Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking next door.

Options
  • 15-12-2006 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

This has probably been asked on numerous occasions on this forum but I couldn't find anything on any of the threads currently here.

Anyway, the neighbour next door has a young Yorkshire Terrier. When they go to work every day they leave the dog out the back, who spends most of the day barking, maybe a volley of barks every 2-3 minutes. He does this from about 07:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. In some ways it's hard to blame him, as he has no place to shelter out the back, which is very poor with all the rain and high winds.

I own the house that i'm in and rent out the spare rooms to a few lads, who are being affected more by this than me as their roomsare located at the back. One of them works night shift sometimes and finds it hard to sleep with the dog.

I feel as a person with tenants and a homeowner it's time to say something to the neighbours about trying to keep the dog quiet.

The thing is, I was wondering that if I don't get a good reception by the neighbours, who I don't know as I have only moved in here since September, do I have any other options? This is surely considered noise pollution? Does that mean I could contact the Gardai and/or local council?

Also I'm a big dog lover and feel that he is being kept in unacceptable conditions in the back of the house. Could I contact the local branch of the ISPCA?

Hopefully a quick word will sort things out, I just like to look before I leap so to speak, before I do say anything. There would be nothing worse than having both a barking dog and a p*ssed off neighbour who didn't take my quick word the right way, and have no means to sort it out.

Thanks for reading. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Is there anyone on the other side of that house? If there is, ask they are having the same problem.

If you don't want to your lodger to move then you need to do something about it sooner rather than later.

Mention it to them that the dog is keeping people awake and barks all day. They probably don't know there is a problem.

On the other hand, the dog has no shelter, left outside all day and doesn't seem to be getting any attention. That isn't good either.

You will probably get a good response over on Animal and Pet Issues. Threads like this pop up now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is it a managed estate? - talk to the management company (well, talk to the neighbours first, if you get no joy go to the management company)

we've got a couple of yappy dogs living out the back of us, also confined for long periods in small gardens. TBH there's not much you can do about it - the ISPCA have bigger fish to fry (er, not literally) and the guards may not be that interested. You could possibly go down the legal route, take out an injuction against the owners, but it wouldn't be cheap, and you've still got to live next door to them.

last resort? the city is apparently awash with guns - shoot the fecker!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

If you can see the dog from your back window, buy a black widow slingshot, everytime he barks, hit him with a pebble or something. He should soon get the picture.

a dog such as a Yorkshire terrier is whats called a TOY BREED these dogs HATE to be left alone. Also they get cold very easily - they are essentially INDOOR DOGS and should be kept indoors not out in the cold. I have a Cavalier King Charles (also a TOY BREED) and it shivers if its put out in the cold and it also BARKS BARKS BARKS if its left out. Indoors its fine - even when alone. Tell your neighbours what their dog does and suggest it be kept indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

a dog such as a Yorkshire terrier is whats called a TOY BREED these dogs HATE to be left alone. Also they get cold very easily - they are essentially INDOOR DOGS and should be kept indoors not out in the cold. I have a Cavalier King Charles (also a TOY BREED) and it shivers if its put out in the cold and it also BARKS BARKS BARKS if its left out. Indoors its fine - even when alone. Tell your neighbours what their dog does and suggest it be kept indoors
    Agreed totally. Personally, I'd toss a squeeky ball into the garden.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote:
    Agreed totally. Personally, I'd toss a squeeky ball into the garden.

not a bad idea! but that breed of dog will get severe arthritis as a result of being left out in all weather with no shelter. Contact the Ispca

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Legally I don't think there's anything you can do unless it's barking before 7am or after 11. No harm in contacting the neighbour and suss them out to see if they know their dog is barking half the day away while they are gone.

The ISPCA can take the dog away or give a word of warning to the owners.
    As above the best thing is to say it to the owners

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

loyatemu wrote:
    last resort? the city is apparently awash with guns - shoot the fecker!
    Not good.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    If you can see the dog from your back window, buy a black widow slingshot, everytime he barks, hit him with a pebble or something. He should soon get the picture.
    Banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

report this cruelty and total lack of shelter to the ISPCA who will call over for a look (during the day) and deal with the owner. Make sure you call the ISPCA when the weather is minging for maximum effect.

I'll give you 3-1 they will take the dog away.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I'll give you 3-1 they will take the dog away.
    What happens if they can't find it a home?

Talk to the neighbours, tbh. I know a few people who had big dogs when growing up, and thus had them outside, so when the neighbous got a small dog, they may have just left it outside, not knowing any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Below is taken from www.citizensinformation.ie

Barking Dogs
    Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. Your District Court can make an order requiring the reduction of excessive barking by a dog, can limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or can direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden as an unwanted dog.

You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Noise Regulations. Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by downloading and completing a special form under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MelanieD

If you are considering going down the legal route, then you would need to approach your neighbour first. If they are unreasonable people, then you could use that against them in the district court. You need to demostrate that you have tried to take some action to alleviate the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Seany

Agreed. I'd say look into what options there legally and enquire as to what is the normal process of making a formal complaint. Once you are aware of this I would contact your neighbour and use this information only as a last resort.

[I can't stress this enough]

Most reasonable people don't like complaining and also do not enjoy people complaining to them..so how you go about this will probably ultimatley determine how this is resolved. On a couple of occaisions I have witnessed people having a go at each other and both automatically going on the defensive quoting noise pollution and ISPCA rather than trying to tackle the problem at hand first.

I don't know what type of relationship who have with your neighbour (if any) but instead of walking in headstrong and demanding that something be done about it, try politely mention that your tennents work nights and have trouble sleeping because of the barking.

Might seem stange but a lot of people consider their pets to be a part of the family so consider how you would feel if someone was having a go and a son/daughter or neice/nephew.

Sorry for the rant! I find that it can be a tricky area and if not addressed properly could lead to other problems down the line. Nobody wants the neighbours from hell :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Seany wrote:
    Might seem stange but a lot of people consider their pets to be a part of the family so consider how you would feel if someone was having a go and a son/daughter or neice/nephew.

You see, Seany, therein lies the problem. Children are part of a family. A dog is an animal. Housing estates are built for people - not animals. If they want to keep animals then do so in an orderly fashion. Period. In many parts of America now the dog's ability to bark is surgically removed.

The sooner the better it's introduced here.

Freddie59 wrote:
    In many parts of America now the dog's ability to bark is surgically removed.

The day its introduced here, is the day I buy a shotgun. I like to hear the dog barking at me when it approachs me, or if I go to near "its" property. Esp the large guard dogs.

Freddie59 wrote:
    You see, Seany, therein lies the problem. Children are part of a family. A dog is an animal. Housing estates are built for people - not animals. If they want to keep animals then do so in an orderly fashion. Period. In many parts of America now the dog's ability to bark is surgically removed.

And for a couples who cant have children and buy a family pet?

You are obviously not a dog lover and which not all people are and I rspect that. But I also expect people to respect my view as someone who has a pet and doesnt just consider "it as an animal".

Its peoples individual perception of an "orderly fashion" that is to blame and not the "animal" itself. Myself and my fiancee spent several weeks researching before buying a pet and then several more weeks bringing the dog to obediance training.. If I learned anything there and what most trainers will tell you that it is more people training than dog training. We cannot converse with pets as we do with other people so its finding a way to communicate with your pet in a way they understand.

As for surgically removing a dog ability to bark...I think this is quite cruel. There are many people in this world who I would surely put forward for this medical procedure before any dog. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Seany wrote:
    As for surgically removing a dog ability to bark...I think this is quite cruel. There are many people in this world who I would surely put forward for this medical procedure before any dog. :p

Not as cruel as leaving a barking dog in a house for 12 hours a day ...cruel on dog and neighbours that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

you could just write a letter to the neighbour and stick in the letter box when they are at work... signed your sleepy neighbours....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

An anonymous note in the letterbox suggesting that some of thier neighbours are so frustrated at the barking that they propose tossing a piece of meat laced with rat poison into their yard if they don't contain the barking might force some action ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I can't understand that whenever this topic comes up, people automtically presume that the owners of the dog will deny there is a problem, and that having a word with them will make matters worse. Is society really that broken down? Look, OP, you are perfectly within your rights to have a friendly chat with your neighbours, if for nothing else to let them know that the problem exists! I think 99% of posters on boards, if something like this was presented to them in a reasonable way, would be mortified that their dog was causing a problem, and would take immediate steps to correct it. It's called being a responsible citizen. I know there are scumbags who would tell ya to f*ck off, but these are in the minority. Imagine the next door neighbour knocked on your door, apologised, and said "look, I hate to bring this up, but my daughter is having problems sleeping because your tv is a little loud at night - I'd really appreciate it if you could turn it down". Whats the problem there? if it were said to me I'd say "No problem, I'm sorry, I didn't know, it won't happen again".

Talk to your neighbours, let them know, and don't let this turn into a big issue in your mind. Forget about calling the cops or the ispca or whatever - do the decent thing, and talk to them. You may end up being friends!

too many people nowadays are afraid to talk to the person living next door, and it's f*ucking up society. rant over.

tbh wrote:
    I can't understand that whenever this topic comes up, people automtically presume that the owners of the dog will deny there is a problem, and that having a word with them will make matters worse. Is society really that broken down? Look, OP, you are perfectly within your rights to have a friendly chat with your neighbours, if for nothing else to let them know that the problem exists! I think 99% of posters on boards, if something like this was presented to them in a reasonable way, would be mortified that their dog was causing a problem, and would take immediate steps to correct it. It's called being a responsible citizen. I know there are scumbags who would tell ya to f*ck off, but these are in the minority. Imagine the next door neighbour knocked on your door, apologised, and said "look, I hate to bring this up, but my daughter is having problems sleeping because your tv is a little loud at night - I'd really appreciate it if you could turn it down". Whats the problem there? if it were said to me I'd say "No problem, I'm sorry, I didn't know, it won't happen again".

