Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking next door.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nite11owl

The ISPCA can take the dog away or give a word of warning to the owners.
    As above the best thing is to say it to the owners
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    report this cruelty and total lack of shelter to the ISPCA who will call over for a look (during the day) and deal with the owner. Make sure you call the ISPCA when the weather is minging for maximum effect.

I'll give you 3-1 they will take the dog away.

@Blind the ISPCA can ot remove an animal from anywhere without first a vet saying that the animal is suffering due to the condition it is in, the Gardia also have to autherise this action.

@Sponge I'll give you 100-1 they wouldnt take it, first of all they would be advised o get a shelter if thats the only thing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

ok, first of all i deeply sympathise with the op , there is nothing more head wrecking than listening to some idiot ( and it is only dumb dogs who bark all the time and im a dog lover ) of a dog barking all day long

i had this problem with two different neighbours and i live in the country , on both occasions i apporached the owners and on both occasions was told where to go , i however made it clear that there were nuisance laws in place and that if the situation did not improove i would take action , what happend then was even though i was told where to go which is baschically what undesirables do when confronted , the situation did improove , many out there will be all defiant when confronted but after acting in a typically reactionary fashion will refelct and decide they dont need some crank . i.e me annoying them again so its a case of sometimes its worth falling out with people so i say dont expect the owners to be that welcoming of your complaint , people who allow dogs to lessen the quality of life of their neighbours are obviously inconsiderate to begin with so are unlikely to be civilised and enlightend about a neighbour making a complaint so its best to go in with some kind of veiled threat
    as for the authorities , this is ireland , public servants and i include the guards and the local authority do as little as they possibly can and will most likely try and engage in the grand old tradition of buck passing

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Irish dogs...

As an animal rescue man of high repute told us, dogs do not bark without reason. Such as cold, or being locked in or tied up.

Once we had a neighbour with a wee Jack Russell, which barked non-stop for hours. They were working with the sheep and had tied it up.
    A very caring note offering to help brought irate wrath down on us....

In this house, our neighbour's collie starting barking all night; they are deaf and have double glazing as we learned when we called on them with great concern for their dog. She was tied up all the while, not being trained, and seeing the foxes and badgers passing.

These are good caring folk and they moved her to the back of the house and she now has greater freedom.

In Donegal Town, we saw a woman, well-dressed, who threw her dog out of the car at the top of the pier - right opposite the Garda station - then drove off to the end of the pier. Poor dog barking and howling as it chased the car. That was the way she exercised it... we took the reg number of the car and called our good friends at Donegal Pet Rescue and they called the Gardai. End of problem.
    And Pet Rescue tell us we can pick up any critter being ill-treated and they will kennel it until it is rehomed.
    Like many, they have a no-kill policy. Sligo on the other hand puts dogs down after a few days.
    Leitrim also has an excellent dog rescue place with a no-kill policy.
    We have two dogs now; both rescues. One is a collie who was tied up 24/7 because the owner had died and his family had no room for it. She was being fed but alone all day and night. She hardly barked, poor girl. Too depressed...Again we asked could we take her and she is now a gentle and devoted dog. It has taken over a year for her to gain confidence.
    Sometimes actual intervention is needed. Learn what your local resources are; there are more and more pet rescue places now.
    We would happily climb a fence and remove that wee dog:) wait for the owners to be out, which sounds simple in this case, and go in. Been there, done that:)

Advertisement