roads would be totally lethal if it is freezing fog.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've just come back from the airport where my flight to England, along with many others, was cancelled today. It certainly felt pretty cold. Trying again tomorrow at 16.00 .. any idea what the situation might be like then?

The air is drying out, while there is fog in Dublin airport currently visibilities are getting better despite falling temperatures.
    I'd speculate that it'll be misty/smoky there tomorrow but probably not foggy.

Temp here now -0.5C

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

EIDW 191830Z 28004KT 260V320 0400 R16/0400V0550N R28/0900N R10/0500N FG SCT001 BKN002 M00/M00 Q1038 NOSIG=

It is freezing fog now, but visibility continues to improve - up to 400Metres now, at this rate fog will be gone before morning - take care anyone driving in the area, the roads could be getting very slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Just saw this on the flight times section of Aertel....
    OK7025 1855 NORTH POLE Arrived 1851 - North Pole - WTF???
    Oh, flights are getting seriously delayed at Dublin with the fog....just trying to get back on topic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Never really foggy here until 4/5 this evening...

Bitterly cold and the foggiest period of the day:)

• Advertisement

EIDW 191900Z 28005KT 260V320 0600NW R16/0800V1000N R28/1400U R10/0650N FZFG VV000 M00/M00 Q1038 NOSIG=

Visibility up to 600M in Dublin airport, surely this is more mist than fog, anyone know what the official split is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Thats strange - It's still as thick as ever here in Inchicore, if not worse. Stuck my head out the office window - Jaysus, it's bitter out there!!! Humidity falling at the airport though - 92%. Temp of 0c and DP of -1c. Cant be good for driving!!!

Probably a little more smoggy in Inchicore than around the airport, but would imagine it'll clear up a bit there too - if not overnight would expect it to be misty/smoky there tomorrow but unlikely to be foggy.

Yep sure as heck wouldn't like to be driving around the fog this evening for sure as by now surely a lot of it will be of the freezing variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Just home from a long day at the office.. very foggy at my area but cleared off very quickly and was a very gorgeous morning, clear skies, although as i traveled up north the fog was rolling southwards and only the tips of a few hills were poking through, (quite an impressive sight to see a blanket of white covering all around, wish i had a decent camera to show ye). Around two o clock everywhere was smothered in it and i wouldn't like to be living in an urban area with all the smoke that is hanging around. Very cold as well, air temp must be hovering around -1 to +2 C

Temp fell to 1.1c and back up to 1.3c as fog is thinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

wow, some job driving home (on some backroads). i was down to 20mph in parts because I literally couldnt see where the next bend was, could hardly see the edge of the ditch.

Longfield wrote:
    EIDW 191900Z 28005KT 260V320 0600NW R16/0800V1000N R28/1400U R10/0650N FZFG VV000 M00/M00 Q1038 NOSIG=

Visibility up to 600M in Dublin airport, surely this is more mist than fog, anyone know what the official split is ?

AFAIK, it's 1000m.

As predicted I did record an air frost earlier, +1C at moment. -5C on grass

0.8c and falling Fog is dense atm.

I'm going for a roughly -2.7C min here based on slowing down of drop now (currently reading -1.1C) by morning.

-5 for grass is pretty impressive already, will be interesting to see how low we go overnight for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Very. very heavy fog here in Shankill. It decended quickly on the M11 motorway when I was driving home. I 've never seen anything like it. Travelling at 120KPH suddently not being able to see the road markings and cars doing 40KPH was quite a shock.

I wouldn't be surprised is there's a few accidents tonight.

Advertisement