Talk to your neighbours, let them know, and don't let this turn into a big issue in your mind. Forget about calling the cops or the ispca or whatever - do the decent thing, and talk to them. You may end up being friends!

too many people nowadays are afraid to talk to the person living next door, and it's f*ucking up society. rant over.

+1

Well stated.

Seany wrote:
    And for a couples who cant have children and buy a family pet?

You are obviously not a dog lover and which not all people are and I rspect that. But I also expect people to respect my view as someone who has a pet and doesnt just consider "it as an animal".

Its peoples individual perception of an "orderly fashion" that is to blame and not the "animal" itself. Myself and my fiancee spent several weeks researching before buying a pet and then several more weeks bringing the dog to obediance training.. If I learned anything there and what most trainers will tell you that it is more people training than dog training. We cannot converse with pets as we do with other people so its finding a way to communicate with your pet in a way they understand.

You're being very presumptious my friend. I am an ex-dog owner (twice over) and am extremely fond of dogs. I also take care of a relation's dog in my own home for extended periods from time to time.

Your quote about putting certain people for this procedure ahead of the animals demonstrates your thinking. There are many responsible dog owners, and I know several of them. But then there are the minority of mindless, moronic assholes who mistreat their pets and make their neighbour's lives hell. And these must be dealt with. Paddy's case (and my own in recent years) highlight the neglect suffered by many misfortunate dogs in Ireland today.

Usually caused by "small man" syndrome.

tbh wrote:
    I know there are scumbags who would tell ya to f*ck off, but these are in the minority.

I have been down this road......and it ain't pretty. Unless you've experienced it you can't really comment (or rant) on it. Yes - you're right. 99% (maybe a bit less) are law-abiding, decent people. But what do you do with the ones you mention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

pm sent, but in summary you can't let the minority of scumbags make us all afraid to talk to our neighbours - i accept that's easy for me to say tho.

tbh wrote:
    pm sent, but in summary you can't let the minority of scumbags make us all afraid to talk to our neighbours - i accept that's easy for me to say tho.

Thanks tbh.

PM reply sent.

Freddie.

Freddie59 wrote:
    You're being very presumptious my friend. I am an ex-dog owner (twice over) and am extremely fond of dogs. I also take care of a relation's dog in my own home for extended periods from time to time.

Perhaps, I was being presumptious but in my opinion to seriously consider a forced medical procedure to disable a dog barking doent show many signs of an animal lover.

Dogs bark, sleep, eat, crap, etc... it is down to a responsible owner to ensure that this doesnt provide a nuisance to surrounding neighbours. Its difficult to generalise and it may be wishful thinking but I'd imagine 9/10 people confronted with a problem would be react reasonably providing the issue is first brought to their attention in a reasonable manner (Not "what are you gonna do about that stupid dog of yours"!).

My original point was that this issue tends to esculate as a result of the way the problem has been raised & argued and it becomes a battle of wills as opposed to addressing the problem at hand. If you are one of the unfortunate that is dealing with the other 1/10, well then once you have tried to reason with the person and failed, you've every right to pursue further.
    Freddie59 wrote:
    Your quote about putting certain people for this procedure ahead of the animals demonstrates your thinking.

I wasnt actually serious here mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

There are 2 barkers in my neighbourhood barking 24 hours. Now I dont live next door to them but I live within 500 meters and I can hear them clearly through double glazing. If I lived next door there would be 2 approaches I would take.

1) Suggest the owners muzzle the dog.
    2) Threat of legal action via county council

I know however of a case where a friend of mine had their cat poisoned by a neighbour. One particular neighbour had warned that all the neighbourhood cats were pooping in his garden. He let people know that if they could not control their animals he would instead. Now as we all know cats do not respond well to instruction...

Bottom line one weekend ALL the cats in the neighbourhood died of poisoning. Slow agonising deaths as well.

On the other side of the argument the guy had just had a kid and wanted to be able to use his garden but it was covered in cat poop. Who comes first a cat or a baby?

There is an argument that the people who seem to own dogs are the least capable of owning them. I would love a dog but I know it would just end up a barker cause me and my wife would be at work all day.

Seany wrote:
    I wasnt actually serious here mate.

Apologies for that my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As of others have said, the first thing to do is approach the neighbour and let them know. 99% of the time this should work just fine.

However if it doesn't, I've seen a device that you can put in your garden, then senses when a dog is barking within a certain distance and makes one of those noises that iterates dogs but humans can't hear like a dog whistle. Supposedly it will train the dog not to bark.

Now I'm not sure if these actually work or if they are cruel to dogs (any opinions?) and it won't solve the real problem of the dog not having a dog house out back, but might be worth a try:

http://www.pestcontrolshop.co.uk/acatalog/barking-dog-control-products.html

Advertisement