Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheat? Tobbaco? Cotton?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AnTaoiseach

I think it was originally £10,000.
    Its now €12,700 and if your caught with that much of any drug there is a mandatory 10 year sentence.
    (Although for some reason most judges dont give out nearly that much time for drug cases. I think it was a scare tactic brought out by the justice minister to show how tough the current government are on organized crime and drug trafficking)
    Whether or not your charged as a dealer or a user is usually up to the judge, but whether or not your summonsed or indicted is up to the gardai or the DPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Actually for those who have an interest, the gardai "on the beat" are fully aware of the values of cannabis and other drugs
    Ya they know the street prices but they don't use street values when talking to the press or in court. I wouldn't think they test for potency of hash though, if they did they would have to surely charge you with possesing much less than the lump you have because of the quality of most hash in Ireland.
    Im sure someday all those silly little laws will get amended
    I doubt it, any minister I've seen talking about drugs have blamed them for all Irelands problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ScumLord wrote:
    Ya they know the street prices but they don't use street values when talking to the press or in court. I wouldn't think they test for potency of hash though, if they did they would have to surely charge you with possesing much less than the lump you have because of the quality of most hash in Ireland.

Actually when i was in court someone was found with (according to the gardai (not me btw)) *ahm* "a brown substance which under testing turned out to be potent cannabis resin (pollin) enough for 34hand rolled cigarettes" and the fine was about 200 something while my friend who had enough for 36 hand rolled cigarettes of normel irish soap only got finned like 140 or 160
    ScumLord wrote:
    I doubt it, any minister I've seen talking about drugs have blamed them for all Irelands problems.

well actually once those in power die off or retire - whatever
    and people who know more about it get into power, people who have either smoked themselves or know those that smoke and know the truth that it is not as bad as alcohol, then those silly laws will be changed, imagine the amount of recorces the gardai could re-dirict to fighting crime if they changed drug laws to allow cannabis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know, I'd expect the same kind of knobjockeys to be in government in the future, it takes a special kind of self centered mong to actually want to make a career out of politics and that's the problem. If it's their career their usually not willing to risk that carear to fight an unpopular cause.

You'd need a much more varied cross section of the population in government to get cannabis legalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

OP: Can we have a link to the initial report please? Cheers. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement