Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheat? Tobbaco? Cotton?

Options
  • 19-12-2006 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

Marijuana is now the biggest cash crop grown in the US, exceeding traditional harvests such as wheat, corn and soy beans, says a new report.:eek:

According to US Government estimates domestic marijuana production has increased ten fold over the last 25 years from 1,000 metric tons (2.2 million pounds) in 1981 to 10,000 metric tons (22 million pounds) in 2006. The ongoing proliferation of marijuana cultivation places it beyond the scope of law enforcement capabilities to control and reduce the availability of marijuana under existing public policy.

I thought americans were stupid. Apparantly they're just a bit stoned

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Assuming €20 for a quarter ounce thats about €28,571m which I suspect is a lot less than the end price of wheat or cotton.

Of course wheat, corn and soy are staples, not cash crops.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

which I suspect is a lot less than the end price of wheat or cotton.
    Really? Wheat and cotton cost more than €20 for a quarter oz? I would have assumed it's allot cheeper than that seeing as it's produced on an industrial scale.

Jayz, when you put a number like $48,000m in front of a capitolist how can they not see the benifits of taxing it.

That's a huge number considering they have the Mexicans to the south and avid farmers to the north. It's apity we couldn't produce our own that would put an end to the crap being sold on the streets.

ScumLord wrote:
    Really? Wheat and cotton cost more than €20 for a quarter oz? I would have assumed it's allot cheeper than that seeing as it's produced on an industrial scale.
    I'm suggesting total sales of wheat-based products exceeds €28,571m. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Just Say Know

Victor wrote:
    Assuming €20 for a quarter ounce
    I would imagine it is valued at at least $10 per gram. This is not mexican ditch weed, or the contaminated hash that eurpoeans suffer. In the past 25 years home growing has taken off hugely in the US. Most doing it properly are turning out extremely good product which commands a high price. Nobody wants the inferior imported crap anymore.

It's apity we couldn't produce our own that would put an end to the crap being sold on the streets.
    You can

You need to have lights and stuff though and if your caught your a major drug dealer.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote:
    You need to have lights and stuff though and if your caught your a major drug dealer.
    That really depends on the judge/cop. Why would you be caught in the first place? Only grow for yourself. Many judges would throw out such cases as a waste of court time, you are separating yourself from the ciminal element and associated crime so many will turn a blind eye. Several countries allow the growth of a small number of plants for personal use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I would imagine it is valued at at least $10 per gram. This is not mexican ditch weed,....
    Mexican ditch weed?
    You got a grudge against mexico or something?
    That country is known for quality grass in USA, the only "ditch weed" you hear about there is stuff the yanks grew for rope during WWII.
    Specially selected i believe for its lack of potency.

RedPlanet wrote:
    Mexican ditch weed?
    You got a grudge against mexico or something?
    That country is known for quality grass in USA, the only "ditch weed" you hear about there is stuff the yanks grew for rope during WWII.
    Specially selected i believe for its lack of potency.

Nothing against mexico. In the 60's & 70's it may have been known for relative quality but not really any more than any other countries. You cannot really compare it to hemp which is specific strains grown for fibre qualities, meaning they grow tall with little buds, it did happen to be low in potency but it is grown more for fibres.

In saying all that of course you could still grow crap indoors! And in the 70s many americans were trying to grow outdoors but totally ignorant of what they were doing so the mexican was still better. But these days commercially grow indoor weed is usually far better than any mexican crops. "ditch weed" is a common term for it, not my invention.
    charter wrote:
    Drug Talk
    - Discussion of drugs is allowed. Telling people where to buy or requesting that information isn't allowed. Magic Mushrooms, Salvia, DMT etc. are covered by this. Why? Because the admins do not want to be held responsible for posts telling people where to get drugs of any kind. Simple. You can argue about the legality all you want as long as you understand the restrictions on such topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

charter wrote:
    Drug Talk
    - Discussion of drugs is allowed. Telling people where to buy or requesting that information isn't allowed. Magic Mushrooms, Salvia, DMT etc. are covered by this. Why? Because the admins do not want to be held responsible for posts telling people where to get drugs of any kind. Simple. You can argue about the legality all you want as long as you understand the restrictions on such topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

But these days commercially grow indoor weed is usually far better than any mexican crops. "ditch weed" is a common term for it, not my invention.
    It certainly is a common term.
    But that's not the point.
    The point is that you've specifically stated Mexican ditch weed.
    As though low grade grass comes from Mexico.
    Obviously that is not the case.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acapulco_gold
    The majority of grass you'll find growing outdoors in USA is stuff they've intentionally planted for making rope during WWII.
    Sometimes unscrupulous individuals harvest this stuff and sell it to people.

• Advertisement

charter wrote:
    Drug Talk

I've got previous (for hash, nothing bad like) so I think I would get jail if they found me with plants. Although I suppose I could argue the fact that I've done nothing wrong other than break a unjustified law. Our local Judge is notorious for hating drug users though so I doubt she'd sallow it. They should really send her to Dublin she wouldn't give any of the real scumbags an inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

According to the Wheat Organisation Resource of Council, in 2001 wheat was worth $5.5 billion, and that was a bad year for them.

According to the National Cotton council, 1993 cotton production was worth $120billion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

charter wrote:
    Drug Talk

Mine never grew that big though, they where always really short. One stoped growing for 2 months then took off again and died when it tried to bud.

RedPlanet wrote:
    It certainly is a common term.
    But that's not the point.
    The point is that you've specifically stated Mexican ditch weed.
    As though low grade grass comes from Mexico.
    Obviously that is not the case.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acapulco_gold
    The majority of grass you'll find growing outdoors in USA is stuff they've intentionally planted for making rope during WWII.
    Sometimes unscrupulous individuals harvest this stuff and sell it to people.
    I only mentioned mexico since another poster did. I have heard the term "mexican ditch weed" before, perhaps it is in some film, type in "mexican ditch weed" in google and I got 90 hits I couldnt find another to get any hits, e.g. "columbian ditch weed", maybe there is another slang term for that. I have nothing against mexico! all I am getting at is that nowadays indoor professionally culitvated weed is usually superior to weed grown using traditional methods, you could name any country, morroco, afghanistan, columbia etc.

If you find wild hemp growing in the USA it will probably be crap, and cultivated mexican weed will be better. I doubt that report in the OP is about wild growing hemp, it is about indoor culitvation of cannabis specifically for THC.

Sangre wrote:
    According to the Wheat Organisation Resource of Council, in 2001 wheat was worth $5.5 billion, and that was a bad year for them.

According to the National Cotton council, 1993 cotton production was worth $120billion
    So they would probably value the 10,000 tons (10,000,000,000grams) @ $10 per gram as $100billion.
    charter wrote:
    Drug Talk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Victor wrote:
    Assuming €20 for a quarter ounce thats about €28,571m which I suspect is a lot less than the end price of wheat or cotton.

Of course wheat, corn and soy are staples, not cash crops.

20 for 1/4? seems a bit off? in ireland i thought it was around 250-300 for a ounce of good
    it was 100 or 120 for "ditch" african and mexican stuff
    ScumLord wrote:

If you can prove for 100% that its personal use then thats all you will be charged with

RedPlanet wrote:
    Yes, the link mentions it was popular in the 60's & 70s, as I said before back then it would have been better, it is only in the last 30 years that knowledge of cultivation techniques have been developed. If you had seeds from back then I would bet if it was properly cultivated indoors it would be better than outdoor traditionally grown weed.

you often hear one reason for banning is that it is so much stronger than it used to be. Some older people esp. in the US would say "oh when we were in college it was mild, but nowadays it is too strong and should not be allowed". This actually goes against most reasoning for banning, the point shows more reason for it not to be banned. It is stronger so you smoke less so inhale less smoke so less tar etc is lining your lungs. If beer was only available in the 60's and whiskey was only around now it would be a similar comparison, you do not go and drink 8 pints of whiskey like you might do beer!

This thread has gone a little off-topic, one point not really mentioned is that the US is looking at an estimated cash crop of €100 billion. Ireland is said to have a high usage rate too. Cannabis is extremely cheap to grow, the main cost is paying for the risk involved in growing/smuggling, it just goes to show the massive sums of money that are falling into criminals hands when it could be taxed at a similar price and make billions of revenue, also relieving the massive costs associated with policing the "crime"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ScumLord wrote:

Only if your crop is worth €10000 and there is sufficent evidence that you intend to sell. Lights aren't that hard to get in fairness. I think you would be surprised at how much weed is actually grown here...

Surely that can't be right. If you get caught with under €10000 of high quality weed in the plant form you can get off with it??? Yet if you get caught with €300 (4 1/2oz) of **** soap your a drug dealer and get a suspended sentence.

• Advertisement

That's what I read in an article on coke about two years ago, but will google to find out for sure.

That's what I read in an article on coke about two years ago, but will google to find out for sure. What I meant was that the level of offence differs depending on how much of the drug you have nad if you are selling or not. But I will find the facts for sure now.

Edit ok here we go, misuse of drugs act, 1984;
    Possession of controlled drugs - cannabis or cannabis resin

Under the Misuse of Drugs Act, 1984, anyone found in possession of cannabis or cannabis resin is guilty of an offence. If the court decides that the drug was for personal use and not for sale or distribution and this was a first offence, it can impose a fine not exceeding 381 euro on summary conviction in a District Court. On conviction on indictment, the defendant can be fined 635 euro. For a second offence, a fine not exceeding 508 euro may be imposed and on conviction on indictment, a fine of 1,270 euro can be imposed. For a third or subsequent conviction, a fine not exceeding 1,270 euro can be imposed. If the court decides, a prison sentence of not more than 12 months can be imposed as well. On conviction on indictment, the court may decide on an appropriate fine and/or a prison sentence of up to three years can be imposed.
    Growing cannabis plants or opium poppies

It is also an offence to grow cannabis plants or opium poppies and on summary conviction for this offence, you could be liable for a fine not exceeding 1,270 euro or a prison sentence of no longer than 12 months. If the court decides, you could be liable for both. On conviction on indictment for growing these plants, the court can decide on an appropriate fine and you could also be liable for a prison sentence of not more than 14 years. Again, if the court decides, you could be liable for both.
    Dealing drugs

Under the Misuse of Drugs Act, 1984, it is an offence to be in possession of a controlled drug with the intention of selling it illegally. Anyone found guilty of this offence can be fined up to 1,270 euro on summary conviction in a District Court. It the court decides, he or she could be subject to a fine and a prison term not exceeding 12 months. On conviction on indictment for this offence, the court can decide on an appropriate fine. The court can also impose a life sentence for this offence if it decides it is necessary. However, lesser sentences can also be imposed, either with a fine or alone.

sorry for the big quotes, but at least I have the information clear now.

ScumLord wrote:
    Surely that can't be right. If you get caught with under €10000 of high quality weed in the plant form you can get off with it??? Yet if you get caught with €300 (4 1/2oz) of **** soap your a drug dealer and get a suspended sentence.

I think you can knock a few zeros off that! think they were just exagerrating to prove the point. You would probably get off lighter being caught with a 1oz block of hash than 3/4 oz split up into "deals". It all depends on if you look like a dealer or not. They also do not take kindly to hydroponic systems since it looks more "chemically", and is often branded a "skunk factory" by the media, as though you are cooking up methamphetamine. Even the lights seems like you are semi-pro, rather than a green house grow which is easier to pass of as a misguided experiment.
    charter wrote:
    Drug Talk

I thought this thread was going to be about slavery.

So basically if the US government legalized some drugs and commercialized it to a certain extent, then they would be making alot of revenue?

Maybe we should do that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i don't like locking threads.
    any further discussion of growing techniques and the like will get you banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

A good chunk of the quality weed in the states comes from canada now as the laws there are more realistic then in the states.
    this figure is absolute bull****.
    "just say no" your comments are all wrong mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Doffaldinho

Hopefully someone will get some into the country :(

You would probably get off lighter being caught with a 1oz block of hash than 3/4 oz split up into "deals".
    You would ya, but the way they price it up is rediculus they make out you at least 3 times more than you have. they price almost everything as €20 a gram or per spliff. So an eight becomes over €60s worth. They always go for the most extremme measurment. All those drug sezures you see on the news would be 1/3 of the value they say they are.

That's why I think if they caught you with plants they'd almost weigh the plant still in it's pot and say you had that much cannabis ready to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

"Dealing drugs

Under the Misuse of Drugs Act, 1984, it is an offence to be in possession of a controlled drug with the intention of selling it illegally. Anyone found guilty of this offence can be fined up to 1,270 euro on summary conviction in a District Court. It the court decides, he or she could be subject to a fine and a prison term not exceeding 12 months. On conviction on indictment for this offence, the court can decide on an appropriate fine. The court can also impose a life sentence for this offence if it decides it is necessary. However, lesser sentences can also be imposed, either with a fine or alone."

Ehem - Bollox - i know its the law here but from what i can see above it simply says offense to sell an controlled/illegal drug but i dont get it say i sell some hash/weed to scumlord and just say know sells some heroin to brianthebard
    We get the same sentence? same fine? because from what ive read the irish government does not understand or else will not accept what hash/weed relay are?
    ScumLord wrote:
    You would ya, but the way they price it up is rediculus they make out you at least 3 times more than you have. they price almost everything as €20 a gram or per spliff. So an eight becomes over €60s worth. They always go for the most extremme measurment. All those drug sezures you see on the news would be 1/3 of the value they say they are.

That's why I think if they caught you with plants they'd almost weigh the plant still in it's pot and say you had that much cannabis ready to sell.

Actually for those who have an interest, the gardai "on the beat" are fully aware of the values of cannabis and other drugs (well most of then would be anyway)
    I was talking to a garda in nass court for having a little bit of hash at***music concert thing whose name is censored out*** during the lunch i was talking to the garda and he was sound enough and i was asking whats the deal with the fines/amounts you guys are handing out they seem a bit off...
    (my mate had enough for about 4 and the gardai said enough for 38)
    Anyway so i asked and he explained to me that it is done by a special gardai unit who simply weigh the substance and also test it for potency.
    0.13 of a gram is enough for a joint according to a gardai (well we all know that is DEFIANTLY not enough) there is 28.3 grams in an ounce so according to the gardai you should get 217 and 1/2 joints out of an ounce..... lol id love to see someone try to get 217 out of an ounce of weed.

Im sure someday all those silly little laws will get amended i think we more less have to wait for those that are in power just to die or **** off or whatever once some young blood gets into power it will be ok (not even someone that smokes just someone who knows people who smokes and know that it is not as bad as it is portrayed)

• Advertisement

User45701 wrote:
    20 for 1/4? seems a bit off? in ireland i thought it was around 250-300 for a ounce of good
    :( But I googled! (and found boards.ie :)).

The €10,000 figure is that you can be presumed to be a trafficker as opposed to a dealer or user.

Advertisement